Wiki Posts
Search

What is F class on Alitalia?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2012, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2MM

Anyone have an idea about what F class is? I flew in Magnifica class, so somehow it's a business class bucket, but I can't find any evidence other than my boarding pass that it exists.

Is it an award bucket perhaps?
Old Aug 25, 2012, 12:03 pm

Programs: Marriott + Hilton. Fly BA and AZ

Z is award business on AZ
Old Aug 25, 2012, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

OK. Good to know. So what is this mysterious F then?

I'm currently having to jump through hoops now with DL, because my boarding passes say F, and they don't know what it is, and I'm not being given credit for it.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 3:12 pm

Programs: AZ Exec, FB PFL, OneWorld Sapphire, IHG Diamond, Accor Platinum, Avis/Hertz President
Originally Posted by 18sas
Anyone have an idea about what F class is? I flew in Magnifica class, so somehow it's a business class bucket, but I can't find any evidence other than my boarding pass that it exists.
Maybe it was E and the printer did not work properly...

Ciao
Ulxima
Old Aug 25, 2012, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ulxima
Maybe it was E and the printer did not work properly...

Ciao
Ulxima
Yes, I thought of that too. But my outbound boarding pass was printed at the airport, and I did online check-in for my inbound flight and printed at the hotel, and both clearly say F.

Incidentally, DL told me that E wouldn't count either since it's not on their charts as a business class fare. And some E tickets can be $6,000-$7,000!

Last edited by 18sas; Aug 25, 2012 at 8:32 pm
Old Aug 25, 2012, 4:11 pm

Programs: AZ Exec, FB PFL, OneWorld Sapphire, IHG Diamond, Accor Platinum, Avis/Hertz President
DL told me that E wouldn't count either since it's not on their charts as a business class fare.
It seems so, according to SkyMiles page.
Horrible!
Old Aug 25, 2012, 7:42 pm

Programs: ITA Executive for life; AZ CFP "per sempre" (ST E+); LH SEN; BA Bronze
Yes, I thought of that too. But my outbound boarding pass was printed at the airport, and I did online check-in for my inbound flight and printed at the airport, and both clearly say F.

Incidentally, DL told me that E wouldn't count either since it's not on their charts as a business class fare. And some E tickets can be $6,000-$7,000!
F is indeed a business class bucket with AZ.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by raistlin
F is indeed a business class bucket with AZ.
OK. Thanks. Why doesn't it show up in booking tools, ExpertFlyer, Apollo, Galileo, etc? Even the DL agents couldn't see it.

I checked the historical fares for my flight, which was MIA-BRU, and there is no fare code beginning with an F.

The fare basis for what the ticket I purchased is IP64US, which according to every source that I can find books into I class. So why do my boarding passes say F?

Anyone have any idea? Anyone had this happen?

Edited to add: Also, F class doesn't even show up on this page => http://www.alitalia.com/GB_EN/millem.../alitalia.aspx

Last edited by 18sas; Aug 25, 2012 at 8:27 pm
Old Aug 26, 2012, 12:00 am

Programs: DL PLAT / HH GOLD
My guess is that Alitalia airport check in system is so old it cannot handle the 3 current classes of service . I have flown in Magnificat and BP shows F, and when flown in Classica plus BP shows C. Not sure if AZ ever had F/C/Y in their planes and it's now use on the C/Y+/Y?. Just my guess
Old Aug 26, 2012, 2:18 am

Agree with the above; boarding pass doesn't show fare class but rather the code for the class of travel, and if milesmiles is correct, the code is Y=economy C=Classica Plus F=Magnifica. Better would be W for Classica plus and J for Magnifica, but oh well...
Old Aug 26, 2012, 2:35 am

Programs: Marriott + Hilton. Fly BA and AZ

Long haul Business has always shown J on my BP
Short haul shows C
Old Aug 26, 2012, 5:45 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses.

My short haul BPs say C. So I got credit for them. Yippee!
The long haul BPs are F.

Now I just have to figure out how to make Delta understand AZs process.

There seems to be a general lack of communication or understanding between the two.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 6:26 am

Programs: ITA Executive for life; AZ CFP "per sempre" (ST E+); LH SEN; BA Bronze
Originally Posted by bungler
Agree with the above; boarding pass doesn't show fare class but rather the code for the class of travel, and if milesmiles is correct, the code is Y=economy C=Classica Plus F=Magnifica. Better would be W for Classica plus and J for Magnifica, but oh well...
Disagree, my Magnifica BP show J. Never travelled in classica plus so I wouldn't know.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 11:34 am
Original Poster

So the upshot is that Alitalia's boarding passes don't really show booking class, just some code that shows what cabin you're in?
Old Aug 26, 2012, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
My recent Magnifica from JFK to FCO (paid ticket, booking class I) showed F too on the boarding card. i thought it might be a way to differentiate the new Magnifica (with new seats)?

Short haul business class 'Ottima' always says C so I'd be surprised if the same was used for C+.

And no, indeed, AZ boarding cards always show service class, not booking class. Your booking class will show on your eticket receipt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.