Upgrading on flight.

Old Oct 6, 2014, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Upgrading on flight.

My wife and I are flying from JFK to MXP in 10 days in Classica. I know that Alitalia sells upgrades near departure and after boarding starts. Right now there are 4 seats in Magnifica and 8 sets in Classica Plus available. What are the chances these will be offered for purchase when I check in? We are flying on a Delta ticket, connecting from Atlanta.

Thanks for any input.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by whynotniwot
... I know that Alitalia sells upgrades ...after boarding starts...
Where did you read this? I doubt that this is true, but who knows, nothing amazes me anymore!
Old Oct 7, 2014, 8:30 am

Programs: FB Plat, *A Silver, Volare Exec (LOL), some hotels (Gold)
I think you refer to this:
http://alitalia.com/us_en/Volare-Ali...lezionati.html

The most important thing is
The offer, which only applies to certain dates and selected flights, is subject to availability, meal quotas and special assistance

So basically get to the airport and hope.
I'm not sure it applies to any ticket or only AZ; for sure other options (miles upgrade, etc.) apply to AZ tickets only (055).
Old Oct 7, 2014, 9:32 pm

Programs: ITA Executive for life; AZ CFP "per sempre" (ST E+); LH SEN; BA Bronze
Originally Posted by KLouis
Where did you read this? I doubt that this is true, but who knows, nothing amazes me anymore!
Why? It's pretty common practice.

You need to go to the airport and ask either at check in or directly on board (yup, they'll get your payment with credit card).

BTW if you have AZ miles you can upgrade at the airport to any seat left open.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by raistlin
Why? It's pretty common practice.

You need to go to the airport and ask either at check in or directly on board (yup, they'll get your payment with credit card).

BTW if you have AZ miles you can upgrade at the airport to any seat left open.
Common practice? Let's not exaggerate, I've been upgraded several times while boarding (found out when scanning the BP, although the actual upgrade occurred earlier), but after boarding? How will the FAs know the price, and when will they do it, while people are boarding or after take off? And, obviously, I am fully aware that upgrade at the airport is common practice.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by KLouis
Common practice? Let's not exaggerate, I've been upgraded several times while boarding (found out when scanning the BP, although the actual upgrade occurred earlier), but after boarding? How will the FAs know the price, and when will they do it, while people are boarding or after take off? And, obviously, I am fully aware that upgrade at the airport is common practice.
I'm a flight attendant and we have a crew panel in the aft galley that provides the upgrade prices for us. If a passenger wants to upgrade, we move them after take off and then accept their payment.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 10:02 am

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Can I move up front only at meal times for a reduced fee ?
Old Oct 11, 2014, 6:29 pm

Programs: ITA Executive for life; AZ CFP "per sempre" (ST E+); LH SEN; BA Bronze
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.3247 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

FYI, I'm on board AZ 605 and a couple just upgraded using miles directly on board.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by VXCabinCrew
I'm a flight attendant and we have a crew panel in the aft galley that provides the upgrade prices for us. If a passenger wants to upgrade, we move them after take off and then accept their payment.
Thanks, I stand corrected!
Old Nov 3, 2014, 1:03 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.3247 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Just to add: now upgrading with miles on board is a standard procedure too. The crew sees the cost and the available miles on the tablet of the passenger manifest, and the processing happens at landing.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

We never got a chance to do this. By the time we checked in at the Alitalia counter at JFK there was but one Classica Plus seat left. I didn't think my wife would appreciate only one of us being able to upgrade!

The flight itself on Altitalia was fine. Nothing spectacular. I did question my decision to not upgrade one seat when the largest person on the plane sat right in front of me. When he reclined his seat I could barely see the tv screen. Thankfully he sat straight up during meals.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 4:06 am

Location: In a plane over Europe; I mean in the back of a plane over Europe !!!
Programs: HHonors, Scandic, Priority Club, Marriott, AF/KL FB, BAEC, AB TB, LH M&M
Question upgrade prices

Originally Posted by VXCabinCrew
Is the upgrade price depending on the class/price of the original ticket or is it a flat fee ?
Thanks
Old Nov 13, 2014, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by Volvic
Is the upgrade price depending on the class/price of the original ticket or is it a flat fee ?
Thanks
Flat fee, on AZ.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA lft PLT 2.2MM, Marriott Plt
Originally Posted by raistlin

Just to add: now upgrading with miles on board is a standard procedure too. The crew sees the cost and the available miles on the tablet of the passenger manifest, and the processing happens at landing.
Can I use my miles to upgrade a traveling companion If I am in Magnifica on an award ticket and she is in classic plus on a paid ticket? I am a MM member with miles, she is not.

Thanks in advance
Old Nov 16, 2014, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by IoViaggio
Can I use my miles to upgrade a traveling companion If I am in Magnifica on an award ticket and she is in classic plus on a paid ticket? I am a MM member with miles, she is not.

Thanks in advance
Sure, you can (provided space is available of course)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.