Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2008, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Gold
Alaska Coupon books?

I have found two:
Great Alaskan Toursaverr http://www.toursaver.com/
The Northern Lights Coupon Books http://www.alaska-discounts.com/Tours.html

My family is going up (4 adults and 2 kids) in June. We are staying with my brother in ANC, so we don't need any lodging. Which book might be better? Can they be bought locally in Alaska?

Duke
Old Dec 31, 2008, 8:07 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Never heard of the Northern Lights one, but you should be able to buy the Great Alaskan Toursaver online.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 12:37 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
I haven't seen the Toursaver book yet, but I do like the Northern Lights book. It has coupons for tours/cruises/other tourist type stuff, but also has lots of coupons for restaurants and other things locals might find more useful. So your brother can probably make use of anything you don't use.

One thing though, the coupons for the tours/activites often are good for certain times of year (non-peak.) So if you are arriving at the end of June, it might not have as many coupons that are valid. You can buy it locally, and I'm pretty sure I've seen the Great Alaskan Tour Saver for sale in a gas station or Fred Myers.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 12:08 pm

Programs: DL gold; UA - 1k; AA gold; Marriott Platinum; Hyatt Diamond; SPG gold; Groupon Falcon;
Originally Posted by Duke1981
I have found two:
Great Alaskan Toursaverr http://www.toursaver.com/
The Northern Lights Coupon Books http://www.alaska-discounts.com/Tours.html

My family is going up (4 adults and 2 kids) in June. We are staying with my brother in ANC, so we don't need any lodging. Which book might be better? Can they be bought locally in Alaska?

Duke
I've had both before.

And each is good. Northern Lights seems more geared to locals, however, with coupons for oil changes, fast food, and much more local interest. I do note, however, that it does have numerous coupons that Toursaver does not have.

You have a large group, and the savings from using the books can be quite significant. My recommendation is that you order of each, and review them. As most of the coupons are buy one get one free type of coupons, you will need three copies of your preferred book. After reviewing one of each, make additional purchases, and upon your departure from AK, leave them all with your brother. He may very well have use for the coupons you do not use.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 2:01 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
I too have used both in the past. It really depends on what coupons are of more value to you. For example, last year Northern Lights worked better for me. This year, Toursaver will. Toursaver has a 2-for-1 flightseeing coupon form Talkeetna that Northern Lights doesn't have. That alone will save me $250.

Look at all the offers from each book and see which is best for you.

Also note that with toursaver, you must present the entire book when at each vendor. That is not true with northern lights.

Also note that if you are going later in the summer, you might be able to pick up a used one on EBay. In fact, if you are going after July 1st I would be willing to sell my toursaver at a discount depending on which coupons you might need.

John
Old Mar 9, 2009, 7:42 pm

Toursaver and ERA Aviation

Anyone can shed some light on what fare classses are availble for discount - Anc - Fai using Toursaver book?
Old Mar 9, 2009, 7:59 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by ffmhoarder
Anyone can shed some light on what fare classses are availble for discount - Anc - Fai using Toursaver book?
I think it's just a straight 2-for-1 deal. I don't think you have to pick a particular fare class. Era's fare structure isn't what I would call complex.
Old May 26, 2009, 1:08 pm

Northern Lights Coupon Book

Originally Posted by fti
I too have used both in the past. It really depends on what coupons are of more value to you. For example, last year Northern Lights worked better for me. This year, Toursaver will. Toursaver has a 2-for-1 flightseeing coupon form Talkeetna that Northern Lights doesn't have. That alone will save me $250.

Look at all the offers from each book and see which is best for you.

Also note that with toursaver, you must present the entire book when at each vendor. That is not true with northern lights.

Also note that if you are going later in the summer, you might be able to pick up a used one on EBay. In fact, if you are going after July 1st I would be willing to sell my toursaver at a discount depending on which coupons you might need.

John
John, I would definitely be interested in buying your coupon book if it has coupons for the Major Marine 1/2 day tours (out of Seward). Other than that we'll be spending all our time in Homer so would be interested in any coupons for that area. Please [contact me and i'll share additional contact info] We're going on July 22, 2009

Last edited by Randy Petersen; May 26, 2009 at 4:08 pm
Old Jun 5, 2009, 9:02 pm

Smile

Originally Posted by sharonb007
John, I would definitely be interested in buying your coupon book if it has coupons for the Major Marine 1/2 day tours (out of Seward). Other than that we'll be spending all our time in Homer so would be interested in any coupons for that area. Please [contact me and i'll share additional contact info] We're going on July 22, 2009
Sharon, If the price is right and there are coupons left for Sitka, Juneau or Ketchikan, I would be interested in buying it from you. We are going the last week of the season (Sept.)so I won't be able to resell it. Contact me if you get it from John. There's more then one way to recycle.
[email protected]
Old Jun 14, 2009, 3:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If anyone has a book in their possession that they'd be willing to rent/sell to me during the 6/24-29 time frame, please contact me. Otherwise, I'll probably buy one myself and put into play here.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 5:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I just bought a Northern Light book(a single car rental coupon was enough to justify the purchase price). I was really impressed by their customer service (they have one guy in their office who loves helping people use the coupons). Anyway, I'll be back from Alaska on June 29, after which I won't have any use for the coupon book, so anyone who's interested in it should PM/email me.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 5:49 am

Programs: United; USAir;Delta;Marriott;Hyatt
Am also in the market for coupon book. Spending five days in the Anchorage area, then a southbound cruise. Particularly interested in Talkeetna Helicopter tour of Denali, Kenai Fjords, Mendenhall Glacier and possible glacier landing in Juneau. Thanks.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 4:10 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by writerhenn
Am also in the market for coupon book. Spending five days in the Anchorage area, then a southbound cruise. Particularly interested in Talkeetna Helicopter tour of Denali, Kenai Fjords, Mendenhall Glacier and possible glacier landing in Juneau. Thanks.
I would be interested in anyone wanting to split the cost of a book. I live in Anchorage, so could meet (or mail) any coupons.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 4:09 am

Originally Posted by moondog
I just bought a Northern Light book(a single car rental coupon was enough to justify the purchase price). I was really impressed by their customer service (they have one guy in their office who loves helping people use the coupons). Anyway, I'll be back from Alaska on June 29, after which I won't have any use for the coupon book, so anyone who's interested in it should PM/email me.
Agree with moondog about customer service of Northern Lghts! Got the book via Priority USPS 2 days after order. One coupon for an excursion more than paid for the book.

Used several other copouns and decided that at the end of our trip we'd give it to someone who provided us excellent service. That person turned out to be a hotel front desk person. When I asked if she'd be interested in book - she said she was planning on buying one to give to visting family.

So it worked out for all!
Old Jun 21, 2009, 10:42 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, AA GLD
I have the Northern Lights, only used 3 coupons [Avis, Kanai Fjords tour and a restaurant]. I am leaving anchoarge tomorrow ... would be willing to split the cost if anyone is interested, PM me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.