Search

Upgrading on Alitalia from Economy.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2014, 4:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold
Upgrading on Alitalia from Economy.

Hey all,

I'm flying Alitalia FLR - FCO - BOS in December, and I was wondering what the paid upgrade options were for getting from Economy to either Premium Economy or Business class, what the chances of getting an upgrade are, and weather you all thought they were worth the premium for them.

Sorry to be so interrogative, but I figured you all would be able to help.

Best-
Steve.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 5:19 am

Programs: ITA Executive for life; AZ CFP "per sempre" (ST E+); LH SEN; BA Bronze
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.3247 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

You can either upgrade, i.e. pay the fare difference, or, if you're booked in a class high enough (K or above) you can upgrade with miles if there is space available in the I fare class (lowest biz class fare) or A (lowest premium eco).

It is definitely worth it to upgrade to magnifica. To upgrade to premium may be worth a shot, in particular if you're tall.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 3:10 am

Programs: DL DM, UA PP
Has anyone upgraded DoD to see what the price options have been? I assume they can't pull Delta Skymiles or other skyteam alliance miles like KLM/AF can do with SM.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 10:48 am

Programs: ITA Executive for life; AZ CFP "per sempre" (ST E+); LH SEN; BA Bronze
Originally Posted by JHL77
Has anyone upgraded DoD to see what the price options have been? I assume they can't pull Delta Skymiles or other skyteam alliance miles like KLM/AF can do with SM.
You can only upgrade with alitalia miles, regardless if on board or ahead of time.

Price is listed here:
http://www.alitalia.com/it_it/Volare...ade-bordo.html
Old Nov 11, 2014, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by raistlin
Wow, the rates are steep: €1200 from economy to business
Old Nov 13, 2014, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by NickB
Wow, the rates are steep: €1200 from economy to business
Yep, on the other hand most economy fares are 5-700, business starts from 1900 but goes up to 4000...

Dunno. It used to be, IIRC, 800, not 1200. They increased it, so probably they are testing to figure out the right threshold.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 1:50 pm

Programs: AegeanGold, *AGold, 1WorldSapphire, AAPlat, HHDiamond, HyattPlat, SPGGold
reasonable upgrade to Magnifica at check in

I just got lucky at JFK a few days ago - was able to get an upgrade from a crazy cheap tix (bought a mistake fare $220 JFX-MXP on Alitalia and PRG-PEK on KLM on Priceline) The first leg happens to be Alitalia, so for $488 I got upgraded one way JFK-MXP when I checked in at the counter. But I do have Skyteam Elite status with China Airlines, not sure if that has anything to do with it - was checking in at the business class counter @JFK.
Maginifica is great, much better than coach of course. Glad I took advantage of it!

moral of the story: never hurts to ask!
Old Nov 15, 2014, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by raistlin
Yep, on the other hand most economy fares are 5-700, business starts from 1900 but goes up to 4000...
Comparing it to flex tickets bought in advance is comparing apples and oranges, though. Let us not forget that what AZ are selling is essentially unsold excess inventory. All in all, this is tantamount to offering a ticket for €1200x2+500/700 so circa €3000 for a ticket which offers none of the ground aspects of the product nor any of the benefits of a flex ticket.
If you are going to end up paying what you would have paid for a semi-flex ticket anyway, it is not very attractive.

Dunno. It used to be, IIRC, 800, not 1200. They increased it, so probably they are testing to figure out the right threshold.
Well, if they can sell it, good for them but it does strike me as an overpriced product.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 1:35 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.3442 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

The reduction of the C cabins and the fact they are always almost full may be the reason for increasing price. I don't know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.