Fairbanks in January

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fairbanks in January

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2017, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by EkekoBWI
Newbie question here: I'm doing r/t SEA-ANC-FAI all on AS over MLK weekend. (Just decided to book, so no DL sale for me.) While in Fairbanks, what's the best way to get around? Was thinking of renting a 4x4, but it's unclear to me if the big box rental car companies mean actual 4x4 when they say Intermediate or Large SUV. Or are there local companies that will rent vehicles well suited to the terrain and this time of year?
Yes. The idea of owning a 2WD SUV in Alaska is such a foreign concept that those of us from Alaska who encounter 2WD SUVs don't even know what to think of them. (Before moving out of Alaska, I seriously didn't even know they existed.)

Remember, the rental car companies sell their cars at the end of their use cycle. 2WD SUVs will NOT sell in Alaska, so they don't buy them.

Avis ANC received a one-way RWD pick-up truck (when the Avis CEO made a blanket "any and all one-ways allowed" policy after Hurricane Katrina). The local franchise owner had no idea what to do with it, so he sent it to Ketchikan, figuring it's warm enough there at least some life will be gotten out of it.

There are a few local companies that rent specially-equipped vehicles with multiple full-size spare tires, etc., but those are intended for trips up the Dalton Highway to Prudhoe Bay. There is absolutely no need for something like that to tootle around town in Fairbanks.

Heck, if I were just staying in town itself, I probably wouldn't even get an SUV. I'd just get a normal midsize car. Fairbanks is practically a desert and does not see very much snow, and since it gets and stays well below freezing, ice isn't a problem, either. In the event it does snow, it won't snow very much, and the city/state get the roads cleared very quickly.

An SUV would be a little bit of a safety bonus if heading out of town to like Chena Hot Springs or something, but even then, I've driven a regular front-wheel-drive car out there in winter without issue.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by mail4hemanthr
Hi,

We are planning to fly to fairbanks during mid of January. I know it will be extremely cold, dark and snow. Wanted to know what all options we have if we prefer to drive to see places around. Other option was to take the arctic circle aurora fly, its bit costly though.

We have visited anchorage, denali earlier in summer and absolutely loved it.

As the northern lights are weather permitting, we do not want to fly just keeping that in mind. We would love to know activities or scenic drives or any tours which is around FairBanks ( we will have a rental car ).

Appreciate your responses. I may have to book flight by tomorrow evening.
Not sure if you have already gone for the trip. I just got back from Fairbanks today.

Aurora was good the full 4 nights i was there over the MLK weekend (caveat here is that its location dependent, for eg, On Sat night, Wiseman had cloud cover but over in Fairbanks it was a clear sky).

As for the car rental, if you have experience driving in full winter conditions, you'll be fine. I was driving around with an Altima with all season tires.
jackal likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 5:03 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
@jackal. Thanks for the tips. Great trip.
jackal likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 1:06 am
T2A

Programs: Alaska MVPG
I'd also recommend hitting up the Chena Hot Springs. Very relaxing and not that bad of a drive from downtown Fairbanks. There's also an ice sculpture museum and resort next to the hot springs.

Went up there on a whim last Friday and had a great time.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
We were in Fairbanks with jackal when it was -25 and crystal clear. So we expected great things when we headed up to Chena Hot Springs. But the mid-March "ideal Aurora viewing weather" never materialized as we had cloud cover up there for the entire stay. One day the temps were in the -30s with some wind and it felt as cold as I have ever experienced, walking that couple of hundred yards into the wind.

When we walked into the ice hotel which was kept at +20, we felt that to actually be warm.
jackal likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by monitor
When we walked into the ice hotel which was kept at +20, we felt that to actually be warm.
Our evil plan worked!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.