Wiki Posts
Search

Flying with alcohol into Barrow, AK??

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2014, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Flying with alcohol into Barrow, AK??

Hey all,

I have my first trip to Alaska next month (visiting Fairbanks, Barrow, Seward, and Anchorage). I know that one cannot purchase alcoholic beverages inside of Barrow, but the possession of them is not illegal. Has anyone had any experience flying into Barrow with a bottle or two of booze? Is this legal and doable for the casual traveler?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

-RP3
antobhoy67 likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 12:03 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
This is a good topic to seek the help of the readers of the Alaska forum. I'll move it there. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Thank you!

Hey Alaska readers...can you help me out?
Old Oct 7, 2014, 2:13 pm

Programs: DL Plat
Barrow is "damp", not "dry", so the sale of alcohol is prohibited, but bringing in alcohol from elsewhere for personal consumption is okay. As long as it's a relatively small quantity and you have no intention to resell it, you'll be fine.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:57 am

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Why is alcohol banned in Barrow? I'm assuming due to the damaging effects of drinking on the population, but I would be interested to hear more.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
Why is alcohol banned in Barrow? I'm assuming due to the damaging effects of drinking on the population, but I would be interested to hear more.
See:
http://commerce.state.ak.us/dnn/abc/...mmunities.aspx
Old Oct 24, 2014, 6:40 am

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
This is just the laws behind dry/damp cities. I was asking more of the WHY is Barrow damp vs. a place like Anchorage.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
This is just the laws behind dry/damp cities. I was asking more of the WHY is Barrow damp vs. a place like Anchorage.
Because Barrow has chosen to avail themselves of the local option laws. There are many complex reasons. Some of the publications of the Advisory Board on Alcoholism and Drug Abuse address alcohol problems in Alaska. See:
http://dhss.alaska.gov/abada/Pages/publications.aspx
http://dhss.alaska.gov/dph/Documents.../06_Barrow.pdf
Old Nov 15, 2014, 11:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I've brought a couple liters up there before.

Going to dry villages like GAM,- that's less fun.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 1:20 am

We spent a night in Barrow a few years ago. We knew it was "damp" thanks to advice from FT. So we had half a bottle left over from FAI, and took that with us. No problems with TSA etc. This was before the ban on liquids for carry on. We stayed at the King Eider Inn which is probably the best place in town. They had a sign that said "no alcohol" but we didn't pay a lot of attention to that.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 2:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by PIONEER
We spent a night in Barrow a few years ago. We knew it was "damp" thanks to advice from FT. So we had half a bottle left over from FAI, and took that with us. No problems with TSA etc. This was before the ban on liquids for carry on. We stayed at the King Eider Inn which is probably the best place in town. They had a sign that said "no alcohol" but we didn't pay a lot of attention to that.
FYI BRW has a brand-new hotel that just opened- very nice looking inside. Top of the World.

Perhaps it will serve as a base for a future DO? Granted I've been there twice already and nearly missed my last flight due to low fog...it flew so low that flightaware indicated the plane had landed, but we couldn't see the a/c from the ground. After stopping in SCC, it made it back thankfully as I had work the next morning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.