Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alitalia | MilleMiglia
Reload this Page >

19 Alitalia baggage handling arrested for theft

19 Alitalia baggage handling arrested for theft

Old May 7, 13, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CXBA View Post
actually it had happened in the past that police caught red handed some handlers in FCO and MXP stealing from baggages in the halls before the delivery. They were fired immediately by their employers, put on trial soon afterwards and condemned to jail as well as to hefty fines, however all of them helped by the trade unions recurred against the sentences and won the reintegration in their job. So N830MH is right to be worried about the possibility of those gentlemens to put their dirty hands in baggages once more, although unfair to vent his anger to AZ, that simply uses them as contractors.
Well, if the sentences were over-turned, if, in other words, they were ultimately found not guilty, I can't see what the problem is. I'd rather live in a country governed by the rule of law than a police state.
Old May 7, 13, 10:11 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL/UA G (SC/UC), Marriott LTP, Hyatt Exp, Uber Diamond
I spent two and half years in Naples and always avoided checking bags. The few times that I did have to check bags, they were never out on the carousel in less than 20 minutes and the airport is very small. Can't say I'm at all surprised by this. It's a shame too, because during my time, the airport facilities, lounges, restaurants, bars, etc. improved tremendously.
Old May 7, 13, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by Alitalia spokesman
"The passengers who lost their luggage have been reimbursed. We are the victims here."
Not the best corporate image ever: does anyone have any experience reclaiming lost luggage costs from AZ? Is it easy, painless and fast?
Old May 7, 13, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA,UA,CX
About Naples-It is my airport and I land and leave from it. During the last 20 years not even 1 item has been taken from my luggage and when I lived in Orlando I usually flew to NAP with tons of designer brand kid clothes in my checked luggage. Luck?
Old May 7, 13, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
I wasn't aware of airline worker that they didn't passed the criminal background check.
All criminals pass criminal background check before they are caught for first time.
Old May 7, 13, 4:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: CX MPO
Originally Posted by NickB View Post
Well, if the sentences were over-turned, if, in other words, they were ultimately found not guilty, I can't see what the problem is. I'd rather live in a country governed by the rule of law than a police state.
i forgot to add that: a) the reinstatement was ordered and executed by the branch of judiciary that is handling job-related disputes (giudice del lavoro).It was common until recent that people dismissed by employers could almost always get reinstatement and payment of back salaries for the period between dismissal and the sentence, and b) there was a lot of evidence collected with concealed cameras. Following these occurrences, all the baggages despatch areas were fitted with surveillance cameras, so one of the few areas in which handlers can rummage through luggages without being detected was aircraft holds, until now.
Old May 8, 13, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CXBA View Post
i forgot to add that: a) the reinstatement was ordered and executed by the branch of judiciary that is handling job-related disputes (giudice del lavoro).It was common until recent that people dismissed by employers could almost always get reinstatement and payment of back salaries for the period between dismissal and the sentence, and b) there was a lot of evidence collected with concealed cameras. Following these occurrences, all the baggages despatch areas were fitted with surveillance cameras, so one of the few areas in which handlers can rummage through luggages without being detected was aircraft holds, until now.
So let's be clear: the individuals concerned were provisionally re-instated until they were found guilty and were dismissed from their jobs afterwards. Thus, contrary to what is being suggested, we are not in the situation where somebody who is convicted of theft is being re-instated in their job.

I can see how different systems might come to different conclusions in the interim period. In the UK, you could not normally obtain re-instatement even provisionally in such a situation (generally speaking, in any event, the UK system tends to be hostile to re-instatement, even when the employer is at fault) but I can see how some other legal systems might give priority to the presumption of innocence until guilt is established even if that would not be my preferred system.
Old May 8, 13, 5:43 am

Red face

Originally Posted by bluegreentravel View Post
Sorry, but this is an irresponsible and sweeping statement.
Forgot the
Old May 8, 13, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by chornedsnorkack View Post
All criminals pass criminal background check before they are caught for first time.
Right, this is not first time. It has happening all the time. They being caught that guys who trying to steals the bags. The Italy law that they have to required fingerprinted or pass the criminal background check. No one who responsible for this. They have wait for someone who are cleared the background checks.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: