FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alitalia | MilleMiglia (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alitalia-millemiglia-635/)
-   -   19 Alitalia baggage handling arrested for theft (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alitalia-millemiglia/1463923-19-alitalia-baggage-handling-arrested-theft.html)

N830MH May 3, 13 9:16 am

19 Alitalia baggage handling arrested for theft

This is so ridiculous!!! Those 19 AZ baggage handling were arrested for theft, stolen the baggage and etc.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22397267#

Shame on AZ!!!!

dh01 May 3, 13 9:39 am

Originally Posted by N830MH (Post 20692755)
This is so ridiculous!!! Those 19 AZ baggage handling were arrested for theft, stolen the baggage and etc.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22397267#

Shame on AZ!!!!

I guess that explains why baggage delivery is sooooo slow in Italy......

bungler May 3, 13 11:09 am

86 handlers were arrested or reported to police office, of which 19 worked for Alitalia. It's the workers who are at fault, very dishonest behaviour.

N830MH May 3, 13 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by bungler (Post 20693452)
86 handlers were arrested or reported to police office, of which 19 worked for Alitalia. It's the workers who are at fault, very dishonest behaviour.

Yeah, it's unacceptable! The behaviors that doesn't change at all. That's why they didn't fired the job. How come? They should be termination from the job. They will never work at airport anymore. I wasn't aware of airline worker that they didn't passed the criminal background check.

NickB May 4, 13 2:58 am

Originally Posted by N830MH (Post 20695516)
Yeah, it's unacceptable! The behaviors that doesn't change at all. That's why they didn't fired the job. How come?

And what exactly makes you think that they will keep their jobs? I would have thought that any baggage handler found guilty of theft or criminal damage (some damaged baggage out of spite when they could not steal from it) would indeed be fired.
If you mean: why were they not fired before? Well, if they had not been found to have committed any theft or damage, why should they have been?
really I do not understand at all your "shame on AZ" comment.

orbitmic May 4, 13 11:04 am

Originally Posted by NickB (Post 20696249)
And what exactly makes you think that they will keep their jobs? I would have thought that any baggage handler found guilty of theft or criminal damage (some damaged baggage out of spite when they could not steal from it) would indeed be fired.
If you mean: why were they not fired before? Well, if they had not been found to have committed any theft or damage, why should they have been?

+1. Incidentally, while I share everyone's obvious anger at those idiots, it is also worth pointing out that this is far from a 'first'. in the past, numerous baggage handlers working for multiple airlines have already been convicted for similar offences. And of course, people working for postal services or people from pretty much any profession handling any valuable objects have been too.

KLouis May 6, 13 12:12 am

Yeah, it's unacceptable! The behaviors that doesn't change at all. That's why they didn't fired the job. How come? They should be termination from the job. They will never work at airport anymore. I wasn't aware of airline worker that they didn't passed the criminal background check.

Are you so sure that nothing has ever been stolen at the Phoenix airport?

N830MH May 6, 13 12:35 am

Originally Posted by KLouis (Post 20703958)
Are you so sure that nothing has ever been stolen at the Phoenix airport?

Yes, there is 1,000 bags who stolen from Sky Harbor by last 4 years ago. Both guys who went to prison for 9.5 years. He's admitted that he accused stolen 1,000 pieces of luggage from Sky Harbor.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505145_1...oenix-airport/

FullFare May 6, 13 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by dh01 (Post 20692907)

Thievery in Italy is very uncommon.

bluegreentravel May 6, 13 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by FullFare (Post 20709565)

Sorry, but this is an irresponsible and sweeping statement.

zagorsky May 7, 13 3:16 am

Baggage theft

I remember the same situation happened in Miami. Shame on AA? Come on. The problem is quite different in Italy because of the legal system. AZ will certainly want to fire all of them but, I bet, Unions or those people themselves, will appeal and very likely a judge will reinstate them. Then AZ will have to pay lost wages etc. Same scenario in MXP years ago and I read in another forum they were fired and reinstated. It would be nice if the PRETORE DEL LAVORO who handled the case flew from MXP some time later and his luggage was "inspected" during loading.

maltasr May 7, 13 3:21 am

Reminds me of a Continental Airlines pilot's announcement I heard several years ago upon pulling up to Gate 1 in SAN: "Ladies and Gentlemen, as soon as our baggage people have checked for any valuables in your luggage, it will be available for pick up at Carousel 2." Most everyone on the plane roared with laughter - a little comic relief after a very long and boring flight from Newark.

tangey May 7, 13 7:26 am

Originally Posted by FullFare (Post 20709565)

My personal experience suggests the opposite. I've sold around 30,000 items on ebay. About 3 years ago I just totally excluded Italy from my eBay "will post to" list. It was singularly the most common country were posted items would go "missing". I'm talking about sending things to around 60+ countries including eastern Europe, caribbean as well as main European countries. (I'm in the UK)

Discussion on eBay forums confirmed that many others had issues with Italy. Either they have the worst internation receiving postal service in the world, or those items were being pilfered.

I was totally unsurprised to read the headline story here and discover it had occurred in Italy.

rapidex May 7, 13 7:57 am

Originally Posted by dh01 (Post 20692907)

Its going to be even slower now with the reduced number of baggage handlers:D

CXBA May 7, 13 8:04 am

Originally Posted by NickB (Post 20696249)

actually it had happened in the past that police caught red handed some handlers in FCO and MXP stealing from baggages in the halls before the delivery. They were fired immediately by their employers, put on trial soon afterwards and condemned to jail as well as to hefty fines, however all of them helped by the trade unions recurred against the sentences and won the reintegration in their job. So N830MH is right to be worried about the possibility of those gentlemens to put their dirty hands in baggages once more, although unfair to vent his anger to AZ, that simply uses them as contractors.