FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-449/)
-   -   Fairbanks - mid-March (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska/1660543-fairbanks-mid-march.html)

CherylD Mar 4, 2015 2:45 pm

Fairbanks - mid-March

Hi, I have found similar threads from last year - but we will specifically be in Fairbanks March 19-23 to see the Aurora Borealis.
I have checked the recommended Dale and Jo view suites - but they are fully booked. I currently have the Hampton Inn booked as our back-up plan.
I would appreciate any tips on places to stay and things to do during this time.
Thank you!

fti Mar 5, 2015 5:13 am

Do you have a car? You can stay in town and drive out of town in case of the Aurora. I stayed at a place on Chena Hot Springs Road - Chandalar Ranch. Pretty basic but outside the city lights so no need to drive anywhere in the middle of the night if the aurora comes out.

The Museum of the North is worth a visit, even for "non-museum" people. You could also consider a day trip to Denali NP. You can drive the first 12 miles and if you go on a weekend, there might be ranger-led snowshoe hikes.

CherylD Mar 5, 2015 5:41 am

Thank you, we will rent a car. I emailed Chandalar yesterday to check their availability, but have had no response.
Thank you also for the museum and Denali info! We will be there over a weekend too.
I wish we had planned this months ago to secure reservations..but I want to go for it anyway and make the best we can. Since the Spring Equinox falls on a new moon, it seems like the best opportunity. Fingers crossed there aren't any clouds. :)

Maykita Mar 7, 2015 6:55 pm

We are going up to Fairbanks tomorrow for a couple days for the Iditarod restart and will take a stab at trying to see the Aurora (conditions should be better when you are there of course). We have a variety of plans with different outfitters -- I will try to report back after we return with any specific recommendations.

CherylD Mar 9, 2015 8:22 am

Originally Posted by Maykita (Post 24472086)
We are going up to Fairbanks tomorrow for a couple days for the Iditarod restart and will take a stab at trying to see the Aurora (conditions should be better when you are there of course). We have a variety of plans with different outfitters -- I will try to report back after we return with any specific recommendations.

Thank you! That would be wonderful. :-)

Maykita Mar 11, 2015 7:34 pm

We were lucky and saw the aurora on Monday night. Amazing! We did a combo night dogsledding and aurora viewing tour with Sirius Sled Dogs -- great experience, highly recommend!

Other fun things we did:
-Mushing school with Just Short of Magic
-Ice Park to see the ice sculptures from the competition
-Reindeer walk at Running Reindeer Ranch
- Museum of the North, mentioned above

Have a good trip!

CherylD Mar 13, 2015 1:36 pm

Thank you Maykita!

lesenok Mar 23, 2015 9:24 am

I was in Fairbanks March 2-9 and also witnessed the Iditarod and Northern lights. It was a unique experience. But man, it was frigging COLD! Chena Hot Springs was nice to see and experience but it is NOT the Blue Lagoon fame of Iceland.

Northern Lights from my flight to Fairbanks Alaska on March 2, 2015. It a unique perspective seeing from from the air. It was amazing sight.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/membe...ight-plane.jpg

Iditarod start from Pikes Lodge, Fairbanks 9Mar15. Normally starts in ANC but was not due to unusual snow conditions.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/membe...-fairbanks.jpg

Maykita Mar 23, 2015 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by lesenok (Post 24551799)
I was in Fairbanks March 2-9 and also witnessed the Iditarod and Northern lights. It was a unique experience. But man, it was frigging COLD! Chena Hot Springs was nice to see and experience but it is NOT the Blue Lagoon fame of Iceland.

Northern Lights from my flight to Fairbanks Alaska on March 2, 2015. It a unique perspective seeing from from the air. It was amazing sight.

Iditarod start from Pikes Lodge, Fairbanks 9Mar15. Normally starts in ANC but was not due to unusual snow conditions.

Nice pics! We got to volunteer in the chute where the teams lined up before they started, which was really fun -- the dogs were so excited -- but yes, super cold!

747FC Dec 14, 2015 11:09 am

Originally Posted by CherylD (Post 24455038)
Hi, I have found similar threads from last year - but we will specifically be in Fairbanks March 19-23 to see the Aurora Borealis.
I have checked the recommended Dale and Jo view suites - but they are fully booked. I currently have the Hampton Inn booked as our back-up plan.
I would appreciate any tips on places to stay and things to do during this time.
Thank you!

I happen to be in the midst of planning a trip there for about the same time. Just starting my research.

I would be interested in learning more about what you have discovered in your planning re dress, tours, etc. I just went to our newly opened "North Face" store and see that an Arctic parka costs $500. Now to add all the other layers :)...

Chugach Dec 20, 2015 9:54 am

Originally Posted by 747FC (Post 25862303)
I happen to be in the midst of planning a trip there for about the same time. Just starting my research.

I would be interested in learning more about what you have discovered in your planning re dress, tours, etc. I just went to our newly opened "North Face" store and see that an Arctic parka costs $500. Now to add all the other layers :)...

North Face is for rookies. Check out Apocalypse Design at www.akgear.com

Locally owned in Fairbanks. Many long distance dog mushers swear by their gear.

747FC Dec 20, 2015 10:19 am

Originally Posted by Chugach (Post 25892679)
North Face is for rookies. Check out Apocalypse Design at www.akgear.com

Locally owned in Fairbanks. Many long distance dog mushers swear by their gear.

Thanks!