Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Alaska
Reload this Page >

Ultima Thule Lodge trip

Ultima Thule Lodge trip

Old Jul 17, 13, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skymiles Plat/1MM, United Prem, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Ultima Thule Lodge trip

I've seen short mentions of Ultima Thule - just returned from a trip to this lodge and cannot recommend it highly enough. I've visited Alaska many times, but this place and the team of people there are amazing. It's a very personal trip - you fill out a questionnaire prior to arriving, so they are aware of your fitness level, what you're most interested in doing (ie skiing, fishing, wildlife viewing, hiking, etc.), dietary issues, etc. And when you show up (I traveled solo), you have a pilot/guide who is focused on you. The place is remote, even for Alaska, and that is a great part of its appeal. You can get to places in the Super Cubs that are hard to believe (and I've been flying in small planes to remote locations my whole life) - and flying right down a gorge, right above a rushing river is WAY too much fun! The lodge has individual cabins (6 of them) and a main lodge and a sauna/self-spa cabin. And the cabins are quite luxurious - king beds, excellent linens, walk-in showers, great bath amenities. Food is plentiful and good - and they really cater to people's specific dietary requests. If you're looking to get away to a stunning, wild, fun, no-signs-of-any-other-people place, I would highly recommend checking out Ultima Thule.
Old Jul 17, 13, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thanks!

so no single supplement, always nice. do you know if they will do 2 rooms?
(IIRC singita does up to 3 single rooms, for example.)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 18, 13 at 9:19 pm
Old Jul 18, 13, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skymiles Plat/1MM, United Prem, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Kate, I bet they would do two cabins for two singles - Ellie is the GM and she's great. It would probably depend on how booked they were.

I never felt unsafe for a second. But if you are very clear about fitness, things that might be bothersome, your pilot/guide can work with that ( Paul, the owner and chief pilot, seems to do a really good job of matching guests with guides - and I visited with several of the pilots and liked each of them a lot).
Old Sep 7, 13, 7:14 pm
Moderator, Alaska Airlines & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Hmm...inspiration for a future Alaska Do.

I've known Paul and Donna Claus for several years. Good people, and although I've never been up to their lodge (although I've had friends who've worked there), I hear nothing but jaw-dropping amazement from people who have been.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: