Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Alaska
Reload this Page >

Trip to Kodiak Is. Alaska?

Old Apr 23, 14, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United, delta, AA, Alaskan, Frontier, Hilton Gold, Hyatt, Chase Sapphire

Have lots of Delta, American, United, Chase Sapphire, and Frontier miles but can't find flights from Omaha August 27 and back Sept. 10. I need Alaska Airline miles. I'm a newfer at this and need help. Thanks...
Old Apr 24, 14, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
For AS miles just worry about ANC-ADQ. Route is flown by Era Alaska. Although looking at this summer it will cost about the same to but he miles and book a saver award as it is to book a revenue ticket.

The rest see if you can book to and from Anchorage with miles
Old Apr 24, 14, 8:42 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
I'm not sure if I completely understand what you're asking...

With regard to redeeming miles: AA and Delta both allow redemptions for Alaska Airlines flights. Why do you believe you specifically need Alaska Airlines miles?

Regarding availability of award seats on your travel dates, well that's a bit of a craps-shoot no matter what. You really just have to keep trying.

If you can post back with more details, and clarify your question a bit, other more knowledgable members will probably be able to give you better advice.
Old Apr 24, 14, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: United, delta, AA, Alaskan, Frontier, Hilton Gold, Hyatt, Chase Sapphire
Sorry about the confusion. I'll looked over a million options and my head is spinning. I should have booked some flights yesterday. Many of the lower point seats are now gone. I think I'm trying to be too cheap with the miles I have. I need to pull the trigger and not wait for the perfect offer. Will the lower point seats reappear? Thanks...
Old Apr 24, 14, 10:08 am
Moderator, Alaska Airlines & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Originally Posted by shanna135 View Post
Have lots of Delta, American, United, Chase Sapphire, and Frontier miles but can't find flights from Omaha August 27 and back Sept. 10. I need Alaska Airline miles. I'm a newfer at this and need help. Thanks...
Delta will get you all the way to Kodiak. Delta partners with Alaska, so assuming there is saver space available on Alaska, your Delta miles can get you there on a mix of Alaska and Delta.

Delta flies as far as ANC, and you can then connect to an Alaska flight to ADQ; Alaska also now serves OMA, so if Alaska has saver space all the way, you can take them all the way, or take Delta to Seattle and pick Alaska up there.

If the Delta award search isn't working, try using the search on the Alaska Airlines page. If you see any results there involving Alaska, Delta, or a mix of the two pricing out at the Saver level (12,500 miles each way), it should be bookable by Delta, too--call Delta if necessary and feed them the specific flight numbers of the itinerary you find.

United and Frontier will get you only as far as Anchorage, as they do not partner with any carrier that serves ADQ (Alaska and Era). You'd need to redeem a separate ticket from ANC to ADQ, which you can do using Alaska miles on either Alaska or Era (the former for 15,000 miles round-trip and the latter for as low as 10,000 miles round trip until the end of the month, at which point it goes up). You can also redeem Delta miles on Alaska between ANC and ADQ, but it'll be 25,000 miles (space available)--the same price as an award all the way from OMA, so that seems like a waste.

Thus, the only reason you'd need Alaska miles is if you are trying to find your way to ANC and then redeem a separate award between ANC and ADQ. If your Delta miles aren't working, then Alaska Airlines miles won't really help you get from OMA to ADQ, since both pull from the same inventory. Although, if you have enough Alaska Airlines miles to redeem for a Choice or even Full Flex ticket from OMA to ADQ, that can serve as a sort of "get out of jail free" card to get you there in a pinch, but it's a lot more miles (although not a horrible value, given the average fare on an OMA-ADQ itinerary).

If you need Alaska miles for that purpose, your best bet to get that many miles now is probably to apply for the Alaska Signature Visa credit card--maybe two of them (not sure if they allow that; there's a discussion thread in our Alaska Airlines forum on the card as well as possibly some discussion in the Credit Card Programs forum about churning Bank of America credit cards). Also, your Chase Sapphire points may be useful, too, but I am not very familiar with that program so can't comment directly. Perhaps others can.

One rule of thumb to remember: when using miles, you NEED to be flexible. When you have specific dates that you cannot deviate from--as it sounds is the case from your post--you can't really expect to get the most out of a mileage program. Also, keep checking. Airlines can add (or subtract) seats from saver award inventory at any time.

Edited to add: I did a quick search on the Alaska Airlines site and found saver inventory on the outbound leg on your date but no saver inventory on the return. For the outbound, it's DL4470 OMA-SLC, DL 2312 SLC-ANC, an overnight in ANC, and then AS2821 ANC-ADQ. Unfortunately, you cannot book a one-way (yet, to my knowledge--they're changing this) award using Delta miles (well, you can, but it's the round-trip price), so I can't see a way you can book this ticket now without the return leg also being available. But of course, if you wait for the return to open up, the return might dry up. Right now, the only date you could return home on is on 9/28. This is a case where being elite with Delta would pay off, as you could book the later date and then change it to the earlier date if/when it opens up (and ultimately change/cancel your trip for a full refund without penalty if it never opens up).

Last edited by jackal; Apr 24, 14 at 10:17 am
Old Apr 24, 14, 10:34 am
Original Poster

I'm new at this game but love it. Thanks everyone for your help. I just need to book flights and not be so frugal with the miles. Will lower price mileage awards ever reappear?
Old Apr 24, 14, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

There is always a chance, but with summer in Alaska being peak season- no guarantee,
Old Apr 24, 14, 10:51 am

Programs: AS MVP
8/27 OMA-DEN-ANC F9 flights 437 and 887, 6:05 PM-12:10 AM 10K Frontier miles.
8/28 ANC-ADQ AS flight 1281 (or 49), 4,500 BA Avios transferred from Chase.
9/9 ADQ-ANC AS flight 40, 4:50 PM-5:44 PM, 4500 BA Avios transferred from Chase.
9/10 ANC-DEN-OMA F9 flights 886 and 430, 1:00 AM-11:05 AM, 10K Frontier miles.

I booked my Alaska trip for this summer at 11 months out, and the ideal routings lasted less than a week. As jackal said, flexibility is key. No, don't wait if you want the trip to happen.

Alternately there is a roundabout OMA-ADQ available on 8/27 OMA-PDX-SEA-ANC-ADQ, 12,500 AA miles with a similar short overnight layover in ANC and the same flight into ADQ.
Old Apr 24, 14, 10:54 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
I'm new at this game but love it. Thanks everyone for your help. I just need to book flights and not be so frugal with the miles. Will lower price mileage awards ever reappear?
Only the people who work in Alaska/Delta Revenue Management know the answer to that question. They can reappear at any time. They can disappear just as quickly. You just have to watch like a hawk and be flexible.

One option: I just checked, and there ARE saver seats from ADQ-ANC-SEA and ADQ-ANC-SLC on your return date. The segment that seems to have no saver availability is SEA-OMA/SLC-OMA.

I'm not sure if Delta allows this, but can you book an open jaw ticket OMA-SLC-ANC-ADQ//ADQ-ANC-SEA/SLC and then buy a ticket from SEA/SLC back to OMA? I found SEA-OMA flights available for as little as $146 and SLC-OMA flights from $127. So, your total outlay would be 25,000 DL miles plus $127+.
Old Apr 25, 14, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Have a 5 day hold on a flight August 27th on American/Alaska airlines. OMA-PHX-SEA-ANC-ADQ. !2,500 miles I love to fish but maybe this is crazy.
Old Apr 25, 14, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Have a 5 day hold on a flight August 27th on American/Alaska airlines. OMA-PHX-SEA-ANC-ADQ. !2,500 miles I love to fish but maybe this is crazy.
In Kodiak, its more cathching that fishing Even non fisherman like me can catch the big one.
Old Apr 25, 14, 9:11 am

Excellent! We hosted our annual Alaska do in ADQ last year and had a blast. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...24-7-27-a.html Several in our group went out on a fishing charter and ended up limiting out on both halibut and rockfish in just a few hours. If you are looking for a sea fishing charter, I can recommend both http://www.midnightsuncharters.net/ and also (if you want a slightly funkier, perhaps more customizable guide), Fred O'Hearn at http://www.ptialaska.net/~luckyhk/ (if the email address on that page bounces, PM me and I'll send you his more current address--just don't want to post it publicly for spam reasons, obviously). And if you're looking for river fishing, check with FlyerTalk member beckoa, who can attest to the quality of the various rivers and streams he tested out while we were off doing less boring things than fishing. :P

Now that the flight issue's taken care of, I'll go ahead and move this thread over to the dedicated Alaska destination forum, where folks familiar with travel to Alaska can provide some further pointers.

jackal
Moderator, Information Desk
Old Apr 25, 14, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Have friends in Kodiak, that I'll be staying with. Hope to catch some silvers and some halibut.
Old Apr 25, 14, 12:34 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Have friends in Kodiak, that I'll be staying with. Hope to catch some silvers and some halibut.
Scallops, scallops, scallops. OMG Kodiak scallops.
Old Apr 26, 14, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

I love scallops!!!

Search this Thread