Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Alaska
Reload this Page >

ideas for 5-hr layover in Juneau

Old Jul 12, 15, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K

my wife and I arrive Sat ~9am, leave ~245pm ... I have a rental car reserved; any recommendations for non-touristy things to do (she has seen the glacier and says there's not much to recommend it)? also looking for a good place to have lunch, most likely including a beer ...
Old Jul 13, 15, 8:06 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
As for the food and beer, the Hangar at the Wharf has both (are you coming in on a ship?). Service is slow.

Another good place is the Island Pub on 2nd Street in Douglas. Take the bridge across the channel and take the second exit off the roundabout. It's about two miles distant. The main highway is 3rd Street in Douglas, so the pub is a block toward the water.

I'd go with Island Pub.

As for sights, you could drive out to Auke Bay and have food and fuel at Squires Rest, place has upped its food game and they serve there, too. Squires is on the upland side of the highway. Nice view of the harbor.

You can drive "out the road" and hike on the Herbert Glacier Trail. A drive out the road is by definition scenic. You might even see a bear!

Have a great seven hours in my home town!
Old Jul 13, 15, 8:08 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
my wife and I arrive Sat ~9am, leave ~245pm ... I have a rental car reserved; any recommendations for non-touristy things to do (she has seen the glacier and says there's not much to recommend it)? also looking for a good place to have lunch, most likely including a beer ...
(Deleted - dupe)
Old Jul 13, 15, 8:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I dunno...

I enjoyed the glacier, a nice little hike out to the edge with beautiful scenery. If the weather is nice and you haven't seen it, I'd still recommend it. Not worth it if it's cold and rainy, probably.
Old Jul 13, 15, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
@Dave1013 -- thx for the ideas ... should have clarified: this is a day trip from SEA, in on the Combi, out on the milk run
@DocSavage -- I think we will probably make a real time call based on the weather (forecast currently looks marginal at best)

Search this Thread