Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Alaska
Reload this Page >

Anchorage and Fairbanks in July

Old Apr 2, 13, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Flying to ANC July 13. Planning to go to Fairbanks July 17 and stay there until July 22. Any suggestions/recommendations are appreciated.
Old Apr 8, 13, 8:26 pm

Out of FAI, consider an overnight trip to Barrow. Stay at the King Eider Inn, walk the town, take a tour to the beach, and dip your toes in the Arctic ocean. In Fairbanks, there's the University, several good restaurants, and various tourist attractions including a river cruise and a complex which includes a nice air museum. All are worthwhile. But you can exhaust the local possibilities after a few days, so I would think about getting outta town for at least one day. If not Barrow, there are all kinds of hikes etc. to do. BTW, going ANC-FAI, squeeze in Denali if you can. I'm an advocate of the train.
Old Apr 8, 13, 11:06 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
I'll agree with PIONEER that if you are taking the highway or railroad between Anchorage and Fairbanks you should stop and spend a day or two at Denali.

If you're into hiking and the outdoors, there is some great hiking in the Fairbanks area. Angel Rocks is a good day hike. In addition the University of Alaska Museum of the North is outstanding, and Riverboat Discovery is touristy but worth doing. A drive out to Chena Hot Springs can also be fun when combined with a soak in the springs. You're likely to have better summer weather in Fairbanks than Anchorage, so that may factor in to your plans (especially if they involve being outside).

As for Anchorage, it really depends on what you are in to. Anchorage has more touristy things to do than Fairbanks, but Fairbanks is more "Alaskan". It really depends on what floats your boat.
Old Apr 10, 13, 11:48 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
how are you getting from Anchorage to Fairbanks?

what was your original reason for 5 nights in Fairbanks? I hope it was not mainly due to hotel points. five nights in Fairbanks is a long time.

I too strongly suggest a trip to Denali National Park. you need at least one maybe two nights from Fairbanks. Take a shuttle bus to Wonder Lake on the full day in Denali.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: