Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Coupon books?

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2010, 11:21 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat
Alaska discount coupon book

I am in Anchorage now and have been here for 5 days. I recommend the Northern Lights coupon book. It cost about $50 which is one half the cost of its competitor. I used the following coupons:

Talkeetna flight seeing tour of Denali @ 25% off for party of four. It was just my wife and I so I waited for another couple to show up and offered them to share the discount. It was about $50 per person discount.

I used a coupon for Salmonberry Tours for 2 for 1, saving $195.

Then used an Avis coupon for a free day in downtown Anchorage from the Avis manager Mr. Chris.

Then used a 2 for 1 in the Aurora show at the Performing arts ceter for a savings of $11.

So a good deal all around!

Last edited by NorthernAZtraveler; May 26, 2010 at 5:01 pm
Old May 27, 2010, 1:41 am

Programs: AS MVPG
If anyone is looking to get rid of their book, I'll be in Anchorage pretty much the entire month of June. Would save on shipping costs at least.
Old May 27, 2010, 7:11 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by NorthernAZtraveler
I am in Anchorage now and have been here for 5 days. I recommend the Northern Lights coupon book. It cost about $50 which is one half the cost of its competitor.
Thanks for your input. However, the cost of the book is not as relevant as how much money you end up saving.

I am using the Toursaver this summer. I will save $230 on the Misty Fjords flightseeing, which is not in Northern Lights. So even though I pay $100 for Toursaver, just on that coupon alone I am saving a net of $130. I will be using other coupons as well.

In years past, sometimes I bought Northern Lights, sometimes Toursaver and one year I bought both.

The best advice for people is to look at the savings you will have with either book and buy the one that saves you the most money.
Old May 31, 2010, 11:32 am

2010 Tour Saver Book Available

Just back from 11 days in Alaska---better than we imagined! I only used the following coupons from my TourSaver book:

Portage Glacier
SeaLife Center in Seward
Miller Landing Kayak in Seward
Talkeetna Air Taxi

As early as we went, using the coupons was not a problem. If you are going later in the season, I'd recommend reserving ahead so you are definitely able to use the coupon...usually they limit the number they take each day. The Kenai Fjords coupon is still in the book---I would highly recommend this tour--we were able to get two for one pricing through the military resort, so didn't use it. That coupon alone is worth $139.

I would be happy to sell the book for $50 + shipping.

Last edited by golformeca; May 31, 2010 at 11:33 am Reason: left out information
Old Jun 2, 2010, 1:33 am

Northern Lights Coupon Book

Hi!
I may be interested in your Northern Lights Book. Thanks
Old Jun 2, 2010, 3:47 am

Alaska Toursaver Book

Hi, My husband and I will be spending 10 days in Anchorage and the Kenai Peninsula in July. We would be very interested in purchasing a used Alaska TourSaver book with the Kenai and Anchorage area coupons intact.

Thanks for your time!
Old Jun 5, 2010, 3:15 pm

Toursaver Book

My book is on its way to a new owner who contacted me privately. Thanks for your interest...maybe someone else will post one. If not, you can probably save enough money with the book to justify paying full price.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 2:07 pm

Back from Alaska last week. What a wonderful place, really!

We only used Kenai Fjords Tour coupon from our Northern Lights coupon book. All the others are still in the book. I am willing to sell this book for $30 + shipping obo.

We were not able to use the Glacier Landing coupon because of the size of our group, but I would highly recommend doing a Denali Glacier Landing.

Last edited by SeattleMariner56; Jun 7, 2010 at 3:08 pm
Old Jun 13, 2010, 12:15 pm

Alaska Coupon book/coupon purchase

Hello

I am interested in purchasing coupons (or entire book) from northern lights or alaska tour. At minimum I need 2 sets of coupons for the Kenai Fjords 2-for-1 6-hour boat trips.

We are a family of 4 so we may need 2 coupons and we are travelling end-June.

If you have 1 or 2 sets of Kenai Fjord valid coupons (or if you have 1 or 2 sets of partially used books) please let me know waht you have and how much you want. If it works I will be be happy to pay cash and pick them up. I live in the Seattle are (on the eastside).

Thx
Old Jun 13, 2010, 1:30 pm

Nothern Lights Book/Coupons Wanted

I'm heading to Alaska the middle of July. I'm interested in buying any used book (or coupons) that someone's got left over.

Specifically looking for the Miller's Landing (Seward) 2 for 1 Bridal Veil Falls kayak tour, Miller's Landing 2 for 1 Full Day Paddle to Caine's Head State Park kayak tour, and the 2 for 1 Nenana Raft Adventures (Denali) 2 for 1 Denali Deluxe Excursion.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 1:56 pm

Splitting new book

Originally Posted by Moogie74
I'm heading to Alaska the middle of July. I'm interested in buying any used book (or coupons) that someone's got left over.

Specifically looking for the Miller's Landing (Seward) 2 for 1 Bridal Veil Falls kayak tour, Miller's Landing 2 for 1 Full Day Paddle to Caine's Head State Park kayak tour, and the 2 for 1 Nenana Raft Adventures (Denali) 2 for 1 Denali Deluxe Excursion.
Maybe you and I should buy a new book and split the coupons? i only need 1 ---kenai fjords trip 2 for 1.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by asirohi
Maybe you and I should buy a new book and split the coupons? i only need 1 ---kenai fjords trip 2 for 1.
If your travel dates don't overlap, splitting a book is a great idea. Toursaver has great discounts, but the purchase price is annoying. Most people only use a couple of coupons.

You can sometimes get a partly used book on ebay, but demand will outstrip supply until August, so the savings are likely to be modest. In other words, you're probably better off just each ponying up the $55 or so.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 5:49 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iahphx
If your travel dates don't overlap, splitting a book is a great idea. Toursaver has great discounts, but the purchase price is annoying. Most people only use a couple of coupons.

You can sometimes get a partly used book on ebay, but demand will outstrip supply until August, so the savings are likely to be modest. In other words, you're probably better off just each ponying up the $55 or so.
How is the purchase price "annoying"? The company needs to contact a lot of vendors to see if they will participate, follow up, produce and market the book, etc, etc.

I find that the cost of both the Toursaver and Northern Lights books is reasonable, even at full retail prices. Toursaver generally has coupons that offer much greater savings than Northern Lights, so from a consumer perspective, it can be a better "deal." Denali flightseeing can save two people $250 or more. Misty Fjords flightseeing can save two people $230. Neither of these offers are in the Northern Lights book (Northern Lights has a Denali flightseeing coupon but it is for a party of 4 and only offers I think 25% off).

I ended up buying a used Toursaver and used Northern Lights for $75 total including shipping. My main coupons needed were Misty Fjords flightseeing in Toursaver, LeConte Glacier tour in Wrangell in Northern Lights and then a Kenai Fjords tour (in both books). Those three coupons will save us $540.

I am sure we will use a few other coupons (Avis <though I heard they are not receptive to accepting the coupon>, Sealife Center, a museum or two, maybe a food coupon or two in Northern Lights).
Old Jun 20, 2010, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fti
How is the purchase price "annoying"? The company needs to contact a lot of vendors to see if they will participate, follow up, produce and market the book, etc, etc.
I have never seen a "coupon book" priced above $50.

It would be interesting to see if this is actually the profit maximizing price. Many people say "$108, no way." Others, of course, share. I have no doubt that the author would sell MANY more books at a lower price. Whether these extra sales would lead to more total income, I have no idea.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 10:01 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have never seen a "coupon book" priced above $50.

It would be interesting to see if this is actually the profit maximizing price. Many people say "$108, no way." Others, of course, share. I have no doubt that the author would sell MANY more books at a lower price. Whether these extra sales would lead to more total income, I have no idea.
Not sure how many years you have bought this book but I have bought one or the other or both coupon books every year for the past 5 years.

Actually, I think the number of books being sold is about maxed out. In fact, I would venture to say that if the publisher sold too many more books, customers would complain. I already heard of some of these complaints, but it is not too loud.

It is already to the point where if you don't book some tours or hotels months in advance, the vendors say, "Sorry, we have reached our limit of coupons for the (day/tour/season/etc)." Sure these are mostly the higher-end flightseeing tours and hotels. But those coupons make the book an especially good value.

I know I book my flightseeing tours months in advance (I booked Misty Fjords in November 2009, even before the book was published). I booked Denali flightseeing last year 6 months in advance as well since they only take one coupon per day. And when I went to Seward two years ago and checked into the hotel in late May (Hotel Seward), they said that they had already reached the maximum number of coupons that they would take for the entire season (again I booked months in advance).

So perhaps one reason the price is what it is - just what you said: if the price were much lower, too many books would be in circulation.

The downside of my planning so far in advance is that I can't take advantage of things that come up relatively "last minute." Like the Cabbage DO the end of August. I already had my plane tickets reserved last October for this coming August. I am flying to Kodiak the day that DO begins. But it just is not possible to make changes to award tickets with Delta with any ease. But the upside is that I get to travel to Alaska 2-4 times a year for $10/ticket round trip.

Many people say "$108, no way."
Well, honestly, people who say that are blooming idiots. If I *knew* I could pay $1,000 and save $5,000, I would be a fool to NOT do that. Same with the coupon book. If you knew you could pay $108 and save $500 (or save even $150), only a fool would say "no way." Their loss, my gain Everyone needs to do a cost-benefit analysis. If someone doesn't save at least $108, then sure it is not for them.

Last edited by fti; Jun 20, 2010 at 10:07 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.