Wiki Posts
Search

alaska trip with kids-planning help

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2014, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by bryanwallace
thanks all! my next question is what to do between anc and denali that is fun for kids?
thanks again
I'll concur with the Talkeetna and HQ recommendations. Talkeetna's a great little town for a stopover, with a neat little museum and eateries. Taking a Denali flight, especially with a glacier landing, is a tremendous amount of fun, though it is pricey. The first time we did it, MrsCP and I went on different flights as the little one was only 15 months old. (we took our 12/8-yrs olds with us last summer and they had a blast).

The Iditarod HQ isn't much to see, but is certainly worth a few minutes detour. For kids, the Reindeer Farm in Palmer was a big hit, and only a 15 minute detour total. The musk ox farm is also in Palmer.

working my way through the thread.....

I would agree that the Wildlife Conservation Center would take precedence of the Reindeer Farm and Iditarod HQ, if it's an either/or. But HQ and Reindeer Farm shouldn't take more than 90-120 minutes total, including the detour drive time. We spent several hours at the WCC. We also took a couple of hours to go up the Alyeska tram and do a bit of hiking.

If you're headed to Whittier for a cruise, stop and take the Portage Glacier cruise - a quick 1hr, and also look at the Portage Pass and Byron Glacier hikes along the way, if you're into hiking. Or even stop by on the way down/way up for the Portage cruise and Byron hike, where you don't need to worry about the tunnel schedule.

We had a great 1/2-day kayak with Kayak Adventures Worldwide, even if we did have to be rescued by boat when the winds swung around. Great people to deal with and we saw all kinds of wildlife - dozens of bald eagles, a seal that followed us for a while, etc. 5 might be a bit young without kayaking experience, you'd have to check their policies, though I've kayaked at home with my kids that young just sitting up front.

Last edited by CPRich; Jan 15, 2014 at 10:59 am
Old Jan 15, 2014, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum 5 million miles
Major Marine assigns seats at specific tables but you have the flexibility to move to an empty table or go outside. I have observed people who never leave their seat for the entire cruise. Kenai Fjords also assigns seats.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 11:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
thanks-if some in the group have the buffet and others dont,would we be separated?
Old Jan 15, 2014, 11:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPRich
I'll concur with the Talkeetna and HQ recommendations. Talkeetna's a great little town for a stopover, with a neat little museum and eateries. Taking a Denali flight, especially with a glacier landing, is a tremendous amount of fun, though it is pricey. The first time we did it, MrsCP and I went on different flights as the little one was only 15 months old. (we took our 12/8-yrs olds with us last summer and they had a blast).

The Iditarod HQ isn't much to see, but is certainly worth a few minutes detour. For kids, the Reindeer Farm in Palmer was a big hit, and only a 15 minute detour total. The musk ox farm is also in Palmer.

working my way through the thread.....

I would agree that the Wildlife Conservation Center would take precedence of the Reindeer Farm and Iditarod HQ, if it's an either/or. But HQ and Reindeer Farm shouldn't take more than 90-120 minutes total, including the detour drive time. We spent several hours at the WCC. We also took a couple of hours to go up the Alyeska tram and do a bit of hiking.
alyeska tram sounds interesting-is this the cable car or is that different?
also is that where the good berry picking is?
Old Jan 16, 2014, 8:51 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum 5 million miles
thanks-if some in the group have the buffet and others dont,would we be separated?
No, you will still be seated together. I have travelled with carnivore family members who selected the buffet and we were still assigned to the same table.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyForFun
No, you will still be seated together. I have travelled with carnivore family members who selected the buffet and we were still assigned to the same table.
i see-do they go into a separate room to eat or eat it at the table with you?
Old Jan 16, 2014, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

alyeska tram sounds interesting-is this the cable car or is that different?

I suspect it's the same thing

Old Jan 16, 2014, 11:24 pm
Original Poster

thanks-i presume its fully operational after the crash they had last yr?

seems very pricey but with a restaurant reservation seems to be free so will definitely do it!
seems also the winners creek hand tram is near here is that also worth doing with kids?

sorry about all the questions-but we are keen to see the float planes on lake hood-the millenium hotel seems rather pricey though-is there anywhere else to see them from?

thanks again
Old Jan 17, 2014, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wasn't aware of a crash. I see something happened on New Year's Eve and it re-opened Feb. 9.

Among all of the things we did, that was well down on the list - it was the day we were returning from Seward to catch an evening red-eye and were filling our time.

It's a small detour, and worth an hour or two if you have time, but nowhere near a must-see. I had forgotten the prices - we probably didn't see them until we were there, at which point we figured we might as well continue. The view/hike/experience isn't worth $60 for a family of 4.

I'm not at all familiar with the float planes.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 8:21 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
seems also the winners creek hand tram is near here is that also worth doing with kids?

sorry about all the questions-but we are keen to see the float planes on lake hood-the millenium hotel seems rather pricey though-is there anywhere else to see them from?

thanks again
You can access the hand tram from the west side of the Winner Creek Trail (from Crow Creek Mine Road). It is a much shorter walk from this side and there is plenty of parking at the trailhead as well as restrooms.

Re: Lake Hood. I go toward the airport and turn off at Post Road (to the right). You can park real close to the lake if you follow signs to the Aviation Museum. There are other places to park too, but just be really careful - many of the "roads" in this area are actually active taxiways and not roads!
Old Jan 19, 2014, 8:33 pm

Programs: AS MVP
I'm putting together a trip for July 2-6. I know I don't have enough time, you don't have to rub that in. I never do! Planning beyond where we will spend each night is not really my thing, but I don't know if I have a lot of choice.

We arrive ANC around 2:00 PM on Wednesday, pick up a car and head down toward Seward. We will stop at Exit Glacier and anyplace else we decide, and likely take a Kenai Fjords cruise on Thursday. Our cabin near Seward is already booked for Wednesday and Thursday nights.

So I guess I'm looking for the best low-cost option to see wildlife or another side of Alaska Friday and/or Saturday. I am happy to drive 7 hours to Denali and take the shuttle into the park Saturday but that's a lot of driving and sitting by the time we make it back for a 6:00 A.M. Sunday departure.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 9:01 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by KennyBSAT
I'm putting together a trip for July 2-6. I know I don't have enough time, you don't have to rub that in. I never do! Planning beyond where we will spend each night is not really my thing, but I don't know if I have a lot of choice.

We arrive ANC around 2:00 PM on Wednesday, pick up a car and head down toward Seward. We will stop at Exit Glacier and anyplace else we decide, and likely take a Kenai Fjords cruise on Thursday. Our cabin near Seward is already booked for Wednesday and Thursday nights.

So I guess I'm looking for the best low-cost option to see wildlife or another side of Alaska Friday and/or Saturday. I am happy to drive 7 hours to Denali and take the shuttle into the park Saturday but that's a lot of driving and sitting by the time we make it back for a 6:00 A.M. Sunday departure.
Presumably you're aware that the 4th of July in Seward is a complete zoo - ought to be enjoyable as a visitor, but be prepared for crowded everything.

I'd say Denali is out - too far, too much driving. Instead I'd do a glacier cruise out of Whittier (quite different from the Kenai Fjords) and maybe end with a flightseeing trip out of Anchorage. You can't fully appreciate the vastness and diversity of Alaska from ground/sea level, so even if it's a short flight over the Chugach Mts. or across Cook Inlet to see the volcanoes, any experience in a light plane is so worth the money it costs.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 9:10 pm

We hope to leave Seward early on the 4th - not really looking to join crowds.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 2:18 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by KennyBSAT
We hope to leave Seward early on the 4th - not really looking to join crowds.
You will certainly see crowds in Seward the entire time you are there, especially July 3.

Who is "we"? Especially, but not only, with kids, you might consider spending time along Turnagain Arm. Girdwood has a good variety of lodging. You could easily spend 2 nights in this area - Wildlife Conservation Center, Portage Glacier area, Prince William Sound glacier cruises, gold panning, lots of hiking and more.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by fti
You will certainly see crowds in Seward the entire time you are there, especially July 3.

Who is "we"? Especially, but not only, with kids, you might consider spending time along Turnagain Arm. Girdwood has a good variety of lodging. You could easily spend 2 nights in this area - Wildlife Conservation Center, Portage Glacier area, Prince William Sound glacier cruises, gold panning, lots of hiking and more.
I understand everything will be busy and as crowded as it gets, but we will skip the 4th acivities.

Sorry, we are my wife and I, and 10 and 13 year old boys. She is an amputee and can't typically hike more than a mile or so at a time, so short hikes and walks are best for us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.