Connection time at FCO

Old Sep 2, 14, 4:45 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Connection time at FCO

I have an award which currently terminates at FCO. The TATL is AZ621, LAX-FCO, in early June, arriving on a Saturday.

I am trying to get an FCO-CAG and CAG-PSA segments added to the award. The flights to Sardinia were not available when I booked the TATL flights.

Now they are but there's also the possibility that I may not be able to add them and would have to purchase them on my own.

My question is about the amount of connection time between the LAX-FCO and FCO-CAG needed.

AZ621 is scheduled to land at 13:20. I've gone through delays on the opposite flight, AZ620, arriving at LAX about 2 hours later than scheduled.

So to plan the flights to CAG, it would be good to know if AZ621 is usually on time in early June.

The FCO-CAG segments that I see are 15:05, 17:10 and later departures. I'd like to take the earliest one, which would be about 1:45 minute between scheduled landing of the TATL flight and the takeoff of the flight to CAG at 15:05.

It's possible that I may have to reclaim my baggage and re-check, if I have to purchase the ticket on CAG on my own.

Is 1:45 enough time to get through customs (at around 1:30 PM on a Saturday in June) and if necessary, reclaim and recheck baggage?
Old Sep 3, 14, 2:55 am

You're really pushing it!

a) The flight may be late; at any rate, count 10-15 min. for deplaning.
b) Whether you get bussed or dock at the satellite, count 10 min. (minimum) to 20 min. (if seated in front) for making it to immigration.
c) If travelling with a non-EU passport count between 5 and 20 min. to through passport control.
d) 20-30 min. till you see your luggage on the belt and then 10-15 min. walk to domestic terminal.

In other words, your minimum connection time (till check-in) will be in the range of 50-60 min. and I'm not counting any potential delay. I'd take the next flight and enjoy a cafe' and a panino at the bar in the terminal, rather than risking your money if you have two tickets.

Last edited by KLouis; Sep 4, 14 at 7:37 am
Old Sep 3, 14, 3:02 am

Programs: AZ CFP, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by KLouis View Post
You're really pushing it!

a) The flight may be late; at any rate, count 10-15 min. for deplaning.
b) Whether you get bussed or dock at the satellite, count 10 min. (minimum) to 20 min. for deplaning (if seated in front) and making it to immigration.
c) If travelling with a non-EU passport count between 5 and 20 min. to through passport control.
d) 20-30 min. till you see your luggage on the belt and then 10-15 min. walk to domestic terminal.

In other words, your minimum connection time (till check-in) will be in the range of 50-60 min. and I'm not counting any potential delay. I'd take the next flight and enjoy a cafe' and a pannino at the bar in the terminal, rather than risking your money if you have two tickets.
Agree completely, I would stay on the safe side.
Old Sep 4, 14, 2:20 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks, going to take the advice and play it safe with the later flight.

Will have to reclaim and check bags after all. Will use the time to top up the SIM card, maybe catch up on email and such.
Old Sep 4, 14, 10:35 am

Even on separate tickets it should be possible to check the luggage through. Ask at check-in.
Old Sep 4, 14, 12:10 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I will do that, thanks.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: