Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > ITA Airways | Volare > Alitalia | MilleMiglia
Reload this Page >

MCT / minimum connect time @ FCO / Rome Fiumicino

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MCT / minimum connect time @ FCO / Rome Fiumicino

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2018, 3:36 pm

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Haven't been to FCO or flown AZ in a while.

I have a GVA-FCO-BEG ticket with a 45 min connection from Schengen to Non-Schengen, both in T1. First flight is on AZ CityLiner [E175], the second is the mainline [A319].

I guess I should forget about the bag making it across?

Am I better off using EU or non-EU passport [can do both] to speed things up? I hope at least there won't be a security to clear as well?
Old Apr 22, 2018, 7:59 pm

1) You'll have to walk from your arrival at T1, where the AZ docks or busses you to, to T3 where the non-Schengen flights (also AZ! Only check-in in T1) leave from. Security only if you walk outside the building (a little shorter walk, but not by much).

2) The EU passport is "faster" in particular if it's a new one that can be used in the automatic "machine".

This is a very optimistic connection and the chances you miss it are relatively high.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 3:01 am

Originally Posted by KLouis
1) You'll have to walk from your arrival at T1, where the AZ docks or busses you to, to T3 where the non-Schengen flights (also AZ! Only check-in in T1) leave from. Security only if you walk outside the building (a little shorter walk, but not by much).
Very useful to know, thanks!

2) The EU passport is "faster" in particular if it's a new one that can be used in the automatic "machine".
Duly noted, thanks [it is the e-gates enabled one]!

This is a very optimistic connection and the chances you miss it are relatively high.
​​​​​​​
The GVA flight is the first one of the morning [aircraft overnights there], so it shouldn't have much/any delay.
They sell it like that - so they'll have to get me to my final destination.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 3:03 am

Originally Posted by jms_uk
Haven't been to FCO or flown AZ in a while.

I have a GVA-FCO-BEG ticket with a 45 min connection from Schengen to Non-Schengen, both in T1. First flight is on AZ CityLiner [E175], the second is the mainline [A319].

I guess I should forget about the bag making it across?

Am I better off using EU or non-EU passport [can do both] to speed things up? I hope at least there won't be a security to clear as well?
I hope you will be as chuffed as I am realising how much FCO has improved in the last 12 months or so, especially since the opening of the new concourse (E). Back to your question (I see @KLouis has already kindly provided plenty of information), I have done several similar connections in recent times and, admittedly, I haven't missed one [even though I'm not sure I would happily be doing the other-way-round i.e. BEG-FCO-GVA with 45 minutes' layover as security would be required]. That said, you will most likely arrive at a remote stand where a bus will take you to the main building at T1 (chances are that, even with a slight delay, an Alitalia assistant will be waiting for you as soon as you walk in past the automated doors), take a right turn up to escalator and follow E, you will go through passports (easy, especially if you can use the 'e-kiosks'), enter the duty-free area and, from there, a relatively short walk to your new gate (no security). Overall, it will take you roughly 20 minutes from bus to gate and, as I say, somebody will be waiting for you should a delay occur.

G
jms_uk likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 3:55 am

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
I hope you will be as chuffed as I am realising how much FCO has improved in the last 12 months or so, especially since the opening of the new concourse (E). Back to your question (I see @KLouis has already kindly provided plenty of information), I have done several similar connections in recent times and, admittedly, I haven't missed one [even though I'm not sure I would happily be doing the other-way-round i.e. BEG-FCO-GVA with 45 minutes' layover as security would be required]. That said, you will most likely arrive at a remote stand where a bus will take you to the main building at T1 (chances are that, even with a slight delay, an Alitalia assistant will be waiting for you as soon as you walk in past the automated doors), take a right turn up to escalator and follow E, you will go through passports (easy, especially if you can use the 'e-kiosks'), enter the duty-free area and, from there, a relatively short walk to your new gate (no security). Overall, it will take you roughly 20 minutes from bus to gate and, as I say, somebody will be waiting for you should a delay occur.

G
Thanks! ^

I've just had a look - last flight on AZ I took [involving FCO] was in December 2013.
Old May 8, 2018, 8:39 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I managed to pull off an 80 minute connection at FCO last week but it was close. The flight arrived from BRU at 1:45 and parked at a hard stand. We were then bused to the terminal. From there I walked about 15 minutes to Passport Control at E. I waited in a long, slowly moving line for 25 minutes until I was allowed into the Short Connection (flights leaving in an hour) line. From there it was about another 15 minute walk to gate E17 for my flight to BOS. I arrived towards the tail end of boarding.

Last edited by CMK10; May 8, 2018 at 9:46 am Reason: Added details
Old May 8, 2018, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by CMK10
I managed to pull off an 80 minute connection at FCO last week but it was close. The flight arrived from BRU at 1:45 and parked at a hard stand. We were then bused to the terminal. From there I walked about 15 minutes to Passport Control at E. I waited in a long, slowly moving line for 25 minutes until I was allowed into the Short Connection (flights leaving in an hour) line. From there it was about another 15 minute walk to gate E17. I arrived towards the tail end of boarding.
Thanks for the recent update - I will save up possible alternative flights in my phone
Old May 8, 2018, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
until I was allowed into the Short Connection (flights leaving in an hour) line
This will be relevant for our upcoming trip. International to domestic. Is it easy to locate the "Nail-Biting Connection" line? Thanks!
Old May 8, 2018, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by newbyflyer
This will be relevant for our upcoming trip. International to domestic. Is it easy to locate the "Nail-Biting Connection" line? Thanks!
I've never seen any short connection lane when transferring international to domestic, but perhaps that's because I've always used the e-gates. That said, there's normally an agent just as you approach the passport area after security and I'm sure that, if your connection is at risk (touch wood not), they will be more than happy to accommodate you accordingly upon presentation of your boarding pass.

G
Old May 8, 2018, 2:12 pm

Thanks AC-UK, appreciate your helpful posts!
Old May 8, 2018, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by newbyflyer
Thanks AC-UK, appreciate your helpful posts!
Happy to assist and please do not hesitate to ask should you need any specific advice concerning your travel arrangements as such in relation to your forthcoming trip ^

G
Old May 17, 2018, 2:41 pm

Purchased the following before I was made aware passport control and security check was required during the connection.
AZ 629 Arrives at FCO from ORD at 7:30am
AZ 720 Departs FCO to ATH at 8:15am

US passports, no checked baggage. Any tips?
Old May 17, 2018, 3:15 pm

Hi and welcome to FlyerTalk, @rjkrzos - good to have you here and well done on finding the right thread for your very first query

Assuming you are booked on one single itinerary (i.e. both flights under one single ticket, which I'm pretty sure is the case), this is a tight connection because of the 'unfortunate' timing with several services arriving from the US/South America/North Africa and so on, which often result in queues at both passports and security. Despair not, you should be absolutely fine in normal circumstances (i.e. assuming no major delays): once you're after passports & security (the other way round, sorry, you will clear security first!), your new gate will not be miles away (just follow signs for B/C) and the good news is that Alitalia will most likely wait (within reasonable time-frame e.g. say you turn up at the gate at 8:05) or, in the worst case scenario, they will rebook you on to the next service which is just (roughly) an hour later (failing that -hopefully not- there's another flight at 3:35PM).

I hope you find this helpful but please make sure to come back should you need any further help.

G
jms_uk likes this.
Old May 28, 2018, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler
Hi.
I would like to book CDG/FCO/TRS on on Sept 10th, 6:25 am leaving CDG with a 50 minuite connection in Rome, landing at 10:25am in TRS [/left]
I have checked bags, and will need them on arrival as I will be playing in a tennis tournament upon landing. Will they make it, is this a risky connection or should I fly to Rome the night before? It would be difficult to get to CDG in time for a 9:45pm flight but I could probably make it.
Old May 29, 2018, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by Tenniscan
Hi.
I would like to book CDG/FCO/TRS on on Sept 10th, 6:25 am leaving CDG with a 50 minuite connection in Rome, landing at 10:25am in TRS
I have checked bags, and will need them on arrival as I will be playing in a tennis tournament upon landing. Will they make it, is this a risky connection or should I fly to Rome the night before? It would be difficult to get to CDG in time for a 9:45pm flight but I could probably make it.
Hi,

Not a risky connection at all, mostly considering that FCO has seen some major improvements over the last couple of years, including baggage handling for which indeed it earned quite a reputation in the past! That said, 50 minutes is, again, more than fine these days but delays are unfortunately unpredictable and I can mention a few times I got stuck on the ground on that morning flight from CDG due to restrictions imposed by ATC. Given that surely you want to go and ‘smash’ the tournament in Trieste with the help of your beloved kit, it would be sensible to consider a plan B and indeed make arrangements for the night before.

Good luck with the tournament, I hope you do well!

G

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.