Search

AZ Magnifica Class

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2013, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards, PIAAwards Plus Diamond, HHonours, SPG, IHG
AZ Magnifica Class

Hello all,

I only decided to float this question since I was very confused so bear with me please

I have two flights coming up with AZ (my first btw)

AZ 628 FCO - ORD on June 16th in Y
AZ 629 ORD - FCO on July 6th in J

Both flights are on the A330

Outbound will be a standard, long 10-hr day flight so just have to sit through it

The return was an overnight flight so went for business and honestly after seeing the photos I was pretty excited about the new Magnifica class. However, it turns out that there are some older versions of this plane still flying about with old-style J class seats.

I also read that if the flight I am on has Premium Economy then the plane is new and if it doesnt then it is the old version. My TA tells me that there is no Premium Economy being offered on the return leg (Uggghhhh)

Can anyone help check and confirm whether I am on the new style of aircraft or older version ? Also, how bad is the older version ? Are the seats lie-flat ? Will I be able to get some sleep ?

Any help will be appreciated

regards

Gandhi
Old Jun 4, 2013, 8:49 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
AZ website shows flt 629 as a 2-class aircraft. I'm guessing it's one of the older aircraft. My limited research has shown those last few older planes operating on the ORD-FCO route. Good luck!
Old Jun 4, 2013, 8:56 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Platinum
Unhappy Looks like the older version...

According to the expertflyer seat map the set up is the old version. My first flight with Alitalia will be in Magnifica, but FCO-BOS on 7/8/13, so I cannot help you at all with a comparison. Sorry!
Old Jun 4, 2013, 10:29 am

Programs: A3 Gold, AA Platinum, Marriott & Discovery Platinum, IGH Diamond
AZ old C is not the most enjoyable. The seats are old recliners. When person in front reclines - you feet will be squashed. And when you recline - this will bring your face quite close to the feet of the person behind you.

In addition the seats are in terrible state, often held together with tape and ripped.

But hey, you can enjoy the fabled AZ service ! Oh, wait...

Regards,

El Puerco Volante.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 11:15 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all of you for the comments

When I look at seatguru seatmap the difference between A330 2-class configuration and 3-class configuration is very clear and it looks like the 2-class aircraft has the old recliner seats.

However when I look at the description it says

''20 lie-flat seats''

Further down the detail description has this

''This plane features only two classes: the Magnifica Business Class with 20 seats and the Classica Economy Class with 263 seats. This 2 class version of Alitalia's A330-200 is much less common than the 3 class version and is primiarly flown on charter flights for the airline. The Magnifca seats convert to flat-beds and offer in-seat work station capabilities, with PC power plugs and USB ports, and large 15.4" LCD screens to access vast personal entertainment options. The new generation seats in the Classica cabin on new A330-200 aircrafts offer comfort and in-seat personal entertainment systems.''

Any one know what's happening ?
Old Jun 5, 2013, 1:59 am

Yes : SeatGuru is wrong, as in most cases.

Those seats are very old recliners with very limited leg support and in terrible state of maintainance. There is no personal IFE installed on this planes.

Enjoy AZ

Regards,

El Puerco Volante
Old Jun 5, 2013, 2:55 am

Programs: * Gold, BA Gold
You'll be flying in one of the 2 ex Air One A330. they still have the "Air one" Livery. The seats ar not old recliners but hard shell lie-flat seats.

here's a link to a picture of the cabin:

http://www.xtremeshack.com/photos/1245e246.jpg

The food should be very good and plenty. Service can be hit or miss but generally good.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 4:11 am

Good info, FCO36. I was not aware of this ex-AirOne planes. Looks bit better then AZ old recliners.

Regards,

El Puerco Volante.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 4:22 am
Original Poster

FCO36, I hope you're right!

Thanks all for the info

Regards

Gandhi
Old Jun 5, 2013, 9:52 am

IFE is available in J.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 2:12 am

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Oh, and try not to check any luggage, as it's bound to get lost. I'm 2 for 2 on recent flights through FCO...

Old Jun 7, 2013, 1:41 pm

Programs: ITA Executive for life; AZ CFP "per sempre" (ST E+); LH SEN; BA Bronze
Originally Posted by El Puerco Volante
Yes : SeatGuru is wrong, as in most cases.

Those seats are very old recliners with very limited leg support and in terrible state of maintainance. There is no personal IFE installed on this planes.

Enjoy AZ

Regards,

El Puerco Volante
I would hope people who have not flown AZ in ages would stop writing such stupid and misinformed comments on AZ.

Dear OP, if you happen to fly on one of the two remaining old-configuration planes, you will find a configuration in J which is absolutely similar to the configuration in J of the brand new A380 of Air France.

The seat is a recliner, so it is not fully flat, but still comfortable enough. There's foot space, and you will NOT be crushed by the seat in front.

The seats in J have an IFE, even if less fancy than the newer one.

Also, the food and the service will be as good as usual in the new Magnifica class (which has won awards for food, btw)
Old Aug 8, 2013, 9:01 am

Programs: DL DM, United 1K, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Gandhi
FCO36, I hope you're right!

Thanks all for the info

Regards

Gandhi
Hey Gandhi,
How was the trip? I think I am flying on that old bird FCO-ORD on September 2 and I was debating switching flights. There isn't much information I can find out about the plane. Is the pitch really as bad as seatguru says with 57"?

Did you get any pictures?

Cheers,
Old Jan 14, 2014, 9:25 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, AS, SQ, CX, TK, AF// Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
any updated info on this? aircraft type/config on AZ 629? and planned aircraft update to new Magnifica for later this year? when?
Old Jan 15, 2014, 4:18 am

Programs: ITA Executive for life; AZ CFP "per sempre" (ST E+); LH SEN; BA Bronze
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.0.1803 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Originally Posted by java1
any updated info on this? aircraft type/config on AZ 629? and planned aircraft update to new Magnifica for later this year? when?
We have no dates yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.