Wiki Posts
Search

Bus service to Whitehorse?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2008, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus Dirt, Wyndham Rewards
Bus service to Whitehorse?

I've got some miles to burn and have never been to Alaska.

I'm thinking about booking a ticket to ANC and somehow getting to YXY (Whitehorse, YT) for an open-jaw ticket—perhaps hard to score, but that's another matter for another post.

Here's what I can't figure out. Is there any way to get from Anchorage to Whitehorse that does not involve a one-way car rental? So far as I can tell, there is no intercity bus service in AK. Greyhound Canada runs to Whitehorse and other places in the Yukon, but no service on to AK. I did some other research at an Alaska tourism site that I hadn't previously seen, but all of the bus options were about going to Denali. I couldn't find any other options.

Am I going crazy? Or do I need to revise my plan?
Old Dec 7, 2008, 3:46 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
I think these guys do it:
http://www.alaskadirectbusline.com/

I've known people who have taken a bus to Anchorage (passing through Whitehorse) so it is possible.

One other possibility, and I could be wrong about this, Condor airlines may sell tickets on their flight from Anchorage to Whitehorse. I looked last year and thought I could book it. Other flying options exist too, but they probably start getting expensive.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus Dirt, Wyndham Rewards
Alphaeagle,

Thanks. This is exactly what I was looking for but couldn't find.

Should I manage to score a ticket, I don't want to fly from Anchorage to Whitehorse. I'd rather go overland.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 10:01 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Condor does not fly fron Anchorage to Whitehorse. It flies Whitehorse to Anchorage and then on to Frankfurt. I know of no bus lines operating from Anchorage to Whitehorse, however a possibility is bus to Fairbanks and then fly Airnorth from Fairbanks to Whitehorse.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
The site alphaeagle linked to appears to be the only company that does it (and, according to their website, they do).

The best collection of information on such things is here:
http://alaska.org/gettingaround/alaska-bus-lines.htm (and their main site, alaska.org).

Just be sure you know what you're getting into: that's a LONG trip--one definitely worth doing at least once in your life, but long, nonetheless (it departs ANC at 6am and arrives in YXY at 1am with a 1-hour time change). One positive: if you're doing it close to the summer solstice, it should be light for most of your journey!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.