Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alitalia | MilleMiglia
Reload this Page >

AirOne cancels many flights from OCT 1 2014 onward? Options?

Old Sep 3, 14, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM

I recieved an email from AirOne letting me know that my flight on October 6th from CTA to LGW has been cancelled. I then checked the AirOne website, and a message is posted noting that AirOne flights operating after OCT 1 will now be operated by the Alitalia brand. It notes that customers will be contacted about rebooking options starting Aug 29th. Haven't heard anything. It also notes that available Alitalia flights are listed on Alitalia.com. Well of course, there is no longer a direct flight and the current cost is over double what I paid months ago. So I was trying to figure out if I had any options before I call them. Am I entited to any compensation here under any EU rules or am I simply out of luck? I assume at a minimum I'm entitled to a full refund and then I just have to either pay the higher price for a connecting flight on AZ or book a direct on EasyJet (blech) which is also now more expensive?

Thanks for any advice.
Old Sep 3, 14, 7:57 am
Original Poster

I did some reading and I see now that compensation isn't required if the airline notifies passengers at least 2 weeks in advance. Do I have a shot at insisting that AZ put me on a connecting flight (no nonstops are offered on my day of travel) but not charge me the difference in fare? Which is now about $170 USD.
Old Sep 3, 14, 8:00 am

Programs: AZ CFP, HHonors Gold
AirOne is ceasing operations, I think it's part of the outcome of the Alitalia-Etihad merge.
Based on the communication the company sent out, all passengers are being reprotected to AZ flights.

Considering AZ, I would not worry too much if they didn't call you yet - hey there's been the weekend in the middle too

Probably ringing the call center is a good option or you may drop a line on their Facebook site, I heard they answer quite quickly. If not with the answer, at least with some ideas of the steps to follow.
Old Sep 3, 14, 10:37 am
Original Poster

In case anyone else is in this same situation:

Just called the Alitalia call center. At first, the agent said he couldn't get me to London and was ready to offer a refund, but that's because AZ doesn't seem fly to LGW and he wasn't eager to search for alternatives. I asked to be put on a connecting flight to LCY and he made that change at no cost. I asked if they'd offer any compensation given that I'm switching from a direct flight to a connecting one, he said no. My options were to get a full refund, or to be reaccomodated on AZ flights at no charge.
Old Sep 3, 14, 10:56 am

You might get a better answer now that it's September since everyone is back from vacation
Old Sep 3, 14, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Under EU Reg 261/2004, even if you are not entitled to compensation (as the flight is more that 14 days away), you are nevertheless entitled to the following:
1) a full refund OR;
2) rerouting under comparable conditions at the earliest opportunity OR;
3) rerouting at a later date of your convenience, subject to availability in the relevant booking class.

The choice between these 3 options is yours (and you should not have anything to pay under 2) or 3) ).

Rerouting you on an indirect flight should not be a major issue for AZ so I expect that this is what they will do. DO make it clear that you do not mind being rerouted to another London airport (viz. LHR or LCY).
Old Sep 4, 14, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by rocketzo View Post
...I asked if they'd offer any compensation given that I'm switching from a direct flight to a connecting one, he said no...
You must be the most optimistic person in the world if you hoped to get a compensation for not flying non-stop
Old Sep 4, 14, 10:39 am

Alitalia is running a 1xw CTA-LGW in October, on Saturdays.

I posted this in another thread, but I'm very perplexed at the Air One routes that AZ has decided to pick up. Namely, CTA-PSA and CTA-VRN(!) will be continued, but CTA-BLQ and CTA-VCE apparently not... ??
Old Sep 6, 14, 4:14 pm

Hi, if you don't desperately need to be in LGW (for a connection) then Alitalia should rebook you on a LHR service. They just called my mum as she was supposed to fly direct and rebooked her on a FCO-TRN service.
try with that. good luck!
what is your final destination by the way?
Old Sep 7, 14, 9:14 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svcs, AA ExecPlat, WN RR, AZ Freccia Alata+, Hilton gold, SPG/Marriot Gold, Hertz Prez
In case anyone else is in this same situation:

Just called the Alitalia call center. At first, the agent said he couldn't get me to London and was ready to offer a refund, but that's because AZ doesn't seem fly to LGW and he wasn't eager to search for alternatives. I asked to be put on a connecting flight to LCY and he made that change at no cost. I asked if they'd offer any compensation given that I'm switching from a direct flight to a connecting one, he said no. My options were to get a full refund, or to be reaccomodated on AZ flights at no charge.
I get that AZ can have its issues, but AirOne is going away. Thus, they booked you on a connection since the N/S is gone (and I am based at CTA, I certainly can appreciate non-stops) and they did it at no charge (as they should have).

In the grand scheme of things it does not seem like that big a deal. Yes it is a longer flight time now with the connection, but you also get to LCY instead of LGW saving a trip, time, and cost of getting from LGW into London (I presume you are heading to London, of course).

There are other flights CTA to London if you had received the refund, though I concur on shorter notice they could be a bit more expensive.

By certain AZ standards this was handled ok.
Old Sep 7, 14, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by bungler View Post
Alitalia is running a 1xw CTA-LGW in October, on Saturdays.

I posted this in another thread, but I'm very perplexed at the Air One routes that AZ has decided to pick up. Namely, CTA-PSA and CTA-VRN(!) will be continued, but CTA-BLQ and CTA-VCE apparently not... ??
Yes, this seems a very strange decision as CTA is the third airport for national trafic

Small OT: nice to see so many "compaesani" here
Old Sep 8, 14, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian View Post
I get that AZ can have its issues, but AirOne is going away. Thus, they booked you on a connection since the N/S is gone (and I am based at CTA, I certainly can appreciate non-stops) and they did it at no charge (as they should have).

In the grand scheme of things it does not seem like that big a deal. Yes it is a longer flight time now with the connection, but you also get to LCY instead of LGW saving a trip, time, and cost of getting from LGW into London (I presume you are heading to London, of course).

There are other flights CTA to London if you had received the refund, though I concur on shorter notice they could be a bit more expensive.

By certain AZ standards this was handled ok.
Yes, I agree, AZ handled it appropriately. Either a refund or reaccomodation at no charge is certainly fair. Its just no fun to go from a 10am non-stop to a 6am flight with a connection, but not really much else to be done unless i wanted to shell out more cash for a direct on another airline.
Old Sep 8, 14, 9:38 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svcs, AA ExecPlat, WN RR, AZ Freccia Alata+, Hilton gold, SPG/Marriot Gold, Hertz Prez
Yes, I agree, AZ handled it appropriately. Either a refund or reaccomodation at no charge is certainly fair. Its just no fun to go from a 10am non-stop to a 6am flight with a connection, but not really much else to be done unless i wanted to shell out more cash for a direct on another airline.
6am at CTA is no fun for sure. 6am at any airport is no fun!!!!

With WindJet and AirOne gone CTA is getting no love.
Don't get me started. UNITED do not even have it on their route map anymore, though they did re-add PMO recently. rant off//
Old Sep 9, 14, 10:14 am

Programs: UA S, Marriott P
just got an email from AZ that my 16:50 FCO-CTA in december is cancelled. And I am rebooked on 8pm flight... thanks a lot...
giving that I am arriving to FCO on *A at 2pm, the only option left is vueling.

How long do I have to request refund from AZ? Can I leave it in this state until December? I am concerned that VY might cancel flight as well and then I am left with 8pm flight at double or triple the price...

Last edited by dsauch; Sep 9, 14 at 10:36 am
Old Sep 9, 14, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by dsauch View Post
just got an email from AZ that my 16:50 FCO-CTA in december is cancelled. And I am rebooked on 8pm flight... thanks a lot...
giving that I am arriving to FCO on *A at 2pm, the only option left is vueling.

How long do I have to request refund from AZ? Can I leave it in this state until December? I am concerned that VY might cancel flight as well and then I am left with 8pm flight at double or triple the price...
On the route FCO-CTA AZ has a flight almost every hour, included one at 16.45 and one at 18.20 so why only option left is vueling?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: