Search

In Valdez for a conference in June – hotel question

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2018, 1:16 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco
Original Poster

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
In Valdez for a conference in June – hotel question

Hi everyoneI may be in Valdez in June for a conference, and I’ve seen that there are not many hotels in the town. And certainly those that are there all seem to have some challenges. Does anyone have any particular recommendations for a place that will honor a non-smoking room, Is clean, and where noise from other guests will not be a huge factor?I’m also looking at B&B so if anyone has any suggestions for those I’m open. Close to the Civic Center is great as I won’t have a car.

Thanks everyone

Last edited by squeakr; Mar 1, 2018 at 3:59 pm
Old Feb 28, 2018, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by squeakr
Hi everyoneI may be in Valdez in June for a conference, and I’ve seen that there are not many hotels in the town. And certainly those that are there all seem to have some challenges. Does anyone have any particular recommendations for a place that will honor a non-smoking room, Is clean, and we’re noise from other guests will not be a huge factor?I’m also looking at B&B so if anyone has any suggestions for those I’m open. Close to the Civic Center is great as I won’t have a car.

Thanks everyone
Wow. I'm sort of at a loss for words. What kind of conference could possibly be going on in Valdez?? That's rather like scheduling a conference in Minot, North Dakota or Muscle Shoals, Alabama, albeit with better scenery.

I've stayed at the Best Western two or three times and it's been perfectly fine. No experience with the Totem Inn or other places.

The BW would be an easy walk to the civic center. The Totem Inn would be slightly further but still less than 10 minutes away. I think those might be the only two "real hotel" options, though there are likely several B&Bs around that could work as well.

Just keep in mind that when in rural Alaska, options are limited, and so you can't be too picky about standards. While I don't recall anything negative about the BW, don't expect the Ritz. My recollection is that it was clean but pretty basic.

Also, kinda ironic: I just announced a postponement of the Alaska Do a few minutes ago. Had I been able to put it together for this year, there's a chance we would have run into you in Valdez.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 3:58 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco
Original Poster

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
it's a playwriting conference

Last Frontier Theatre Conference - Last Frontier Theatre Conference

one of the best anywhere - highly competitive and I am thrilled to be going.

I'm mostly concerned about non smoking rooms as I am HIGHLY allergic.
if you want to meet up in Valdez personally hit me up.
jackal likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.