Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Alaska
Reload this Page >

Tips for good deals renting car from ANC?

Old May 6, 15, 9:34 pm
Original Poster

Hey everyone. Long time reader. First time poster. I'm throwing this message up on this board because this seems like a useful resource for people traveling around. I had a question about rental cars in Alaska, particularly at ANC or Elmendorf AFB. I was at Hertz Elmendorf two years ago and would have paid 580ish for an SUV for a week, but paid 340, all because of a coupon code a fellow traveler had. I'm looking now and expectedly - car prices are upwards of 600-700 for June 22-29. I'm wondering, does anyone have any pointers on possibly where to look for "coupons" for rentacars, if they exist? or any other avenue to knock some money off the price? Any and all advice appreciated. Dedicated Alaska traveler here. Just trying to get back this year the most affordable way. Hey, United had a RT from Dayton to Anchorage for $528. Can't beat it with a stick. At least the airfare is more than affordable. Thanks everyone.

-Mark
Old May 7, 15, 3:17 pm

Unfortunately Alaska is notorious for high car prices in the summer. If you could visit before May 31 you'd find cheaper rates but aside from the coupon codes you'll find in other threads in the various car rental forums, there's probably not much you could do. Even checking hotwire shows that there are no real deals to be had. You might want to try one of the smaller car rental places like Alaskacarandvan.com. They at least save on the airport fees and give you the 7th day free. Enjoy your trip to AK!
Old May 7, 15, 10:42 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Book something now and keep checking. Often rates will drop.

You also might want to look at places like Enterprise on E. International Blvd. They are a short taxi ride from the airport (about $15) and it might save you big time on the airport taxes/fees that were mentioned above.

I have sometimes gotten great rates for on-airport rental, but that is usually when I book 8-11 months in advance.
Old May 8, 15, 9:31 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Also, make sure you register and track your reservation via autoslash.com. They will follow your reservation and let you know if they find a coupon or cheaper rate on your reservation. Great free service.
Old May 8, 15, 11:08 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
If one is planning on the standard Anchorage - Kenai - Denali - Fairbanks - Anchorage circuit, then look at flying into FAI and renting from there instead. In general cars are around 40% - 50% less ex-FAI than ex-ANC, and often the airfare difference from the Lower 48 isn't all that great.

Search this Thread