FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alitalia | MilleMiglia (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alitalia-millemiglia-635/)
-   -   [Newbie Question Thread] Ask your basic questions about Alitalia. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alitalia-millemiglia/1740268-newbie-question-thread-ask-your-basic-questions-about-alitalia.html)

Ocn Vw 1K Jan 19, 2016 2:08 pm

[Newbie Question Thread] Ask your basic questions about Alitalia.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-o...AZ_welcome.png

Welcome to the Alitalia Forum Newbie Question thread!

This thread is a flame-free place where no question is too simple, nothing is taken for granted, and where you can ask anything about Alitalia and its mileage program (MilleMiglia) you were afraid to ask elsewhere, or weren't sure where to ask.

Newbie threads have been successfully operating in several FT forums including Alaska Airlines, American AAdvantage, Emirates Airlines, Lufthansa, Thai Airways, United Airlines, oneworld and Hyatt forums.

We hope that this thread serves as a useful resource for people new to Alitalia, and FlyerTalk in general. But any member is welcome to ask a basic Alitalia question here, not just new members.

If you are Alitalia old-timers, please feel free to contribute answers here just as you normally do in the rest of the forum. But, as with all of FlyerTalk, please make your posts friendly and welcoming. Also please limit the use of acronyms. If you're going to use an acronym, try and define it first.

Thank you, Ocn Vw 1K, on behalf of the Senior Moderators who help with moderator duties in this forum.

benberg2013 Jan 19, 2016 2:51 pm

Thank you for this thread, which will be a big help for all.

I have booked a flight MAD-FCO-GRU-GIG-FCO-MAD. Flights all Alitalia, but the leg from GRU - GIG is operated by TAM. Andthe ticket number is issued by TAM (957 stock).

Will I get miles for this ticket? Or do miles depend on the ticket number (and TAM is One World) ? It is in O class.

Thanks.

AlicorporateUK Jan 19, 2016 3:17 pm

An AZ O fare class would indeed be valid for mileage accrual (75%). That said, are the flights in question (mainly those operated by AZ) showing an AZ flight number [or JJ instead]? That could be crucial in determining whether you'll get miles or not.

G

benberg2013 Jan 20, 2016 12:41 am

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK (Post 26045283)
An AZ O fare class would indeed be valid for mileage accrual (75%). That said, are the flights in question (mainly those operated by AZ) showing an AZ flight number [or JJ instead]? That could be crucial in determining whether you'll get miles or not.

G

Thanks.

The flights have AZ flight numbers, but the E-ticket is issued by TAM (957). As far as I know, with the One World Alliance, it depends on the flight number, and with Star Alliance it depends on the operating airline. What I was not sure about is with Skyteam.
The leg from GRU-GIG is operated by TAM, and has a JJ (TAM) flight number.
So I assume I will not get miles with Alitalia for that leg, and would be able to claim miles for that leg onto my BA account.

And doesn't O class get 50% of the miles, not 75%?

Mwenenzi Jan 20, 2016 2:01 am

Originally Posted by benberg2013 (Post 26047757)
The leg from GRU-GIG is operated by TAM, and has a JJ (TAM) flight number.

So I assume I will not get miles with Alitalia for that leg, and would be able to claim miles for that leg onto my BA account.

And doesn't O class get 50% of the miles, not 75%?

http://www.wheretocredit.com/tam-linhas-a%C3%A9reas/o May not be correct. Use at your own risk.

gustavmahler Jan 21, 2016 3:17 am

Hi all,

Apologies for the basic questions – my flying pattern is always on oneworld, so I’m not at all familiar with Alitalia. My parents have an exciting trip booked to South America in September/October, and I helped them book their flights in J. The return is SCL-FCO-LCY, with SCL-FCO on a 777, which all looks great. I just have a few questions, though.

1. After a frustrating look around the website, I could not find manage booking or similar. I did google it and put in the PNR on something on Alitalia.com but it was a very basic page where half of it didn’t load properly. I found an old FT thread about having to call to select seats. Is that still the case, or am I just looking in the wrong place?
2. Is the 777 likely to have the new cabin (old one looks great still, so not a problem if not)?
3. Are there any seat recommendations/ones to avoid? Not sure if they want to be together, in which case the middle pairs look good, or if they want window seats. It looks as if some seats are closer to the window than others.
4. Will this have the dine on demand service?

Many thanks in advance.

AlicorporateUK Jan 21, 2016 3:53 am

Originally Posted by gustavmahler (Post 26054624)
Hi all,

Apologies for the basic questions – my flying pattern is always on oneworld, so I’m not at all familiar with Alitalia. My parents have an exciting trip booked to South America in September/October, and I helped them book their flights in J. The return is SCL-FCO-LCY, with SCL-FCO on a 777, which all looks great. I just have a few questions, though.

1. After a frustrating look around the website, I could not find manage booking or similar. I did google it and put in the PNR on something on Alitalia.com but it was a very basic page where half of it didn’t load properly. I found an old FT thread about having to call to select seats. Is that still the case, or am I just looking in the wrong place?
2. Is the 777 likely to have the new cabin (old one looks great still, so not a problem if not)?
3. Are there any seat recommendations/ones to avoid? Not sure if they want to be together, in which case the middle pairs look good, or if they want window seats. It looks as if some seats are closer to the window than others.
4. Will this have the dine on demand service?

Many thanks in advance.

gustavmahler,

Hi and welcome to the AZ section of the forum.

[I didn't know that SCL was already open for bookings]

In answer to your queries:

1. This link should re-direct you to the new (and much improved) version of the website: you will find the My Flights section on the right-hand side, bottom of your screen.

2. As far as I understood, the 772s will be revamped internally (so not only with the new livery) after the 332s, however I'm not entirely sure whether that's going to happen over the next few months.

3. Middle-seats good indeed in case they want to sit together and probably they may wish to do so, given the length of that flight!

4. Dine any-time indeed.

G

AlicorporateUK Jan 21, 2016 3:56 am

P.S.: in case the new version of the website doesn't load and the link will re-direct you to the previous version, then the Manage My Booking section is just above the From field in the booking window.

G

gustavmahler Jan 21, 2016 6:56 am

Thanks so much for the warm welcome and detailed response, AlicorporateUK. I still can't get the PNR to work in the new website. The old one recognises it (if I add mr to the end of my dad's first name) but the new one is having none of it. I may need them to check it with their TA, as it might not be ticketed yet.

Sounds like SCL is a new route, then! They got an excellent fare ex-LHR of under £1700 for LHR-ATL-UIO//SCL-FCO-LCY. They fly out of VS Upper Class, then DL and home on AZ.

I think the middle pairings look pretty good. They have currently been allocated row 5. Is that likely to get a bit noisy due to the galley being right behind? Are they better off with row 3 or even the mini cabin behind?

Probably unlikely to get a revamped plane then, but you never know. as I said, the current cabin looks great anyway.

Thanks again for the help.

AlicorporateUK Jan 21, 2016 7:34 am

Originally Posted by gustavmahler (Post 26055207)
They have currently been allocated row 5. Is that likely to get a bit noisy due to the galley being right behind? Are they better off with row 3 or even the mini cabin behind?

I would definitely go for row 3 as it can indeed get noisy near the galley - always better to avoid.

Those aircraft (772) were actually only recently revamped and the J seat is really comfortable, which is all you need for such long flight!

G

gustavmahler Jan 21, 2016 7:38 am

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK (Post 26055372)
I would definitely go for row 3 as it can indeed get noisy near the galley - always better to avoid.

Those aircraft (772) were actually only recently revamped and the J seat is really comfortable, which is all you need for such long flight!

G

Fantastic - I'm sure they'll have a great trip.

FFlash Jan 24, 2016 1:22 am

What are the rumors of MilleMiglia program ending? I did get a statusmatch and I do have some travels to South America each year and Alitalia has quite often lucrative offers, but I don't know if I should put my eggs on a basket that may disappear

Thanks for helpful responses

Air Rarotonga Jan 24, 2016 6:58 am

Originally Posted by FFlash (Post 26070621)
What are the rumors of MilleMiglia program ending? I did get a statusmatch and I do have some travels to South America each year and Alitalia has quite often lucrative offers, but I don't know if I should put my eggs on a basket that may disappear

Thanks for helpful responses

The MM program expires every few years, that's stated in the T&C. Last time would have been on 31DEC15. But the actual program has been extended until the 31AUG16. In the same time, a lot of enhancements have been promised. No details about the changes / enhancements were known yet...

Karan Jan 27, 2016 2:00 am

Originally Posted by Karan (Post 26047653)
Hi i am Freccia Alata Club member thanks to the Status match,

Wanted to know the baggage allowance on Air France or KLM Intra europe non baggage fares,

AF/KL do not allow baggage on cheap fares but as Sky team gold do i get to check in one bag?

Guys would really appreciate any help with the question

Karan

travellingtechie Jan 29, 2016 10:23 am

Lounge access with partner airlines

Hi there, I have recently been status matched from BA Gold to the relevant millemiglia level (black card!) The website isn't very clear about lounge access.

1. Am I entitled to use a lounge on any SkyTeam flight (eg KLM) ?

2. If so can I bring a guest? (like with BA)

3. Final complication - when booking KLM I'd forgotten that Alitalia was part of Sky Team and signed up to Flying Blue, and booked under that number. Will this cause any problems if trying to access the lounge, and if so is there any way to change the Frequent Flyer scheme/number on an existing KLM booking ?

Cheers
TT