Hotel in Juneau

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel in Juneau

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2009, 2:11 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Juneau could really use a couple of decent hotels. Where do the Alaskan legislatures stay when they are in session?
Old May 18, 2009, 8:13 am

Programs: United 1K, American EXP & 3 Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist & Marriott Ambassador Elite
Generally visitors to the State stay at the hotels discussed. Actually, I have stayed at the Baranof three times now and have come to appreciate its location and being as close to full service as any.
Old May 18, 2009, 7:36 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by dlwalt
Juneau could really use a couple of decent hotels. Where do the Alaskan legislatures stay when they are in session?
Baranof, mostly. The Baranof was where the infamous Bill Allen bribery scandals took place.

Originally Posted by mktozd
Generally visitors to the State stay at the hotels discussed. Actually, I have stayed at the Baranof three times now and have come to appreciate its location and being as close to full service as any.
I'll definitely agree about the location, although parking can be difficult in summer. And there's a great Mexican restaurant a block down Franklin. But I still contend that someone needs to go over it with a feather duster.
Old May 21, 2009, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
The Baranof is fine if you can handle the ghosts. Frankly I can't stay there.
Old May 26, 2009, 10:26 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by oldpenny16
The Baranof is fine if you can handle the ghosts. Frankly I can't stay there.
Okay, now that I spent 4 nights at the Baranof last week, please indulge me about the ghosts.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 4:40 am

Baranof (Westmark)

Originally Posted by Chugach
Baranof, mostly. The Baranof was where the infamous Bill Allen bribery scandals took place.

I'll definitely agree about the location, although parking can be difficult in summer. And there's a great Mexican restaurant a block down Franklin. But I still contend that someone needs to go over it with a feather duster.

Recently stayed at the Baranof. Best part - location and convenience to museums and downtown attractions. Room was OK but service at front desk was curt and unfriendly - over multiple days.

Enjoyed the restaurant, though.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 11:21 am

Programs: Alaska 100K, National and Avis Elite member
Thumbs down Stayed at Baranof recently

We had stayed at the Baranof in Juneau a few weeks ago. It seemed like the hotel was striving to be like a Motel 6 rather than an upscale hotel (like their website suggests). The rooms were very small and very plain. The towels were cheap and looked like they had been used for many years. The clerk at the front desk was very cold and uncaring. Our room had no view at all. The room was so hot that we had to keep our window open all night (and we were kept awake by hearing drunk sailors down on the street below).

There were only 3 good things I could say about this hotel. First, it's location was close to everything we wanted to be near, the steakhouse restaurant was excellent, and they offer Alaska Airlines Milage Plan miles (I think 500 miles but they haven't posted to my account yet).

Unless you need Alaska Airlines miles, I would suggest you find another hotel in the area of downtown.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 8:19 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines, Hilton HHonors
We stayed at the Baranof for several months when we first moved to Juneau. I really like the hotel!

I wouldn't recommend the Gold Belt.

The Alaskan is OK for young folks who enjoy the bar.

There are some new hotels out by the airport, but it's more fun to stay downtown.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 10:45 pm

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
Need updated help please. Has anything better on the hotel scene happened in Juneau? All of them get really mixed reviews. Have a reservation for the Prospector for early July but have read a number of mixed reviews. Westmark ditto. Want to be downtown. Are they all really such a mixed bag? Don't need or expect the Four Seasons, but this is part of a big birthday trip and I would love to have a nice hotel there.

Any info appreciated .
Old Apr 9, 2011, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by mstraveler
Need updated help please. Has anything better on the hotel scene happened in Juneau? All of them get really mixed reviews. Have a reservation for the Prospector for early July but have read a number of mixed reviews. Westmark ditto. Want to be downtown. Are they all really such a mixed bag? Don't need or expect the Four Seasons, but this is part of a big birthday trip and I would love to have a nice hotel there.

Any info appreciated .
I haven't heard of any new hotels in JNU, but I haven't paid attention to the JNU scene.

It's Alaska...you take what you can get.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.