FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alitalia | MilleMiglia (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alitalia-millemiglia-635/)
-   -   Business for You - Ottima and/or Magnifica? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alitalia-millemiglia/1700379-business-you-ottima-magnifica.html)

irishguy28 Aug 5, 2015 9:11 am

Business for You - Ottima and/or Magnifica?

The Freccia Alata club page says the following regarding "Business For You":

Originally Posted by Alitalia
BUSINESS FORYOU

With Business ForYou, you can request up to four free upgrades to Classica Plus – Premium Economy Class or Ottima – Business Class for yourself or for the person of your choice.

Business ForYou is valid for Alitalia tickets in Classica – Economy (booking classes Y, B, M and H) on medium- and long-haul international flights operated by Alitalia.

But it's not right that Freccia Alata can use these upgrades on longhaul, is it?

Or is my understanding that:
"Ottima" = medium haul = narrow body plane, European (mainly) routes, typical middle-seat-blocked "businesss" class?
"Magnifica" = long haul = widebody plane, aka "proper" business class

also incorrect?

On the Club Advantages table it seems pretty clear that Freccia Alata upgrades can only be used for Business Class on medium haul (Ottima):

Am I therefore correct in saying that only Freccia Alata Plus passengers can hope to use these upgrades to Business Class on long haul (Magnifica)?

I also just wanted to draw attention to this, in case any other new MilleMiglia customers weren't aware about the restrictions.

Or can someone give more information on the differences between Ottima/Magnifica, and on which routes they are deployed? Grazie!

http://i58.tinypic.com/2expt1y.jpg

AlicorporateUK Aug 5, 2015 1:44 pm

I do agree on the fact that, as usual, the wording on the Alitalia website is confusing to say the least (bring back the old AZ please - at least on such things, it used to be so much more professional).

That aside, as a Freccia Alata member you will only be allowed to upgrade in the Ottima class i.e. short/medium haul flights. Freccia Alata Plus members are instead allowed up to 4 upgrades to Ottima or/and Magnifica. The latter is the business class on long haul flights (TLV would still be considered as medium haul, so would SVO etc.).

G

TLVtraveler Aug 5, 2015 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK (Post 25226139)
I do agree on the fact that, as usual, the wording on the Alitalia website is confusing to say the least (bring back the old AZ please - at least on such things, it used to be so much more professional).

That aside, as a Freccia Alata member you will only be allowed to upgrade in the Ottima class i.e. short/medium haul flights. Freccia Alata Plus members are instead allowed up to 4 upgrades to Ottima or/and Magnifica. The latter is the business class on long haul flights (TLV would still be considered as medium haul, so would SVO etc.).

G

What's the booking class limitation for Alata and Alata+ ? any difference?

AlicorporateUK Aug 5, 2015 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by TLVtraveler (Post 25226337)
What's the booking class limitation for Alata and Alata+ ? any difference?

Only certain fares (namely, the most expensive economy class fares, which at times are more expensive than a business class fare basically) will allow upgrading to respectively Ottima & Magnifica. Put it like that: during those years that I had FA+ status, I never used the vouchers (useless, in my opinion). The only difference, as I've already specified above, is that FA members can only benefit from upgrades to Ottima.

G

irishguy28 Aug 5, 2015 2:36 pm

Thanks, AlicorporateUK!

Whatever about Magnifica, I wouldn't be interested in upgrading to Ottima via this mechanism.

TLVtraveler Aug 5, 2015 2:38 pm

Useless, nothing like American carriers offering system wide upgrades...

AlicorporateUK Aug 5, 2015 2:45 pm

AZ has often got very low Magnifica class fares, mainly on MIL-JFK flights, sometimes even via CDG (AF) or FCO - as I say, it's often cheaper to get one of those offers (~1200 GBP - I was checking the other day, madness) rather than losing your marbles to try and benefit from Business forYOU...

G

TLVtraveler Aug 5, 2015 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK (Post 25226501)
AZ has often got very low Magnifica class fares, mainly on MIL-JFK flights, sometimes even via CDG (AF) or FCO - as I say, it's often cheaper to get one of those offers (~1200 GBP - I was checking the other day, madness) rather than losing your marbles to try and benefit from Business forYOU...

G

I know what you mean, AZ is super cheap from TLV as well, for example TLV-USA (JFK/LAX/Other cities) would usually run about 2,200$-2,500$ r/t! that's just dirt cheap compared to LY who are selling Y for about 1,300$-1,500$ and J for 3,500$-4,500$! FWIW AF-KL are also really cheap compared to the competition, usually 300-400$ over AZ.

AlicorporateUK Aug 5, 2015 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by TLVtraveler (Post 25226553)
I know what you mean, AZ is super cheap from TLV as well, for example TLV-USA (JFK/LAX/Other cities) would usually run about 2,200$-2,500$ r/t! that's just dirt cheap compared to LY who are selling Y for about 1,300$-1,500$ and J for 3,500$-4,500$! FWIW AF-KL are also really cheap compared to the competition, usually 300-400$ over AZ.

BHX-CDG/AMS-JFK in J would normally cost 50% more compared to AZ. I've got a trip to NYC coming up in September and I'm seriously thinking to fly down to MXP and try the new Magnifica on the 332.

G

irishguy28 Aug 7, 2015 1:55 am

I hope you instead got in on the BA J offer hesterday :)

In the table above: does anyone know what is meant by "Elite Status Guaranteed for 1 year"?

Surely, for all levels, status (once attained) is for the rest of the current calendar year; all of the next; and til end March of the subsequent calendar year.

Then why only put a check under FAPlus? Or have I totally missed something obvious?

AlicorporateUK Aug 7, 2015 2:16 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28 (Post 25234345)
I hope you instead got in on the BA J offer hesterday :)

In the table above: does anyone know what is meant by "Elite Status Guaranteed for 1 year"?

Surely, for all levels, status (once attained) is for the rest of the current calendar year; all of the next; and til end March of the subsequent calendar year.

Then why only put a check under FAPlus? Or have I totally missed something obvious?

Again, the English version of the Alitalia website is just shambles. Status time-frame works exactly as with FB, unless things have changed since I had status last time (a few years ago).

P.S.: what BA offer?

G

TLVtraveler Aug 7, 2015 9:32 am

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK (Post 25234402)
P.S.: what BA offer?

G

I think he means the BA mistake fare for 450$
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...l#post25235409

gkbiiii Aug 11, 2015 12:37 pm

Freccia Alata J Upgrade Longhaul?

I am completely confused on USA website:

I was status matched to Freccia Alata and I would like to upgrade PE to J on a Miami-Italy flight. IS this possible, with the "Business for You" upgrade coupons?

irishguy28 Aug 12, 2015 12:21 am

No. You can only upgrade on a shorthaul/mediumhaul flight.

gkbiiii Aug 12, 2015 3:39 pm

So, Miami to Italy is out, what about Italy--Dubai etc?