Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Alaska
Reload this Page >

MR to Anchorage 1/23 - What to do Downtown?

Old Jan 12, 14, 4:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: WN A+ & CP, AA Plat Pro, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Global Entry, CLEAR

So I have a MR scheduled for 1/22 - 1/24 in Anchorage.

I have pretty much a full day downtown (staying at the Hilton) on 1/23.

Other than breakfast at Snow City Cafe and the Alaska State Trooper Museum is there anything to do within walking distance of the Hilton?

Thanks!
Old Jan 12, 14, 2:25 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Are you opposed to renting a car? I would rent a car and drive south along Turnagain Arm. Potter Marsh, Girdwood, drive along the road toward Portage Glacier, absorb the scenery. Last time I did this in winter I saw a moose alongside the road and really enjoyed the scenery.

If you want to stay downtown, I would recommend the Alaska Public Lands Information Center. They should be open 10am to 5pm. They have great displays, lots of information and programs throughout the day (films, speakers, etc). The museum is excellent. I am sure there are lots more things to do, but these come to the top of my head right away.
Old Jan 12, 14, 5:27 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, National Executive Elite
There's an easy answer if you are staying downtown...the Anchorage Museum at Rasmuson Center (6th and C, about a block from the Trooper Museum that you mentioned). There are also some good art galleries on G Street between 3rd and 5th if you are into that kind of thing.

Other than that, downtown Anchorage is pretty quiet this time of year, at least from a tourism perspective.

The Public Lands Information Center, as noted above, is also an interesting place to spend some time.
Old Jan 12, 14, 6:33 pm

Programs: DL DM, .99MM, NEXUS, SC Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LVC everywhere
+1 on the Anchorage Museum (check out their website) and on the drive recommended by fti.

When you leave Snow City Cafe go to Resolution Park, 1 block away at L St. and 3rd Ave. A nice view of the entry to Knik Arm and we've seen Denali from there.

Check the Aurora forecast and if there's a good chance of seeing it, find someplace to go. If you have a car it'll be easier to get away from the city lights. From http://www.aurorahunter.com/aurora-borealis.php

"The northern lights are less common at the Anchorage latitude than they are further north like in Fairbanks. But if you are in Anchorage do not despair, because if the light show makes it here it's usually very strong and active. Head up the Anchorage hillside to the Flattop overlook or Glenn Alps. If you want to get away from the city lights drive north on the Glenn Highway, take the Hiland Road exit at Eagle River and head up Hiland Road. Depending on how far you want to travel the further you head north the better. Break out the map and keep these locations in mind:

Old Glenn Highway and Knik River Road
Hatcher Pass both the Palmer side and the Willow side
Talkeetna is wonderful
Denali Viewpoint South MP 134 on the Parks Hwy"
Old Jan 12, 14, 7:19 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Note - the last time I saw the Northern Lights from Anchorage I headed to Hiland Road. I was so glad I did. Someone I met there said that both the Glen Alps/Flattop area (same thing!) was closed. Same for the area north of Anchorage off the Glenn Highway (can't think of the name, but it is near the military base). So glad I drove directly to Hiland Road!
Old Jan 13, 14, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN A+ & CP, AA Plat Pro, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Global Entry, CLEAR
Awesome!

That'll pretty much fill up my dance card for the day I think.

If I can find the same MR for same or better price I'll be back for round 2

Thank you all!

Search this Thread