FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-449/)
-   -   4 days in Alaska..need help with itinerary! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska/1453948-4-days-alaska-need-help-itinerary.html)

mswombat Mar 30, 2013 9:48 pm

4 days in Alaska..need help with itinerary!

This will be our first time in Alaska, landing in Anchorage from NYC. We are thinking about spending 2 days in Seaward. One day driving down from Anchorage and stopping by points of interests along the way. 2nd day spent at the Kenai Fjords National Park (Thinking about kayaking in Aialik Bay to be closer to the glaciers but it looks pricey, is there any other way to be in the fijords? ). Should we drive up to Denali National Park afterwards or is it too much? If not, what is recommended?

djp98374 Mar 31, 2013 1:51 am

There have been quiet a few other threads on doing Seward area. It's very doable for a 4 day period. There are two different dat long sealift viewing trips you can do. Then spend a day each way exploring the area between Seward and anchorage. Another option is to do train each way then do day rental in anchorage and explore the area.

satman40 Mar 31, 2013 3:01 am

You will find the Glacier trips discounted, while you are in the area, go back up a bit and take a left and head down Homer way, and check out the Kenai area, there are a lot of towns and places to visit, and in many way more interesting than Seward

Gardyloo Mar 31, 2013 8:55 am

With four days you have nowhere enough time to include both Seward and Kenai Fjords NP and Denali. The distances are too great and Denali requires a minimum of two days just to get a small distance into the national park, rather than the headquarters/hotel area.

When are you making this trip?

cchrissyy Apr 19, 2013 11:39 pm

4 days is fine for seeing Anchorage, or for your Seward idea plus a little bit of Anchorage and the stops along the way.

4 days is not enough for Denali, and I'd probably still be saying that even if ALL you wanted to do was drive from ANC airport directly to Denali, stay there, and come back to ANC airport.

fti Apr 21, 2013 4:45 pm

Not knowing what you really mean by "4 days" it is hard to say exactly how much time is enough for what you want to do. What day/time do you arrive and what day/time do you depart?

In any case, 4 days will allow you to go to either Seward or Denali NP, but not both. You can certainly have 3 nights/4 days and visit Denali, though it would not be my ideal visit (I am usually in the park for 4-7 days at a time). But for most people Denali is definitely doable in 4 days - though as was stated, definitely not both Seward and Kenai Fjords.