Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bid for upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2018, 4:14 pm

I was successful in bidding for an upgrade from economy to premium economy (ORD to FCO) at 160 euros per person.

However, we are in seats 8A and 8C on the A330, and I've heard some reports that these are very close to the bulkhead, giving very limited legroom. I'm wondering if I should switch to the middle section in Row 9 or 10 (only option available). Anyone have any experience with these seats?
Old Sep 16, 2018, 3:42 pm

Programs: LH FTL, LATAM Platinum, KL Silver, UA Premier Silver
More than 72 h before departure, I have been confirmed the upgrade from Y+ to C from GRU to FCO at a price of EUR 300.00 which I found very acceptable.

I have been assigned a single seat in row 11 (the last in the C cabin and I am not able to change this online), so I could perhaps suffer some menu issues, but for me getting a decent bit of sleep is what counts in first place.

If I remember correctly, this was the lowest possible bid for this route or at least very close.

Together with the upgrade, I have now paid around EUR 900.00 for a one-way which includes an SCL - GRU leg in Y+ (on LA, but bought through AZ) and finally the short hop from FCO to NCE in Y - quite good value in my opinion.

Last edited by SenSCL; Sep 16, 2018 at 3:50 pm
Old Sep 29, 2018, 6:10 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Elite Gold
My itinerary:
9/21 LAX-FCO
9/29 FCO-LAX

Bid 650‎€ each way, minimum was 580€. Seemed fair since rack rate for business class on those dates was around $9k, I bought my economy round trip for $1300. If both bids would've been accepted, I would've paid ~$2700 for the round trip.

My LAX-FCO was accepted but Alitalia had an issue processing payment. They sent me an email to to update my card details and said that if there was availability, they would try to process it again. Their instructions said not to check in to the flight until I got further notice. I made the mistake of checking in before receiving those instructions. I then canceled my check in but never got my upgrade. I don't know whether it's because there was no availability or because I had checked in previously. Either way, I was stuck in economy and it was a terrible flight. My cupholder was broken and one end of my seatbelt was stuck between the seats. These planes are ancient and the entertainment system screen was maybe 4", and there's no wifi.

Luckily with my new card details, my FCO-LAX return flight later today has been upgraded! Still, I'm not expecting much with these planes being so old.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: DL GM
Bid 540 Euros for JFK-FCO this week, and it was accepted at the T-72 hour mark. Especially nice since it's a reasonably long TATL flight (compared to something like JFK-CDG), I was able to get a solid 5-6 hours of sleep.

Keith
Old Dec 5, 2018, 2:23 pm

Programs: MilleMiglia, Etihad Guest, Le Club AccorHotels
I find this topic full of very useful tips and a huge THANK YOU to all the participants. I will most likely travel BEG-FCO-YYZ and vice versa in late June 2019 in PE. Alitalia is the only airline to affer PE on this route just a bit under 1000 EUR.

Has anyone got any info about the biddings FCO-YYZ / YYZ-FCO?

It might be off topic, but... my one and only bidding experience (a successful one was with LH on MUC-BEG flight for 85EUR in January 2018).
Old Dec 6, 2018, 1:45 am

Dobar dan, @darusazrs.

A very warm welcome amongst us here on FlyerTalk and I hope all well down in Београд

Concerning the bidding process: I am relatively sure you would already be able to see the minimum offer following the link below (and inputting your booking code etc. needless to say)

https://upgrade.plusgrade.com/offer/Alitalia

A number of reports from other users suggest that the minimum bid is often accepted but you could also do some 'homework' at some point (i.e. say 2/3 months before your flight) and see how busy the cabin is (I'm sure you've heard of ExpertFlyer).

Please let us know in case of any further questions and, again, welcome to FlyerTalk!

G
Old Dec 22, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Amex Travel, Last minute

2 Questions:
Is one eligible to bid on an upgrade if the ticket is issued by alitalia but purchased through AmEx travel? (IME, tickets purchased through AmEx travel are still issued by the operating carrier)

Does the Bid for Upgrade window "close" at 72 hours pre-departure? (Would look to upgrade from PE to Biz which doesn't seem to be possible on tge Checkin/At the airpirt
Old Dec 22, 2018, 1:25 pm

Amex Travel, Last minute

--Duplicate-
Old Dec 22, 2018, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by skye1
2 Questions:
Is one eligible to bid on an upgrade if the ticket is issued by alitalia but purchased through AmEx travel? (IME, tickets purchased through AmEx travel are still issued by the operating carrier)

Does the Bid for Upgrade window "close" at 72 hours pre-departure? (Would look to upgrade from PE to Biz which doesn't seem to be possible on tge Checkin/At the airpirt
Yes to both questions. A reservation through Amex Travel will generate a standard Alitalia’s
PNR/055 ticket, which can be used to initiate the bid for upgrade process via the airline’s website (note: such reservations made through third party providers would not trigger the usual e-mail from Alitalia asking whether indeed you wish to place a bid).

I hope this helps.

G
Old Dec 22, 2018, 5:24 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, AZ, VS, AA, UA
I’m booked in PE in January, LON-FCO-GRU. Minimum bid to go to J was EUR260; following advice elsewhere on FT I have bid EUR265. I’ll keep you posted; in the meantime is anyone here able to do a load check? J looks empty by the seat map but I know that’s not always the full picture.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by OxfordBlue
I’m booked in PE in January, LON-FCO-GRU. Minimum bid to go to J was EUR260; following advice elsewhere on FT I have bid EUR265. I’ll keep you posted; in the meantime is anyone here able to do a load check? J looks empty by the seat map but I know that’s not always the full picture.
Given that business class passengers are able to choose their seats (free-of-charge) during the booking process, then I would tend to assume that the seat map is indeed giving the full picture as you put it. Then quite often we get bookings through from our corporate travel agent and there’s no way we can access them on-line (the joys of the Alitalia website) in order to choose seats but even to merely request a special meal hence I guess you can’t really tell. Tools such as ExpertFlyer should probably help, though.

G
Old Dec 23, 2018, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK

Yes to both questions. A reservation through Amex Travel will generate a standard Alitalia’s
PNR/055 ticket, which can be used to initiate the bid for upgrade process via the airline’s website (note: such reservations made through third party providers would not trigger the usual e-mail from Alitalia asking whether indeed you wish to place a bid).

I hope this helps.

G
Very helpful, thsnks.

Looks like upgrading from PE to biz long haul may not be possible on a last minute purchase ( within 72 hours) as the bidding window will have "closed", and the Alitalia website link upthread seems to read possible/available via checkin/at the airport port option.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 3:54 am

Then quite often we get bookings through from our corporate travel agent and there’s no way we can access them on-line (the joys of the Alitalia website) in order to choose seats but even to merely request a special meal hence I guess you can’t really tell
ah, I’ve seen this sort of problem before, admittedly on other carriers. It often boils down to getting the right PNR as the one the TA gives you may not be the one AZ are using. One tool I’ve found that can help extract all PNRs and ticket numbers is TripCase. Worth a punt in case that’s the issue. Of course, it might be something completely different.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by OxfordBlue
One tool I’ve found that can help extract all PNRs and ticket numbers is TripCase. Worth a punt in case that’s the issue. Of course, it might be something completely different.
Thanks, OB. It’s often (or nearly always, should I say) the website and the manage my booking’s section which wouldn’t bring up bookings made through other channels or it just wouldn’t let you access them in terms of changing seats and so on. All-in-all, it is a terrible website and I’m not having a giraffe when I say that it used to work much better back in the late 90s, which is enough said.

G
OxfordBlue likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 6:34 pm

All-in-all, it is a terrible website and I’m not having a giraffe when I say that it used to work much better back in the late 90s, which is enough said.

G
Thanks G - it is indeed a pretty bad website, mobile app pretty poor too. I think BA’s site, by comparison, is excellent and easy to navigate. Not seen many worse than AZ. I hope they are able to invest in improving it soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.