~7 hours in ANC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

~7 hours in ANC

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2014, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
~7 hours in ANC

Doing mileage run to ANC and have half a day there (land at 3 and leave at midnight). With departing and getting back to airport by 11, probably have 7-8 hours there

Any recommendations on what I can do there including meal ideas? I'm vegetarian so may make it bit more complex. Thx!
Old Sep 7, 2014, 4:02 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
When will you be there? Date/time of year is really important info.

Are you interested in renting a car when there? That would give you a lot more options.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by fti
When will you be there? Date/time of year is really important info.

Are you interested in renting a car when there? That would give you a lot more options.
I will be there in 2 weeks on Sep 24th. I did rent a car already
Old Sep 8, 2014, 10:02 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would suggest a drive down the Seward Highway - along Turnagain Arm, Girdwood, the Winner Creek hand tram near Girdwood, the Wildlife Conservation Center if it is open, Byron Glacier hike/walk. Maybe even take the tunnel to Whittier. They have a good museum in Whittier and great views. But the tunnel is only open once an hour in each direction.

You can also drive up to Glen Alps (the mountains east of Anchorage) for great views and some hiking trails.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fti
I would suggest a drive down the Seward Highway - along Turnagain Arm, Girdwood, the Winner Creek hand tram near Girdwood, the Wildlife Conservation Center if it is open, Byron Glacier hike/walk. Maybe even take the tunnel to Whittier. They have a good museum in Whittier and great views. But the tunnel is only open once an hour in each direction.

You can also drive up to Glen Alps (the mountains east of Anchorage) for great views and some hiking trails.
Thx. Any recos for where to eat?
Old Sep 9, 2014, 7:41 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anandrag
Thx. Any recos for where to eat?
Not sure what will still be open in Girdwood, but I have eaten at the Silver Tip Grill there before. Simple atmosphere but good food. Double Musky Inn gets good reviews though I have never eaten there. Seven Glaciers restaurant is an aerial tram ride up the mountain (if you make advance reservations I believe the tram ride is free). Seven Glaciers has a great view and is definitely "fine dining" compared to anywhere else in Girdwood.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.