19 Hours In Anchorage

Old Dec 24, 14, 5:07 am
Original Poster

19 Hours In Anchorage

Hello Delta community! After two years (!) of lurking and getting all kinds of tips and laughs from the crew here, I registered to ask some advice.

I'm taking a mileage run from FLL to Anchorage this weekend to get to Platinum. I have 19 hours - arriving around 1 am on Sunday, then leaving that night at 9 pm.

So much seems to be closed on Sundays there. I'm trying to find a way to maximize my fun but I'd love some suggestions. Here's what I have:

+ Arrive 1 am, staying at the Sheraton (I thought about a smaller B&B style place but figured if I am arriving in the middle of the night, I need a hotel with an all night staff).
+ Waking up 10 am ish, since that's when sunrise is. Maybe earlier.
+ Breakfast at Snow City Cafe;
+ Mass at Holy Family Cathedral;
+ Glacier heli ride (if I can get them to return my email
+ 4 pm showing of A Christmas Carol at the Alaska Center for the Arts;
+ Dinner at Simon & Seafort's
+ Back to the airport.

I thought about an Alaska Railroad trip but it only runs once a day to/from Seward and the return train arrives back in Anchorage at 8 pm; with a 9:20 pm flight, that seemed just too tight.

I'd love suggestions....anyone?

Last edited by FlyingForTheHalibut; Dec 24, 14 at 10:05 am Reason: Forgot a phrase
Old Dec 24, 14, 9:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I assume you'll have a small carry on bag for the overnight. Do you plan to carry it around with you all day? Have you thought about the logistics of doing this and, in fact, whether it will be an issue to either keep it with you (glacier ride? church? theater?) or find a secure place to check it?
Old Dec 24, 14, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
I suggested to the mods for them to move to the Alaska destinations forum as you will get more responses there.

You are correct not to take the train to Seward as trains can and do run late. I'm not even sure it runs this late in the year
Old Dec 24, 14, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; HH Diam,Hz PC,
I would be crazy and do more flying- BRW or OTZ/OME even JNU etc.
Old Dec 24, 14, 9:51 am

Programs: Delta PM/ Hilton Diamond
For Breakfast/Lunch I would recommend you try F Street Station if it is open. Easily my favorite place in Anchorage. If the Oysters are in season you must order them. Halibut is also great.

For Dinner- Ginger is a cool place that is better than S&S in my opinion. Also Club Paris is pretty awesome. It is a Don Draper era steakhouse that is a total trip. The food is excellent at both locations.

If you like beer, Midnight Sun Brewing Company brews some excellent and interesting local beers. Humpy's Great Alaskan Ale House also has some selections that you'd be hard pressed to find other places.

Have a good trip and stay warm!!
Old Dec 24, 14, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
I assume you'll have a small carry on bag for the overnight. Do you plan to carry it around with you all day? Have you thought about the logistics of doing this and, in fact, whether it will be an issue to either keep it with you (glacier ride? church? theater?) or find a secure place to check it?
Thanks for the thought - I called the hotel yesterday and asked if I could have my bag be there with the bell desk for the day, and they seemed fine with it.
Old Dec 24, 14, 10:16 am

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
Definitely do breakfast or brunch at the Snow City Cafe.

If I were you, I'd skip the rest of your planned activities and instead rent a car and head down the Seward Hwy. Portage Lake is an easy day trip, or if you don't want to drive that far, Alyeska ski resort is closer to ANC. Nice base lodge for a meal, or you could take the cable car to the summit.
Old Dec 24, 14, 10:27 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by FlyingForTheHalibut View Post
Thanks for the thought - I called the hotel yesterday and asked if I could have my bag be there with the bell desk for the day, and they seemed fine with it.
Then you need to return to the hotel before going to the airport. Will this take much time or be inconvenient?

Of course, if you follow the suggestion to rent a car, the issue disappears into the trunk.
Old Dec 24, 14, 10:27 am

Programs: DL DM, .99MM, NEXUS, SC Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LVC everywhere
Places we like and keep going back to:

Breakfast - Snow City Cafe is "the place to go". The food is really good too.

Lunch - Glacier Brewhouse

Dinner - Sacks Cafe and Orso

Things to do - The Anchorage Museum is a fascinating place. There's a permanent exhibit, "Alaska Native Culture",with many artifacts on loan from The Smithsonian that gives you an overview of the diverse Alaska Native Peoples. Also lots of other wonderful stuff. We make it a point to spend half a day there every time we go to ANC. Our last 2 trips were this past March and September 2013.

Downtown Anchorage is completely walkable
Old Dec 24, 14, 10:34 am

Programs: DL DM, .99MM, NEXUS, SC Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LVC everywhere
Am I the only one who doesn't see the original post in the thread? The first one I see is MSPEconomist's first post.
Old Dec 24, 14, 10:41 am

Apparently the OP was shipped off to the Alaska destination forum but somehow the rest of the thread stayed here. Sorry for not quoting the OP to preserve it for convenience.

Post #5 above is the OP. Clicking on that username will give you an option to see more posts by or threads started by FlyingForTheHalibut. That should be an easy way to find the OP.

Programs: AA Gold, Delta DM Hilton Diamond SPG Gold, and Foodland premium.
Originally Posted by SuperG1955 View Post
Am I the only one who doesn't see the original post in the thread? The first one I see is MSPEconomist's first post.
Me too strange. I was just in Alaska last month.
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SuperG1955 View Post
That IS really strange - I don't know what happened.

I'm the OP - what I wrote was that I have 19 hours in Anchorage on a mileage run, arriving at 1 am on Sunday Dec 28 then leaving again that same day, at 9:00 pm. I was looking for some ideas of things to do, and I'd love input.

I've already changed my hotel based on some of the suggestions here to one that is right near the downtown attractions so that I can get back for my luggage more easily - the Hilton, using some points that I have.

Thanks everyone so far - this is fun for me, and I appreciate it.
Old Dec 24, 14, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Apparently the OP was shipped off to the Alaska destination forum but somehow the rest of the thread stayed here. Sorry for not quoting the OP to preserve it for convenience.

Post #5 above is the OP. Clicking on that username will give you an option to see more posts by or threads started by FlyingForTheHalibut. That should be an easy way to find the OP.
Nope. I had tried that and also checked the Alaska Forum - NADA. If you can find it would you please quote it. Thanks.
Old Dec 24, 14, 10:59 am

Programs: AA Gold, Delta DM Hilton Diamond SPG Gold, and Foodland premium.
The road trip to seaward is spectacular. You should do that right away in the morning. I saw bald eagles, wild sheep, bears and plenty of moose.

Search this Thread