Wiki Posts
Search

Glacier Bay

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2013, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Glacier Bay

Hello to you all.
We're planning a trip to Alaska this summer, and in the end of it we're planning on getting to Haines (2-3 days), and taking the ferry to Juneau (2-3 days). From Juneau we're flying out towards New- York.
We read and heard a lot about cruises in Glacier Bay, both whales- watching cruises, and glaciers cruises.
My questions are:
1. Where is the best departure point for these cruises? Haines or Juneau?
2. Is the whales watching and glaciers cruises are the same cruise, or we're talking about different cruises?
3. Is each one of the cruises worth spending a whole day on? How long will an average cruise take?
4. Can you recommend a favorite cruises company, to book from?

Thanks a lot for all of you who'll answer, we surely need some guideness...
Ziv.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 11:14 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Well, if you want to see Glacier Bay you're far better off getting yourself to Gustavus (which is served by AS in the summer; search for GST). Haines has no Glacier Bay cruises that I am aware of. From there, Glacier Bay National Park has a vendor that offers day cruises into the park, which combine wildlife and glaciers but definitely focus on glaciers. I've done it and really enjoyed the trip; Gustavus is a neat little community as well.

You'd be wise to google the NPS website for Glacier Bay National Park.

Alternatively, you could also do a separate whale watching cruise that departs from Juneau. Bottom line is that if you want to get to Glacier Bay, you need to go to Glacier Bay itself, not try and do it from Juneau in a day.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 12:36 pm

If you're already taking the ferry from Haines to Juneau, you may as well see if the ferry from Juneau to Gustavus fits into your schedule as well. You could then fly GST-JNU, and possibly spend a day there before heading back to New York.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 11:14 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
You can book a flight over Glacier Bay from Haines.

But as was said getting to Gustavus is best. The day cruises leave from Bartlett Cove near Gustsvus abd are well worth it. Whale watching from Gustavus with Taz is great but you can do the whale watching in Juneau too (Harv and Marvs is my favorite in Juneau).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.