FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-449/)
-   -   Fishing Lodge for a couple of days? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska/1743247-fishing-lodge-couple-days.html)

SFO777 Jan 31, 2016 11:12 pm

Fishing Lodge for a couple of days?

Mrs. SFO777 has it in her mind that she wants to go salmon fishing in Alaska this year with one of our sons and his fiancée. Most of the nice lodges I've looked at online have 6/7 day packages. Way too long for us. We're interested in 2 days of fishing max and then a few days of sightseeing... total 4/5 days.

Would appreciate recommendations for lodges/suggestions that would combine fishing, wilderness exploration and sightseeing... not just non-stop fishing.

Thanks.

Big4Flyer Feb 4, 2016 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777 (Post 26113427)
Mrs. SFO777 has it in her mind that she wants to go salmon fishing in Alaska this year with one of our sons and his fiancée. Most of the nice lodges I've looked at online have 6/7 day packages. Way too long for us. We're interested in 2 days of fishing max and then a few days of sightseeing... total 4/5 days.

Would appreciate recommendations for lodges/suggestions that would combine fishing, wilderness exploration and sightseeing... not just non-stop fishing.

Thanks.

I never would have taken Mrs. SFO to be the outdoor type :D I'm not sure if its your style, but we've been looking at Brooks Lodge in Katmailand for our upcoming trip for the same reason. Unfortunately we'll be there in June before the salmon run starts but if you're there in July/August in might work out. They have quite a few packages online for 2 days + and when we called they said they could make a custom package based on what we want to do and how long we want to be there. It's not a luxury lodge although apparently the cabins are much nicer than the lodge.

FlyForFun Feb 9, 2016 8:59 am

While whale watching in Maui, I met a very nice couple who own and operate a fishing lodge on Prince of Wales Island in Southeastern Alaska. In the summer, there is daily ferry service from Ketchikan. Sorry but I cannot recall the name of their lodge but Google provided a variety of options and prices for that area.

I do have experience with salmon fishing in the Kenai and Russian Rivers. This area is very accessible and less than a two-hour drive from the Anchorage Airport. There are fishing guides available who will assist you, provide all equipment, clean your fish, and even ship them home for you. A two-mile hike to the Russian River Falls may result in seeing bears gorging on salmon; the trail is fairly flat and easy to manage. My eighty-year old mother had no problems hiking to the falls and back. We did not encounter bears but we did see salmon leaping up the falls and swimming upstream.

The Kenai River has some of the best salmon fishing in Alaska. Cooper Landing is located just off the Seward Highway where Alaska Highway 1 continues toward Homer and the Seward Highway continues to Seward. There are some lovely homes to rent near Cooper Landing and also in Moose Pass that offer great amenities at decent prices.

We have stayed at the Spruce Moose near Moose Pass several times. There are three chalets available with space for up to ten adults. The chalets have gorgeous views of the mountains and lake. Cable television, wifi, and a private hot tub are included.

Seward is a forty-five minute drive from Moose Pass. Seward has a Safeway grocery store with every kind of food available and a liquor store. Seward has a variety of restaurants ranging from "fine" dining to fast food. The Kenai Fjords National Park includes Exit Glacier where you can walk up to a glacier, see wildlife, and hike over an ice field. From Seward, you can take day cruises to view glaciers and see wildlife. Smaller boats are available for private charters for glacier viewing, wildlife seeing, and ocean fishing.