Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > ITA Airways | Volare > Alitalia | MilleMiglia
Reload this Page >

Business for you (complimentary upgrades on AZ)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Business for you (complimentary upgrades on AZ)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2015, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
See: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alita...magnifica.html
Old Jan 31, 2016, 9:58 am

Programs: TK E+
If I get status matched from now and until 3/2017 to Plus Club and get the 4 upgrade vouchers, are these 4 vouchers per status renewal period, or per calendar year (i.e. 4 for 2016 and 4 for early 2017)?
Old Jan 31, 2016, 7:02 pm

Programs: ITA Executive for life; AZ CFP "per sempre" (ST E+); LH SEN; BA Bronze
Originally Posted by bamba70
If I get status matched from now and until 3/2017 to Plus Club and get the 4 upgrade vouchers, are these 4 vouchers per status renewal period, or per calendar year (i.e. 4 for 2016 and 4 for early 2017)?
Per renewal period. You won't get double.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 11:34 am

Programs: AV Diamond, TK ELP, IB Oro, AD Diamante, NZ Gold, QF Gold, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
I recently used a business for you upgrades - tickets were reissued from P class to I class.

Note when booking on Alitalia.com the fare types are never displayed nor on the electronic confirmation (at least if booked in Spanish market.) What is worse is that AZ contact centre staff all seem to have different understandings of the B4U rules and booking process which can mean a bit of a run around to say the least. In hind sight, I would have just booked and paid for Business Class since the upgrade from A class to P class on FCO-JFK and GRU-FCO landed just shy of a business fare. But hey, vouchers are made to be spent.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 2:02 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by kiwitakingflight
I recently used a business for you upgrades - tickets were reissued from P class to I class.

Note when booking on Alitalia.com the fare types are never displayed nor on the electronic confirmation (at least if booked in Spanish market.) What is worse is that AZ contact centre staff all seem to have different understandings of the B4U rules and booking process which can mean a bit of a run around to say the least. In hind sight, I would have just booked and paid for Business Class since the upgrade from A class to P class on FCO-JFK and GRU-FCO landed just shy of a business fare. But hey, vouchers are made to be spent.
I guess that by using the voucher you will get miles only for the A fare, right?
Old Feb 5, 2016, 12:29 pm

Programs: ITA Executive for life; AZ CFP "per sempre" (ST E+); LH SEN; BA Bronze
Originally Posted by kiwitakingflight

I usually make use of a good travel agent who takes care of finding the right combinations and calling in.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 1:22 pm

Programs: AV Diamond, TK ELP, IB Oro, AD Diamante, NZ Gold, QF Gold, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by alesfo
I guess that by using the voucher you will get miles only for the A fare, right?
Not necessarily as paid the fare difference to P, so all fare benefits and rules ended up as P - but I believe the amount of miles are the same regardless for premium economy class? The date change penalty of EUR120 is also the same meaning other than voucher redemption there appears to be zero advantage to booking in P class. (Fare difference was approximately EUR400 each leg, in total about EUR200 cheaper than a business class fare.)
Old Feb 29, 2016, 1:47 am

Programs: The Embassy
Business For You

I am a member of "FRECCIA ALATA PLUS CLUB" from a status match from QR.

Looking at the "Business For You" promotion, it looks like I can buy an appropriately classed economy return flight from Bangkok to Rome, and get it upgraded to a Business Class flight.

Is that accurate? What's the catch? How do I check availability?

Thanks
Old Feb 29, 2016, 2:23 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by zebrametalevel
I am a member of "FRECCIA ALATA PLUS CLUB" from a status match from QR.

Looking at the "Business For You" promotion, it looks like I can buy an appropriately classed economy return flight from Bangkok to Rome, and get it upgraded to a Business Class flight.

Is that accurate? What's the catch? How do I check availability?

Thanks
There are multiple threads on the subject.

Business for You - Ottima and/or Magnifica?

BUSINESS FOR YOU

With Business ForYou, you can request up to four free upgrades to Classica Plus – Premium Economy Class or Ottima – Business Class for yourself or for the person of your choice.

Business ForYou is valid for Alitalia tickets in Classica – Economy (booking classes Y, B, M and H) on medium- and long-haul international flights operated by Alitalia.
In short, you can only use the vouchers when you book fairly expensive economy tickets in semi-flexible or flexible fare classes.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by zebrametalevel
What's the catch?
The cheapest available business ticket is almost certainly cheaper than the price of the economy ticket you would have to buy to end up in a class where you could use your upgrade.

Rather than thinking of the upgrades as an incentive to buy the necessary type of very expensive economy ticket, instead think of the upgrades as a bonus that you can use if you end up having to book one of these very expensive economy tickets.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 5:01 am

Programs: BAEC
Hi!

I'm hoping to use my vouchers to upgrade from economy to Business FCO-ICN. Is it possible to call up AZ, and book a YMBH fare (I assume H is cheapest?) and then immediately apply for the upgrade (having got them to check that Z or I? class is available)? Or is it a "we'll send it to the back office" kind of thing? Do AZ have a cooling off period if the upgrade isn't confirmed?

If I can't guarantee an upgrade, i'll just book elsewhere, but would be nice to try the AZ J product.

Are the AZ call centres usually helpful? Is there a FA+ line to call from the UK? Or just the standard line? I've found 08714 242 772.

Thanks for any advice!
Old Mar 9, 2016, 5:36 am

Originally Posted by shefgab
Hi!

I'm hoping to use my vouchers to upgrade from economy to Business FCO-ICN. Is it possible to call up AZ, and book a YMBH fare (I assume H is cheapest?) and then immediately apply for the upgrade (having got them to check that Z or I? class is available)? Or is it a "we'll send it to the back office" kind of thing? Do AZ have a cooling off period if the upgrade isn't confirmed?

If I can't guarantee an upgrade, i'll just book elsewhere, but would be nice to try the AZ J product.

Are the AZ call centres usually helpful? Is there a FA+ line to call from the UK? Or just the standard line? I've found 08714 242 772.

Thanks for any advice!
If you want to use only one voucher per leg, you'd have to book Premium Economy in class P. I don't think this is any cheaper than booking Magnifica directly.

You can upgrade from Economy (I can't find any availability in H for FCO-ICN, only M) but you need to use two vouchers. You should have 4, so it shouldn't be a problem. That would make it cost-effective (saving around 500 EURO if you upgraded both legs).

Here are the rules.

You can try to call 03335 665544. They may redirect you to the Millemiglia line.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 6:38 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by ringingup
If you want to use only one voucher per leg, you'd have to book Premium Economy in class P. I don't think this is any cheaper than booking Magnifica directly.

You can upgrade from Economy (I can't find any availability in H for FCO-ICN, only M) but you need to use two vouchers. You should have 4, so it shouldn't be a problem. That would make it cost-effective (saving around 500 EURO if you upgraded both legs).

Here are the rules.

You can try to call 03335 665544. They may redirect you to the Millemiglia line.
Great, thanks. Whats the best website to check bucket availability? I can't seem to get ITA Matrix to give me anything other than the cheapest available fare.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by shefgab
Great, thanks. Whats the best website to check bucket availability? I can't seem to get ITA Matrix to give me anything other than the cheapest available fare.
The best way is ITA Matrix using advanced routing. Specific fare classes can be specified for each leg as "/ f bc=p" where p is the booking class. Mind that it must be lower case.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA Fool's Gold
How to effectively use Upgrade Vouchers

So I status matched to get the 4 vouchers that come along with the Freccia Alata Plus status but I'm puzzled as to how to use them effectively and I'm looking for some advice. It seems as they are not like American Systemwide Upgrades that you can use when booking a low cost economy fare on AA.com.

It seems as though Alitalia's lowest fares are class "o" and that fare classes "y,b,m,h" are required for voucher use. Is that correct? Can I apply two vouchers to an "o" class ticket or am I SOL if I were to purchase one and tried to use an upgrade. And so if this isn't possible, what is the best use of these upgrades? And on that note, what is the best value of this status?

Thanks for helping this Alitalia newbie out!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.