Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska RR - Anchorage to Seward

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2012, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Alaska RR - Anchorage to Seward

Is this a very scenic trip? I noticed on the NLCB that they offer 2-for-1 tickets with a coupon.

The Alaska RR was not part of the itinerary, due to the short duration of this part of the trip, but with then coupon, I would consider it.

Thanks.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 2:37 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
What is your entire itinerary? How else would you get to Seward? How long would you stay?

I have taken both the train and a rental car to Seward. The train veers off from the road for a while and you see a glacier in the distance. So it can be considered slightly more scenic. However, the train doesn't stop every time you see something you like and want to look further and/or take a photo. I have seen sheep and moose along Turnagain Arm and often stop for that or just the scenery. Also, there is so much to do/see along this route that if you drive you have a chance to do/see much of it. Potter Marsh, the turnouts for scenic viewing of the water and mountains, Girdwood (Alyeska tram, "hand tram" and more), Wildlife Conservation Center, Portage Glacier area, the cute town of Hope and more. It often takes me 4-6 hours to get from Anchorage to Seward depending on how many stops I make.

A key reason for going to Seward is to take a Kenai Fjords National Park boat tour of 6 hours or longer.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA, DL
I would echo what FTI said. We just got back from our honeymoon and took that train. We had 2 days (1 night) in Seward, took the train to and from Girdwood. The train route is scenic, but the road route is also very pretty.

On the train we saw 3 black bears and 2 moose. But all of them were hard to take pictures of as the train was moving fairly quickly. However the route still takes longer than taking a car with multiple stops. If you do take the train, the upgrade to goldstar is more than worth it.

The Wildlife cruise we went on in Seward was exceptional! I recommend staying at least one night if doing the bay cruise, as train-cruise-train is a very tight schedule.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 4:49 pm

If you do the train with NLCB you can upgrade to the dome car 24 hours prior if available. We did and it was nice.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 9:29 am

The train ride is absolutely amazing, but as some other people have said, you have to sit in the dome car (gold star service), it's worth every penny.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.