Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Alaska
Reload this Page >

My FIRST Aurora Borelais in Denali

Old Oct 9, 18, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM, AS MVPG 75K, MR-LT Titanium, HH Gold

Stepped out of the hotel around 11PM, saw the OMG Aurora Borealis flashing and dancing by. Quickly went back to my room and gathered tripod and cameras. Captured 2 sequences of time lapse videos. Due to so much light pollution (being near hotel (s) and a busy highway), apologize for the poor quality. NOTE: it appears that the videos only play on computers (don't why they won't play on my phone!!!).

https://stefanofoto.smugmug.com/Amer...-Timelapse-01/
https://stefanofoto.smugmug.com/Amer...-TimeLapse-02/

The next 4 nights in Fairbanks yielded a big ZERO, couldn't see any Northern Lights due to clouds! Very disappointed. They were out and strong (KP varied from 3 to 5) every night but just could not see them.
Fall foliage was at its peak around mid September.
jackal and wrp96 like this.
Old Oct 10, 18, 3:17 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Glad you were able to see the aurora. I have seen them twice from campgrounds inside the park and just last month from a hotel near the entrance. Fortunately i walked far enough away from the hotel to avoid light pollution.
Old Oct 16, 18, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM, AS MVPG 75K, MR-LT Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by fti View Post
Glad you were able to see the aurora. I have seen them twice from campgrounds inside the park and just last month from a hotel near the entrance. Fortunately i walked far enough away from the hotel to avoid light pollution.
Yes, I was happy to have seen it in Denali. My 4 consecutive nights in Fairbanks, despite great forecast of aurora, but didn't see any due to heavy clouds! That's was for 4 nights.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: