Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Alaska
Reload this Page >

Flying into ANC, 3 Days, What to Do?

Flying into ANC, 3 Days, What to Do?

Old Aug 29, 2012, 7:32 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by CPRich
I suspect that some year, post retirement, I'll be spending a summer up there. There just something special about it to me.
Same here. After 27 trips to Alaska and another planned for next month, I still haven't seen all there is to see in Alaska, though I have seen more than most.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by smith80678
Floatplane? I think i would rather take my chances with the grizzly up in Denali
Actually, there's nothing to be afraid of. Go with a reputable company and the pilot flying you will likely have been doing it longer than I've been alive.

Originally Posted by CPRich
I think you could spend 3 months, or 3 years, and not see it all. It's a big place

Even spending the 10 days I just spent, we couldn't get to Fairbanks, couldn't get to Valdez, couldn't get to Homer - all of which were on our "want to visit list". And those are all still just the "tourist" spots - we didn't even get close to visiting Unalakleet and checking in with Ariel Tweto

I suspect that some year, post retirement, I'll be spending a summer up there. There just something special about it to me.
Try 17 years of making it a point to get to as much of the state as possible and still not doing it before I left. I've driven every highway in the state that's connected to the main road system (and a few that aren't) and have visited over two dozen airports and still felt like I barely scratched the surface. Moving away has only reinforced my desire to go back and make the most of trying to see as much as possible as often as I can!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.