fairbanks restaurants

Old Sep 7, 13, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: continental united starwood hilton marriott
fairbanks restaurants

my wife and I are looking for one or 2 good restaurants in Fairbanks, fish and local are our preference. Any suggestions would be appreciated
Old Sep 7, 13, 6:48 pm
Moderator, Alaska Airlines & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Originally Posted by arubalad View Post
my wife and I are looking for one or 2 good restaurants in Fairbanks, fish and local are our preference. Any suggestions would be appreciated
Two Rivers Lodge, several miles out on the Chena Hot Springs Road, has been one of my top favorites in the Fairbanks area. Amazing food and good, fresh fish (not hard to find in Fairbanks, but not easy, either).

Lavelle's Bistro is probably the closest thing Fairbanks has to fine dining. Very good and also an extremely extensive wine list (comparable to a good restaurant in New York).

The Pump House is one of those places that's been around forever and kind of embodies all that Fairbanks is. It's not out-of-this-world food, but it's decent, and the ambiance (on the river and in an old building).

Fairbanks has surprisingly good Thai (and, inexplicably, tons of it). Lemon Grass and Thai House are some of the top ones.

Big Daddy's BBQ seems to do well in BBQ competitions around the country, and I'll attest their BBQ is certainly better than what you typically get outside of well-known BBQ destination cities.

If you're looking for a bit more Americana, The Cookie Jar is both good for food and has a prodigious bakery. Sam's Sourdough Cafe is also a good spot, especially for breakfast. (It burned down last year but I think they've rebuilt.)

Turtle Club is famous (and justly so) for their prime rib.

Also, I have a soft spot for Taco King...it's my personal comfort food. This taqueria has the best Mexican rice I've ever had (I could eat a vat of it), and on a cold day, few things beat the cheap beef enchilada special (on a warmer day, go for the torta de pollo).

Last, check out this five-year-old thread that may give you a bit more to go on: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...endations.html

Search this Thread