FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-449/)
-   -   Anchorage - Local Food Suggestions (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska/1357583-anchorage-local-food-suggestions.html)

sounddesigner Jun 17, 2012 9:49 am

Anchorage - Local Food Suggestions

Hi gang! I'll be visiting ANC for the first time later this week and I was hoping to hear back regarding local food ideas. What I'm looking for are places that serve that one specialty that brings people in. As an example, I'd love to hear stuff like:

"Man, I go to Chili Joe's once a week for a bowl of their reindeer chili."

Stuff like that. For the most part, I'm not a follower of the default "high price = good food" way of thinking and am not afraid to find the world's greatest breakfast burrito in the back of Mary's Lube and Tire Shop. Thanks in advance for any help, really looking forward to exploring ANC and the areas around the city!

jerry a. laska Jun 17, 2012 1:42 pm

Why not start here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...st-food-4.html

Gardyloo Jun 18, 2012 11:27 am

Originally Posted by sounddesigner (Post 18771183)
Hi gang! I'll be visiting ANC for the first time later this week and I was hoping to hear back regarding local food ideas. What I'm looking for are places that serve that one specialty that brings people in. As an example, I'd love to hear stuff like:

"Man, I go to Chili Joe's once a week for a bowl of their reindeer chili."

Stuff like that. For the most part, I'm not a follower of the default "high price = good food" way of thinking and am not afraid to find the world's greatest breakfast burrito in the back of Mary's Lube and Tire Shop. Thanks in advance for any help, really looking forward to exploring ANC and the areas around the city!

Welcome to FT!

Just a few suggestions, none with muktuk or seal blood soup on the menu:

Arctic Roadrunner (aka "Local Burgerman") on Old Seward Hwy near International Airport Rd.: best burgers in Anchorage (IMO) and a real "locals" place. Order a Kodiak Special, an order of onion "pieces" (not rings) and something to drink, go sit by the creek and listen to your arteries harden. Magic. Cash only.

Aladdin's, on Old Seward closer to Tudor (i.e. closer to town): Some of the best Middle Eastern food you'll get in the US, never mind Alaska. Great family-run place with an interesting menu. In a strip mall.

Lucky Wishbone on E. Fifth, a ways past the Sheraton (hence sort of downtown-ish): Great fried chicken and shakes. I guess you'd call it a "diner" anywhere else. Guilty pleasure: load up at The 'Bone and take it back to your hotel room, where you can gorge in privacy.

If you really, really need Alaska kitsch, then Gwennie's on Spenard Road will more than meet your requirements. Order breakfast. Walk around the floatplanes at Lake Hood afterward to let things compact.

You will likely need a car for any/all of these.

sounddesigner Jun 18, 2012 7:42 pm

Gardyloo....what a fabulous list! I have the aforementioned requirements of car, cash, and most importantly, appetite! Thank you so much for you hospitality on the forum. I'm gonna make sure the family and I hit all the spots! After watching a bunch of Flying Wild Alaska I'll take your advice and skip the Muktuk. :)

allset2travel Jun 21, 2012 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by Gardyloo (Post 18776925)
Arctic Roadrunner (aka "Local Burgerman") on Old Seward Hwy near International Airport Rd.: best burgers in Anchorage (IMO) and a real "locals" place.

Lucky Wishbone on E. Fifth, a ways past the Sheraton (hence sort of downtown-ish): Great fried chicken and shakes.

If you really, really need Alaska kitsch, then Gwennie's on Spenard Road will more than meet your requirements. Order breakfast.

Great suggestions and I am taking notes. Thanks Gardyloo.

HawaiiTrvlr Jun 29, 2012 3:56 pm

I would offer up Humpy's for their halibut fish and chips, plus great beer selections. They are located downtown. Same goes for the best pizza around at Moose's Tooth Pizza (they brew their own beer too). They are located off Seward Highway (they have a theater location too somewhere in town).

BuckleandBoots Jul 18, 2012 6:47 pm

Anchorage - Local Food Suggestions

Thanks for posting y'all! I'm going to give some of these a try.