Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Coupon books?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2009, 12:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by nareshs
I have the Northern Lights, only used 3 coupons [Avis, Kanai Fjords tour and a restaurant]. I am leaving anchoarge tomorrow ... would be willing to split the cost if anyone is interested, PM me.
I'm also interested in unloading my Northern Lights book. By the way, while I definitely think it is/was a good value, it's worth noting that many merchants I spoke with during my research phase played silly price games with me after I told them I had coupon(s). And one B&B owner went so far as to tell me that the coupon would have no effect on his final price.

ETA: Thrifty Car Rental was also especially annoying; they jacked up my daily rate and then claimed that it had a $65 value cap (since I no longer have the coupon in my possession, I can't verify whether or not they pulled a fast one on me; I didn't have time to argue when I picked up the car).
Old Jul 2, 2009, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by moondog
ETA: Thrifty Car Rental was also especially annoying; they jacked up my daily rate and then claimed that it had a $65 value cap (since I no longer have the coupon in my possession, I can't verify whether or not they pulled a fast one on me; I didn't have time to argue when I picked up the car).
As to your latter point, yes, the $65 cap is printed right on the front of the coupon, and the coupon does explicitly state that the discount is only available on "standard rates," which are only bookable by calling the local office directly (the phone number is right on the coupon as well). It's not available on Internet rates or other discounted rates.
Old Jul 2, 2009, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by jackal
As to your latter point, yes, the $65 cap is printed right on the front of the coupon, and the coupon does explicitly state that the discount is only available on "standard rates," which are only bookable by calling the local office directly (the phone number is right on the coupon as well). It's not available on Internet rates or other discounted rates.
Thanks for that bit info.
Old Jul 2, 2009, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by moondog
Thanks for that bit info.
Just to further clarify, the coupon is meant to be used in the off-season, when the $65 cap is impossible to hit (large SUVs are barely going for $65 per day then). The coupon's validity extends shortly into June until the big summer rush hits, at which point it is no longer valid. You sort of hit the state right when things were ramping up, and the "standard rate" goes from in the $30s per day to in the $80s per day. Good thing you didn't come a week later: the cheapest car in the entire city (all companies) vacillated between $110 per day and $299 per day...
Old Jul 2, 2009, 1:04 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, AA GLD
The Avis coupon [Free day] is better ... booked ahead with a great rate for Anchorage downtown plus got a day taken off the rate when I picked up the car ... total cost $165 for 5 days (Mid June) ...
Old Jul 2, 2009, 1:25 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by jackal
Good thing you didn't come a week later: the cheapest car in the entire city (all companies) vacillated between $110 per day and $299 per day...
Depends on when you book. I just returned from two weeks in AK. Booked my economy class rental car last August and paid $95/week plus taxes/fees = $125/week from Enterprise "off airport" on E. International Airport Rd. Only a $15 tip included taxi ride from the airport. If I had booked it even 2-3 months later, I would have paid at least twice as much.

I have gotten this rate the past three summers now, each time booking 10-11 months in advance.

John
Old Jul 2, 2009, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by nareshs
The Avis coupon [Free day] is better ... booked ahead with a great rate for Anchorage downtown plus got a day taken off the rate when I picked up the car ... total cost $165 for 5 days (Mid June) ...
I made reservations with Avis and Thrifty over the internet, then called both local offices to advise them that I'd be using NL coupons, asked them to compute my post-coupon rates. (I didn't have the ability to study the coupon book ahead of time because I had it shipped straight to my hotel in Anchorage.) Thrifty came in with a lower total (by about $30), BUT I ended up paying $30 more than the Avis rate in the end. I'm willing to chalk this episode up as a learning experience.

Another car rental anecdote: I bumped into a couple of guys during my travels who rented a U-Haul for $60 per day (flat rate, unlimited mileage) and were using it as an RV.... seemed like a smart idea to me.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 12:05 am

I just returned from Alaska and I'm interested in unloading my Northern Lights book too.

A Northern Lights coupon book for Alaska, with coupons (mostly "buy one get one free" coupons) for day cruises, kayaking trips, restaurants, fishing expeditions, etc. I used only 5 coupons(see the following) out of the book during my trip, so the vast majority of coupons are still in the book and valid through October 14, 2009 (http://www.alaska-discounts.com).

Kenai fjord northerwestern tour 2-for-1
Portage glacier cruise 2-for-1
Sealife center 2-for-1 admission
Anchorage native heritage center 2-for-1 admission (The book comes with two coupons, the other one is still in the book)
Pratt museum 2-for-1 admission (The book comes with two coupons, the other one is still in the book)

If anyone who's interested in it, feel free PM or email me.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 9:21 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by songlf
I just returned from Alaska and I'm interested in unloading my Northern Lights book too.

A Northern Lights coupon book for Alaska, with coupons (mostly "buy one get one free" coupons) for day cruises, kayaking trips, restaurants, fishing expeditions, etc. I used only 5 coupons(see the following) out of the book during my trip, so the vast majority of coupons are still in the book and valid through October 14, 2009 (http://www.alaska-discounts.com).

Kenai fjord northerwestern tour 2-for-1
Portage glacier cruise 2-for-1
Sealife center 2-for-1 admission
Anchorage native heritage center 2-for-1 admission (The book comes with two coupons, the other one is still in the book)
Pratt museum 2-for-1 admission (The book comes with two coupons, the other one is still in the book)

If anyone who's interested in it, feel free PM or email me.
Welcome to FT. You would be best off posting this on EBay or Craigslist. You would get a MUCH broader audience.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Warning to all considering buying coupons. Some coupon books require that you have the ENTIRE book in your hand when you show up at the venders location.

The coupons alone are sometimes worth zero.
Old Jul 12, 2009, 11:53 am

Does anyone have a used Alaska Tour Saver 2009 book they would consider unloading, trading, please PM me.
I only need the Renown tour/Kenai National Park Cruise coupon and then I could send the book back.
Thank you!
Old Jul 12, 2009, 2:03 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by marlin
Does anyone have a used Alaska Tour Saver 2009 book they would consider unloading, trading, please PM me.
I only need the Renown tour/Kenai National Park Cruise coupon and then I could send the book back.
Thank you!
As I said to you on TA, you will probably do much better by looking on EBay. Anyone with a book would not want to part with it before their trip, anyone already finished with the book won't want it back but will want to sell it. There are no less than 13 toursaver books listed on EBay right now, one of whose auctions closes in less than 1/2 hour.

As was noted, you need the entire book, not just the coupon.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 2:17 pm

Bought one on Ebay. Thanks!
Old Feb 3, 2010, 8:22 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines, Hilton HHonors
Oh wow. that is a good suggestion! My friend and her husband bought the discount book last summer, and used very few of the coupons. ]

I think the best deal is the River Cruise in Fairbanks. That is a fabulous event and definitely worth it!
Old Apr 23, 2010, 3:16 pm

I am looking for a northern lights coupon book. I have already searched eBay and didn't find any may be because the real season hasn't started yet. I am specifically looking for coupons for 26 glacier tour from Philips Cruises & Tours. We plan to take this tour in may end.

If anyone is looking to offload or share the cost of their book or just have these coupons to spare then email me at [email protected]

Thanks,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.