FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-449/)
-   -   1-2 days in Anchorage mid Aug 2015 (no car) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska/1638138-1-2-days-anchorage-mid-aug-2015-no-car.html)

ausTraveller13 Dec 17, 2014 3:22 pm

1-2 days in Anchorage mid Aug 2015 (no car)

I've read some of the other suggested itineraries with interest, but was hoping for some additional suggestions as I won't have a car.

In mid August 2015 (yep, I start my planning early) I'll have just finished a 2 week photography safari starting and ending in Anchorage. We've been advised to add a couple of buffer days at the end in Anchorage as this year the safari was delayed days in Kodiak by fog.

So depending on the weather, I will have hopefully 1 -2 days (Tuesday, Wednesday) in Anchorage. I won't have a car. I will have just seen glaciers and bears fishing as the trip goes via Whittier with 5 days on Prince William Sound, a day in Kodiak including visiting Pillar Mountain, and a float plane across Shelikoff Strait into Geographic Harbour where we are for 3 days.

I will be staying at the Historic Anchorage Hotel.

I like a good market but I realise that is not likely an option as I don't have weekend days. I made note of the Alaska Heritage Visitor Centre and Alaska Native Medical Centre for displays and classy craft shopping, but not sure how viable that is without a car either.

What can you suggest in walking or public transport distance in and around Anchorage? Or an organised day tour out of Anchorage?

Thanks!

fti Dec 18, 2014 9:26 am

Is there any reason why you don't want to rent a car? It would open up a lot more options.

There is a dedicated shuttle from downtown to the Native Heritage Center so that is definitely a worthwhile visit.

You can go to the Alaska Public Lands Information Center downtown where they have exhibits, information as well as films and speakers throughout the day.

You can rent a bicycle and bike part of the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail.

Without a car, the only way to get to the Native Medical Center is by public bus or taxi.

You also might check with Salmonberry Tours to see if they have anything that might interest you. That could get you on a tour outside of Anchorage. They have very well-run tours. I think the Turnagain Arm tour could be a highlight. You will have seen glaciers on your PWS trip but if you want to walk on one, Salmonberry offers a tour to Matanuska Glacier where you can trek on the glacier.

ausTraveller13 Dec 21, 2014 3:50 pm

Thanks for the info.
RE no hire car - I'm just not comfortable/confident driving on the opposite side of the road to what I am used to. I tried it on the big island in Hawaii with a friend and managed but found it stressful, and in Anchorage I would be solo with no navigator...

I think I'm getting my notes mixed up - what is the difference between the experience at the Native Heritage Center and the Native Medical Center?
Does the Anchorage Museum have significantly different exhibits and experiences to either or both of the Native Centers?

I will look further into the bicycle hire and trail, and see what Salmonberry Tours offer.

Thanks again!

Gardyloo Dec 22, 2014 9:50 am

Originally Posted by ausTraveller13 (Post 24033856)
Thanks for the info.
RE no hire car - I'm just not comfortable/confident driving on the opposite side of the road to what I am used to. I tried it on the big island in Hawaii with a friend and managed but found it stressful, and in Anchorage I would be solo with no navigator...

I think I'm getting my notes mixed up - what is the difference between the experience at the Native Heritage Center and the Native Medical Center?
Does the Anchorage Museum have significantly different exhibits and experiences to either or both of the Native Centers?

I will look further into the bicycle hire and trail, and see what Salmonberry Tours offer.

Thanks again!

The Native Heritage center is more akin to a cultural museum or interpretive center, focusing on the various major groups of Native Alaskans. The Native Medical Center is a hospital that happens to have a terrific little gift shop with (IMO) the best selection of native arts and crafts available. In addition, the hospital is full of some amazingly beautiful art (all media) in the halls, in display areas, etc. It's extremely worthwhile just to walk around. Note the gift shop's hours are limited.

The main museum is excellent, but obviously more varied and extensive than the Heritage Center, but also quite different.