ANC hotel?

Old Feb 6, 14, 1:23 am
Original Poster

ANC hotel?

We're going to get into ANC fairly late in July, and then an early morning flight to ADQ the next day. So I'm wondering about where to stay at ANC.

We've stayed at the Marriott and Captain Cook a few times, but if there is a decent place near the airport, ideally within walking distance to a passable restaurant that might be better. Any ideas appreciated. Thanks
Old Feb 7, 14, 9:08 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
There are a few hotels near the airport. Holiday Inn Express is close to a couple of restaurants in walking distance. Comfort Suites is close to the airport, but not really walking distance to much. Millenium is closer than Comfort Suites to eating, though they also have a restaurant in their hotel.

Are you doing a bear tour in Kodiak?
Old Feb 8, 14, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Thanks

No we're going to Raspberry Island near Kodiak for fishing, but of course hope to see various wildlife as well. After maybe 20 years of fishing in the JNU/ELV and ANC areas, we thought we'd try ADQ, where the limits are higher and the fishing is supposedly better. Our last trip to SE Alaska was relatively disappointing.

We did do the bear trip to Katmai a couple of years ago. Thanks again
Old Feb 11, 14, 11:11 pm
Original Poster

Does anybody have any experience with the Puffin Inn?
Old Feb 12, 14, 12:28 am
AAL

Programs: AS MVPG
The area around the Holiday Inn Express is very sketchy; I wouldn't stay there. I've stayed at the Courtyard when I've had a short overnight at ANC; it was fine, but I don't recall a restaurant. If you want food, the Millennium might be a better choice.
Old Feb 16, 14, 2:40 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by AAL View Post
The area around the Holiday Inn Express is very sketchy; I wouldn't stay there. I've stayed at the Courtyard when I've had a short overnight at ANC; it was fine, but I don't recall a restaurant. If you want food, the Millennium might be a better choice.
Taco King is next to the Courtyard. Some of the best Mexican food in town.
Old Feb 24, 14, 9:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Bonvoy PLAT, Accor PLAT, ex. Priority Pass, Aeroplan Elite
Hotel Alyeska

As recommended by the New York Times:

In addition to Alyeska Resort — which presides over the head of the valley like the grand hotels of the Alps — Girdwood is home to a variety of adventure sports companies, including Chugach Powder Guides. The heli-skiing for which they are famous was outside my budget ($1,275 a day!), but I was hoping that they’d get enough people to run a snowcat tour, which uses the big machines that groom ski slopes to access untracked, backcountry terrain for about a quarter of the cost.

Continue reading the main story

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 4, 14 at 5:00 pm Reason: copyright violations are not allowed on FT
Old Mar 16, 14, 10:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Antonio8069 View Post

In addition to Alyeska Resort — which presides over the head of the valley like the grand hotels of the Alps — Girdwood is home to a variety of adventure sports companies, including Chugach Powder Guides. The heli-skiing for which they are famous was outside my budget ($1,275 a day!), but I was hoping that they’d get enough people to run a snowcat tour, which uses the big machines that groom ski slopes to access untracked, backcountry terrain for about a quarter of the cost.

Yeah we've been to Alyeska and would strongly recommend it. Funny story, as we were pulling into Girdwood, we thought that we saw a statue of a moose in sombody's front yard. Then it moved!

Anyways for this trip we're just looking for a decent place close to ANC. Thanks
'
Old Mar 18, 14, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by Antonio8069 View Post

Alyeska is great, but it's nowhere near the airport.
Old Mar 18, 14, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by PIONEER View Post
Yeah we've been to Alyeska and would strongly recommend it. Funny story, as we were pulling into Girdwood, we thought that we saw a statue of a moose in sombody's front yard. Then it moved!

Anyways for this trip we're just looking for a decent place close to ANC. Thanks
'
If you haven't yet booked your reservation, here is my advice:

There are a bunch of hotels right by ANC, and several more about 3-4 miles away in midtown. Everything in summer will be sky-high expensive. If you're not attached to any rewards program, the Millennium is probably the best of the bunch. Full service, restaurant/bar, great shuttle service, great lobby, average rooms but fine for one night. If you're attached to a rewards program like Marriott or Hilton, the Millennium isn't nice enough to warrant ditching your points.

After the Millennium, I'd probably go with the Courtyard. I've stayed there before and it is perfectly adequate for an overnight layover. There is a Microtel Inn by the airport that is less expensive than the other options, but it is pretty bare bones. There is a Hampton and Crowne Plaza several miles away in midtown if you are Hilton person.

But bottom line, if rewards aren't in the equation just stay at the Millennium. It's the best package for the money.
Old Mar 26, 14, 7:27 am

Programs: DL DM, MM, NEXUS, SC Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LVC everywhere
We just stayed at the Courtyard, arriving 9 PM with a morning flight to FAI.

We were picked up promptly after a phone call. We wanted something to eat, didn't have a car, and the desk clerk had a collection of menus from places that delivered as well as recommendations. We ordered pizza and subs which took about half an hour. The food was good and reasonably priced. We sat in the lobby, outside the bar and picknicked.

They have airport shuttle service every thirty minutes, just sign up at the desk. Nice staff and the rooms were very good. Free wi-fi.

My only criticism is that they don't have storm entries so every time the lobby doors open, a cold breeze wafts through. The desk staff were wearing heavy coats because of that.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: