4 day trip to Alaska

Old Mar 21, 15, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, United Gold
5 day trip to Alaska

The wife and I are planning to visit Alaska for 5 full days in late May. We definitely want to do Denali NP and take the Kenai Cruise as well as hike Kenai NP. We're both in our 20's and have driven as much as 20 hours in a single shot so driving stamina is of no concern. We're landing in Anchorage on day 1 at 10am. Any ideas on the best itinerary to cover these places and possibly more? I figured land, grab a rental and immediately head north. The late sunsets will definitely help.

Last edited by insomniac950; Mar 21, 15 at 8:47 pm
Old Mar 22, 15, 10:33 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Can you give the date/time of your flight arrival and departure? That would help.

Also note that 20 hours of driving on the interstate in the lower 48 has no comparison to driving on two lane roads in Alaska.
Old Mar 22, 15, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Arrive 8:30 AM May 20th, Depart May 25th at 2:40 am. Would you say the driving is similar to portions of Banff/Jasper?
Old Mar 22, 15, 1:38 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Since May 20 is the start of road access to the interior of Denali Park, I'd reverse the order of things and start by heading south to Seward and your Kenai Fjords activities. This will also help you avoid traffic on the Seward Hwy on Memorial Day weekend.

5/20 - ANC to Seward, local hikes/sightseeing
5/21 - Kenai Fjords cruise, PM back to Anchorage
5/22 - Anchorage to Denali
5/23 - Day in/out at Denali
5/24 - Back to Anchorage, flight out that night

Driving isn't hard; for the most part good 2-lane roads. Watch for moose and fellow drivers. The issue with Denali is that private cars aren't allowed very far into the park, so you have to ride shuttle or tour buses. In late May you may not be able to get very far into the park, and also be aware that the weather can be socked in; some high percentage of visitors to the park never actually see the mountain.
Old Mar 22, 15, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post
Since May 20 is the start of road access to the interior of Denali Park, I'd reverse the order of things and start by heading south to Seward and your Kenai Fjords activities. This will also help you avoid traffic on the Seward Hwy on Memorial Day weekend.

5/20 - ANC to Seward, local hikes/sightseeing
5/21 - Kenai Fjords cruise, PM back to Anchorage
5/22 - Anchorage to Denali
5/23 - Day in/out at Denali
5/24 - Back to Anchorage, flight out that night

Driving isn't hard; for the most part good 2-lane roads. Watch for moose and fellow drivers. The issue with Denali is that private cars aren't allowed very far into the park, so you have to ride shuttle or tour buses. In late May you may not be able to get very far into the park, and also be aware that the weather can be socked in; some high percentage of visitors to the park never actually see the mountain.
Thank you so much. This itinerary seems ideal with what I want to accomplish.
Old Mar 23, 15, 9:10 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
The buses in Denali only go 53 miles to Toklat through end of May. I strongly suggest you book a SHUTTLE bus nkt a tour bus. That time of year no bus goes further. Shuttle bus costs a lot less and gives you the chance to get off if yoh want (hike, more extended wildlife viewing, etc).

Book the bus into Denali in advance.

Search this Thread