Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Alaska
Reload this Page >

Gear for Northern Alaska-Coldfoot

Old Feb 12, 13, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Hi,
I am travelling to Northern Alaska(Coldfoot) during the 3rd week of March. I was hoping to use my ski jacket with Mountain gear Monkey Man middle layer and a mid weight thermal. Is that reasonable? Do I need to spend on a WildThings or a 700-fill Down Jacket?

Should I be investing in a Compressor pant along with a thermal underlayer?

Thanks much.
Rahul
Old Feb 12, 13, 10:52 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by rahulrv View Post
Hi,
I am travelling to Northern Alaska(Coldfoot) during the 3rd week of March. I was hoping to use my ski jacket with Mountain gear Monkey Man middle layer and a mid weight thermal. Is that reasonable? Do I need to spend on a WildThings or a 700-fill Down Jacket?

Thanks much.
Rahul
Well, Fairbanks (200 miles south) can get to 10 or 20 below zero at night in mid March.

Better safe than sorry, if you get my drift.
Old Mar 1, 13, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by rahulrv View Post
Hi,

Thanks much.
Rahul
You might check with where you are staying in Coldfoot. I was in FAI a couple weeks ago - one night got down to -39 (unusual, the rest of the time it was -10 to -20). I spent a couple nights at Chena Hot Springs, and they have cold weather gear to rent (boots, pants, coats). If you aren't going to use the gear again/often, it can be costly.

You might remember your face. I used a balaclava at night, a winter buff during the day, but I kind of wished I'd taken ski goggles for better coverage (warmth).

Search this Thread