Reload this Page >

help with travel Anchorage - Valdez

Old Mar 1, 2008, 12:00 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco
Original Poster

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB

I may be going to a conference in June in Valdez Ak (from SF)) The flight ANC-Valdez is way too expensive, and i have been told there is a train/ferry combo. I went to the AK ferry site but was very confused. Any knowledgable folks out there?
Old Mar 1, 2008, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
To my knowledge, there is not a specific rail-ferry package. But assuming you're going in the summer, when the train operates (it doesn't operate to Whittier in the winter--summer season starts May 17th), you can book your own train tickets separately.

The rail schedule is here:

http://www.akrr.com/arrc18.html#12

The ferry schedule is here:

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/Plan...08/PWS_S08.pdf

It appears that on most days there is a 10-minute connection time in Whittier. Whittier is small, so it shouldn't take very long to walk from the railroad platform to the ferry dock, and the ARR is never late (like Amtrak is), so it may be possible to connect between the two. Still, you might want to call the railroad and the ferry folks to make sure it is possible to connect and ask if it is even a guaranteed connection. (Contact info here: http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/ContactUs/index.html)

(The above schedule is for the days the Chenega, a high-speed ferry, is running. On the days the Aurora, a slower traditional ferry that takes twice as long to get to Valdez, runs, you have a couple of hours in Whittier--see the schedule for details.)
Old Mar 1, 2008, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
The bonus for you is that on clear days the scenery is spectacular.

I've walked from the depot in Whittier when I was meeting someone. It didn't take long. There was a little school bus that took me back to the train when the time came to get back out of Whittier.

The little school bus pulled up in front of the train to let me out. There was no way the train could leave without us!

There are no secrets in Whittier! I'm sure that the train and the ferry coordinate information. It is a could idea to telephone and confirm how it works.

One of the saddest things I've even done was leave Alaska. That trip to Whittier was a chance to say goodby to someone special. Don't talk to me when I've getting on a plane to depart ANC. I can't manage a chat. It's too hard!
Old Mar 1, 2008, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Further contact info here:

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/Trav...als/index.html

According that page, the Whittier terminal's direct number is (907) 472-2378. If you can't get a straight answer out of the reservations line (I doubt it's an ICC, but still...), maybe you can ask someone in Whittier directly. (You may not get an answer in the off-season, though, if the terminal is closed (the winter ferry schedule is somewhat limited, so I don't know if the office is open every day).

And make sure you went to the real Alaska Marine Highway System website, not any of the numerous travel agencies that will book you on the AMHS but will probably charge a commission or something. The real website is http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/index.html.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder what the deal is about the one hour ahead check in requirement for Whittier?
Old Mar 1, 2008, 9:03 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Consider driving

I recommend renting a car & driving. It's 6-7 hours each way, but the Glenn Highway is part of the "Scenic Highways" system. The scenery is spectacular with glaciers, big rivers and lots of wildlife. The road is in good shape & the drive down into Valdez brings you right next to a spectacular glacier.

There are good, if rustic, restaurants along the way or you can pack a picnic lunch. I'm partial to Eureke Lodge, but King River is good also.

Remember the bug spray whichever way you decide to travel.

This could be an excuse for another ANC mini-doo. Let us know what you schedule is.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 11:19 pm
Original Poster

if I go AND mr. squeakr comes with me

we will likely drive to Valdez ad ferry back. I do not want to drive that way by myself.

Thanks for the very helpful answers - I will know by April 1st if I'm going so stay tuned! The conference is June 14-21.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I will attest, too, that the drive is spectacular, especially over Thompson Pass between Glennallen and Valdez. You really should consider it even if you're alone.

However, be aware that rental cars in ANC at that time of year will probably be just as expensive as the plane ticket would be (right now, you're looking at $75/day for an economy car).
Old Mar 2, 2008, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To the OP: if it is a big meeting, check with the organizers to see if they have transportation suggestions. If they are trying to move a lot of people during prime tourist season, they may have plans.

If it is a small meeting, call the organizers and see if you can get a lift to Valdez.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by squeakr
we will likely drive to Valdez ad ferry back. I do not want to drive that way by myself.

The idea of driving one way and taking the train and ferry back is perfect - best of both worlds.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 11:14 am
Original Poster

the organizers are very helpful with rideshares

which if it works out I may do going to Valdez. But i am likely attending only part of the conference so that may not work.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.