Reload this Page >

Fishing for Silvers & Halibut: Best areas

Old Oct 13, 18, 1:22 pm
Moderator: Credit Card Programs & Chase Ultimate Rewards, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Too many to list

Looks like I'll be taking a 2nd trip to AK in 2019: August for salmon & halibut fishing. After a lot of research it looks like Soldotna/Kenai area produce good silver salmon runs and Homer is touted as the best area for halibut. My son twisted my arm for this experience. He wants to go before I get too old.

Preliminary plan is 2 or 3 days fishing for silvers and 1 or 2 days for halibut. These two towns look to be about 75 miles apart. Easy drive I think.

Would like your feedback.

TIA
Old Oct 31, 18, 9:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by philemer View Post
Looks like I'll be taking a 2nd trip to AK in 2019: August for salmon & halibut fishing. After a lot of research it looks like Soldotna/Kenai area produce good silver salmon runs and Homer is touted as the best area for halibut. My son twisted my arm for this experience. He wants to go before I get too old.

Preliminary plan is 2 or 3 days fishing for silvers and 1 or 2 days for halibut. These two towns look to be about 75 miles apart. Easy drive I think.

Would like your feedback.

TIA
After talking to a number of charter operators & reading numerous articles it looks like Homer is numero uno for Halibut and Homer & Seward are similar for Silver runs. So it looks like early Aug. for Silvers & Halibut in Homer/Kenai area. Pray for good weather. ^
Old Nov 1, 18, 8:12 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by philemer View Post
After talking to a number of charter operators & reading numerous articles it looks like Homer is numero uno for Halibut and Homer & Seward are similar for Silver runs. So it looks like early Aug. for Silvers & Halibut in Homer/Kenai area. Pray for good weather. ^
Be careful of the Silver Salmon Derby in Seward in mid-August. Things get very busy. Also be mindful of the difference in run timing between salt water and fresh water for silvers. In the Kenai River the runs are somewhat later than in salt water (e.g. Resurrection Bay.) Fishing on the Kenai River is more complicated than in Seward or Homer; a lot has to do with specific locations, tackle, etc. Plenty of research is required.

Also be wary of any time estimates you see on driving in Alaska. Google maps, for example, is chronically optimistic on how long it takes.
Old Nov 1, 18, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post
Be careful of the Silver Salmon Derby in Seward in mid-August. Things get very busy. Also be mindful of the difference in run timing between salt water and fresh water for silvers. In the Kenai River the runs are somewhat later than in salt water (e.g. Resurrection Bay.) Fishing on the Kenai River is more complicated than in Seward or Homer; a lot has to do with specific locations, tackle, etc. Plenty of research is required.

Also be wary of any time estimates you see on driving in Alaska. Google maps, for example, is chronically optimistic on how long it takes.
Thanks. The current plan is to skip Seward and fish @ Homer (early August) for both species and spend a day or two on the Kenai or Russian.

I have a friend who went to the Kenai area last year & he missed the Silver run by a couple days. Lady luck does play a part. And then there is the weather....

My wife and I are visiting in early June for our anniversary so we will be able to do some reconnaissance. ^
jackal likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: