Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2022 Alaska Cruise... where to start?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2021, 7:33 am
Original Poster

2022 Alaska Cruise... where to start?

We're looking for an August 2022 cruise to Alaska, paired with an on-land train experience. Where do we start? Are there specific travel agents who specialize in this? Should I start with a generic Virtuoso agent? Is there a writeup of which cruise lines are better for different aspects? We have kids ranging from 12-5.

Help! Thanks!
Old Apr 23, 2021, 7:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Rather than "where to start" I would consider "when to start."

In the current environment, it is one thing to do some thoughtful looking into where you would like to go, stay and do. But, nobody has any idea what cruising will look like, what ports, what tours and so on. Thus, booking now or anytime in roughly the next year is simply making an interest free loan which may wind you up on the wrong cruise line, ship, and so on.

As to TA, you are NYC-based. I would select a local TA who is well-known to colleagues & friends and where you can have an introduction. That is a TA who has an incentive to make you happy and to keep your business. Nothing beats someone who wants your business, even if they charge fees.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 11:59 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Before looking for a travel agent I'd start by deciding what you want to experience, and how much time you'd have. The one-way cruises (which you'd need) to and from Alaska all start or end in Vancouver BC; all the other cruises (from Seattle or a few from San Francisco) are round-trips that won't allow time for any and-based touring, due to US maritime law.

Travel agents, who work on commissions, will gladly set you up with cruise-rail-hotel packages that will maximize their revenues, not necessarily your enjoyment. You have a year to plan, so use at least part of that year to familiarize yourselves with the cruise and land travel options available. As mentioned, 2022 is likely to be a very high-demand year, with higher prices and possibly less selection in cruise options available, due to all the pent-up demand.

Personally, I would strongly suggest looking at self-drive rather than rail touring options. The Alaska Railroad's route system is very limited and - just my view - wouldn't be ideal for families with kids. With a vehicle you can travel off the beaten path (a little at least) and stop or detour as conditions warrant or as opportunities arise.

Also look at the details, which as you know sometimes can harbor devils. For example, if you want to visit Denali National Park, how will your 5-year old handle the 8-hour round trip ride on a converted school bus traveling from the Denali Park bus station to the main visitor center inside the park? Or if you plan to tour the Kenai Fjords, how does your group handle open ocean in a small boat? Knowledge is power, and in the case of Alaska, the more knowledge the better.

I would look at Cruise Critic for (endless) advice on the cruise options - cruise lines, itineraries, etc. - and at the TripAdvisor Alaska board for a start; there's lots of expertise to be had there.

Hit the books.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 12:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There aren't many Virtuoso hotels in Alaska, so I don't see much benefit to using a Virtuoso agent, who would be someone specializing in luxury hotels. OTOH, if you generally want a higher end or luxury experience overall, a starting point when you're ready to find a travel agent might be to look at the Virtuoso agent listings for someone with a special interest or knowledge of Alaska. Some Virtuoso agents have travel blogs on their websites and you could find information and possible a good travel agent match by looking for posts about Alaska.

However, true luxury in Alaska is likely to mean isolated luxury all inclusive camps accessed by private (sea)plane. These places might not accept children or generally be suitable for a family vacation, especially if you want to see many of the state's tourist attractions.

IIRC Anchorage itself has something like a Sheraton and maybe a second similar chain hotel, a new Hyatt Place near downtown, and a Hyatt House near the airport. Fairbanks has a Marriott family limited service hotel downtown and a recently reflagged Hyatt Place outside of town; I noticed one nonchain hotel downtown that I would guess to be about a three-star property. There seems to be a place not far from ANC airport near the coast that would be considered an interesting lodge; I think some cruise guests stay there.

If you decide to drive, think about how far into the wilderness and how much driving on unpaved roads you would want to do (in a rental car, or would you want to reserve a jeep or something similar?). A couple years ago my home AAA office gave me a very useful printed map of Alaska. Check on cell phone coverage too.

Remember that there might still be COVID-19 restrictions next your if your itinerary takes you through Canada.

Does everyone have a valid passport?
Old Apr 23, 2021, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
For cruising, consider www.cruisecritic.com as a comparable forum to Flyer Talk for asking lots of questions about the ins and outs of cruising.

And definitely heed the advice above about the possibility of doing the land portion yourself, depending on what you really want to do and see.
Old Apr 24, 2021, 9:30 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IIRC Anchorage itself has something like a Sheraton and maybe a second similar chain hotel, a new Hyatt Place near downtown, and a Hyatt House near the airport. Fairbanks has a Marriott family limited service hotel downtown and a recently reflagged Hyatt Place outside of town; I noticed one nonchain hotel downtown that I would guess to be about a three-star property. There seems to be a place not far from ANC airport near the coast that would be considered an interesting lodge; I think some cruise guests stay there.

If you decide to drive, think about how far into the wilderness and how much driving on unpaved roads you would want to do (in a rental car, or would you want to reserve a jeep or something similar?). A couple years ago my home AAA office gave me a very useful printed map of Alaska. Check on cell phone coverage too.
Most of the major hotel chains have properties in Alaska - Marriott, Hilton, Sheraton, etc., with a typical range of entries in mid-market price ranges (Courtyard et al.) Early booking for 2022 is advisable but I wouldn't be too quick to pull the trigger; once the cruise line bookings start coming fast (probably later this year and definitely in Jan - Feb 2022) things will heat up.

The major rental car companies don't allow their vehicles on unpaved roads, but there are still plenty of highways to explore.

In my experience (including a brief time as a travel agent myself) the vast majority of TAs don't know beans about Alaska, beyond what they might have learned on a fam trip on a cruise ship and an overnight at some high end hotel years ago.

Let me suggest you go on Youtube and research "driving in Alaska" or some such. There's a ton of good information (also a lot of dreck) that you could access, just to get a feel for the conditions you'd face.
Old Apr 24, 2021, 4:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Gardyloo
Most of the major hotel chains have properties in Alaska - Marriott, Hilton, Sheraton, etc., with a typical range of entries in mid-market price ranges (Courtyard et al.) Early booking for 2022 is advisable but I wouldn't be too quick to pull the trigger; once the cruise line bookings start coming fast (probably later this year and definitely in Jan - Feb 2022) things will heat up.

The major rental car companies don't allow their vehicles on unpaved roads, but there are still plenty of highways to explore.

In my experience (including a brief time as a travel agent myself) the vast majority of TAs don't know beans about Alaska, beyond what they might have learned on a fam trip on a cruise ship and an overnight at some high end hotel years ago.

Let me suggest you go on Youtube and research "driving in Alaska" or some such. There's a ton of good information (also a lot of dreck) that you could access, just to get a feel for the conditions you'd face.
To some extent this is my point: You won't find many (chain) hotels in Alaska above Courtyard, Fairfield Inn, HP/HH, etc. and these properties do NOT participate in Virtuoso. So it's hard to see the benefit that the OP could get from working with a specifically Virtuoso travel agent.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 10:32 am

Programs: Delta, United
I take exception to your comment "Travel agents, who work on commissions, will gladly set you up with cruise-rail-hotel packages that will maximize their revenues, not necessarily your enjoyment." As a former travel agency owner for over 37 years, our success depended on repeat business. Increasing income at the expense of the client is the best way to lose their business. A good travel agent wants your business today and for all the future travel you do as long as she/he is in the business.
bozacksmith likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 3:44 pm

Another good source for Alaska is Alaska Travelgram - Alaska airfare deals, travel specials and other travel updates by Scott McMurren. Load of good information. Scott is a great guy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.