Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Alaska
Reload this Page >

Restaurant Recommendations and Questions

Old Oct 6, 13, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier Platinum; Marriott Gold; Starwood Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond; Hertz Pres Circle

I'm going on a day trip to ANC. I will have a full day and will rent a car. I want to see Potter Marsh, Portage Glacier and head into Wasilla. Any restaurant recommendations? Also, how should I time this? Where to first? I'm sure I'll be up early because of the time change and have until midnight.
Old Oct 6, 13, 2:30 pm

Programs: DL FO, HH Ag
You realize that Portage Glacier and Wasilla are in opposite directions, right? What time of year are you making the trip? The Portage Glacier cruises only run May-September and take about an hour once you get there.

Traffic on Seward Hwy along Turnagain Arm can be very heavy with slow-moving vehicles, but there is lots to see and do along that stretch, especially if you spend some time in Girdwood or take a side trip to Alyeska Resort or Whittier. Personally I would skip Wasilla unless there is something there that you absolutely positively have to see.

-JimG
Old Oct 7, 13, 10:48 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Actually if you have a full day, it is easy to head both north and south of Anchorage - but only if you have a purpose for both.

There is lots to see/do along Turnagain Arm besides just Potter Marsh and Portage Glacier (actually the only way to see Portage Glacier is a 1 hour boat tour or a hike from Whittier). Girdwood is a great town to spend time in, the Wildlife Conservation Center, Winner Creek Trail with the hand tram, gold panning at Indian Valley or Crow Creek Mine, Begich Boggs Visitor Center and more.

There are some nice eating selections in Girdwood. I have been to Silvertip a couple of times. Good burgers in a bar/casual atmosphere. Several other choices there too though.

What are your interests? I might suggest a Prince William Sound tour from Whittier if glaciers are of interest. You can still see/do a lot along Turnagain Arm before or after the glacier tour, which is 3-1/2 to 5 hours long, starting in the afternoon.
Old Oct 7, 13, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier Platinum; Marriott Gold; Starwood Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond; Hertz Pres Circle
I'm going this week. I'm not sure what will be open now - because of the season or because of the government shutdown (national parks). Thanks for the help!
Old Oct 7, 13, 2:22 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Pretty sure the Whittier glacier cruise operators have wrapped up for the year.

If you're there on a day it's operating, and if the weather is decent, the tram/gondola at the Alyeska ski resort in Girdwood would be an excellent diversion.

http://www.alyeskaresort.com/resort/...rial-tram.aspx
Old Oct 7, 13, 9:52 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Yes, the Whittier cruises ended Sep 30. But it is hard to give advice with vague posts, no dates, etc.

Enjoy the time in Alaska!
Old Oct 17, 13, 2:56 pm

Programs: QF Silver
Agree with JimG that without a specific requirement I would skip Wasilla (the view of Russia is highly overstated.) Only reason to stop is if your heading further to Talkeetna or Denali.

In ANC proper Gwennie's on Spenard is cute for breakfast & I can recommend Simon & Seafort's for seafood.

If you head toward Alyeska pass on the nearby little wildlife reserve, it's always a bit depressing, but you might consider heading to Whittier -- the tunnel is worth the trip.
Old Oct 17, 13, 5:21 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Flying Blue
Restaurant recommendation: try the blackened fish tacos at the Beartooth Grill.

Search this Thread