Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > ITA Airways | Volare > Alitalia | MilleMiglia
Reload this Page >

Can I interline baggage between AZ and Meridiana?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2011, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM & 2MM

Flying LAX-FCO on AZ, then FCO to OLB on Meridiana (separate tickets). Inbound is the reverse, and more worrisome due to just 75 minutes between flights. If I can't interline my bags on the return (i.e., check all the way to LAX from OLB), l will have to forego checked luggage, and just do a web checkin for AZ.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 3:15 am

Programs: ITA Executive for life; AZ CFP "per sempre" (ST E+); LH SEN; BA Bronze
Originally Posted by eheinz
Flying LAX-FCO on AZ, then FCO to OLB on Meridiana (separate tickets). Inbound is the reverse, and more worrisome due to just 75 minutes between flights. If I can't interline my bags on the return (i.e., check all the way to LAX from OLB), l will have to forego checked luggage, and just do a web checkin for AZ.
You cannot interline between IG and AZ on separate tickets, as far as I know. You can check with AZ but I'm quite sure it's impossible.

By the way, this means you have also foregone reprotection, so if you find a huge line at passport control, or if any leg is delayed, you will probably be in a sea of sorrow.

Why did you book it like that, if I may ask? I think those legs could be booked on the same ticket, and in that case, interline would work out as expected.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by raistlin
You cannot interline between IG and AZ on separate tickets, as far as I know. You can check with AZ but I'm quite sure it's impossible.

By the way, this means you have also foregone reprotection, so if you find a huge line at passport control, or if any leg is delayed, you will probably be in a sea of sorrow.

Why did you book it like that, if I may ask? I think those legs could be booked on the same ticket, and in that case, interline would work out as expected.
OK, thanks for the data point. I did call Alitalia (US -- I don't speak Italian) and their phone agent literally had no clue what interlining is. Even when I explained it to him. Alitalia's crappy website is also no luck. I may try calling Meridiana.

As for the risks involved ... on the outbound there is a full three-hour interval, which should suffice; failing that the change fee on the Meridiana tickets is EUR 35 and there are four flights a day, so it's an acceptable risk. On the inbound, a decision is still being made whether to fly out of OLB the night before, or chance the 75-minute connection, after having done online checkin for the FCO-LAX leg (which at least according to Alitalia's site is available) and, given your comments, having carry-on baggage only. Yes, the proverbial pooch will be $crewed if the Meridiana flight is seriously delayed (there is a 5-minute change of terminals as well) so it's worth considering whether it's worth rolling the dice on the pricier change fees in that case.

As for why it was booked this way ... where can it be booked as a single PNR? I tried on Kayak, ITA, etc., to construct it as a multi-segment single itinerary, without success. You can combine Meridiana with BA/Iberia, for example, but not Alitalia. At least I couldn't.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:08 am

Programs: ITA Executive for life; AZ CFP "per sempre" (ST E+); LH SEN; BA Bronze
Ciao!

I should point out I'm pretty certain the answer is no (because a few other people asked that on the Facebook page and that was the answer). Why don't you ask that on the FB page? They are usually very helpful.

I may try calling Meridiana.
Jeez, you ARE desperate! :-)

As for the risks involved ... on the outbound there is a full three-hour interval, which should suffice; failing that the change fee on the Meridiana tickets is EUR 35 and there are four flights a day, so it's an acceptable risk. On the inbound, a decision is still being made whether to fly out of OLB the night before, or chance the 75-minute connection, after having done online checkin for the FCO-LAX leg (which at least according to Alitalia's site is available) and, given your comments, having carry-on baggage only.
Yeah, with carry on only you should be fine. Under NO conditions try to check in luggage, retrieve it and re-check in FCO. Not even if it was 90 minutes. MAYBE 2 hours.

As for why it was booked this way ... where can it be booked as a single PNR? I tried on Kayak, ITA, etc., to construct it as a multi-segment single itinerary, without success. You can combine Meridiana with BA/Iberia, for example, but not Alitalia. At least I couldn't.
ITA will allow me to construct it as a single fare/single ticket, but I didn't try your specific dates, so YMMV.

Anyway, it is what it is. If you can, I would get to FCO the evening before.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by raistlin
Anyway, it is what it is. If you can, I would get to FCO the evening before.
I think you've convinced me. Grazie!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.