FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-449/)
-   -   Delta Award Travel to Alaska (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska/1260768-delta-award-travel-alaska.html)

fearziz Sep 20, 2011 8:30 am

Delta Award Travel to Alaska

I have some Delta miles to burn on a reward ticket. I can fly from TYS to Anchorage (normally 700$). I want to do some duck hunting and fishing. Any idea where the best all around place to do this would be?

fti Sep 20, 2011 12:35 pm

When do you want to travel? How long will your trip be? I am not much into hunting or fishing, so perhaps someone else can answer that question.

Also, remember that Alaska Air is a partner with Delta and that you are allowed a stopover on an award ticket. So it is a cheap and easy way to fly to both Anchroage and one other destination. I have used this feature to fly to Kodiak, King Salmon, Cordova and other places besides Anchorage. Or to Yakutat, Sitka or Glacier Bay besides Juneau.

PIONEER Sep 23, 2011 9:15 pm

Is this for like right now, or next year? What type of fishing...deep sea or fly? I have deep sea fished extensively, May-Sept, mainly in the panhandle, and have gotten plenty wet and cold on some days. But I have also had some great days with sun and lots of fish. If you're thinking next year, there are great lodges in Elfin Cove (out of Juneau) , Gustavus, Sitka etc. If you're thinking over the next 6 months, I don't really know what to tell you except that you or your outfitter should have plenty of warm and dry rain gear.

belfordrocks Sep 24, 2011 7:33 am

Yep, have an intermediate stop in ANC but do venture into rural Alaska taking advantage of the free stopover (and the fact that revenue fares can be quite high too ;))

fti Sep 24, 2011 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by belfordrocks (Post 17164727)
Yep, have an intermediate stop in ANC but do venture into rural Alaska taking advantage of the free stopover (and the fact that revenue fares can be quite high too ;))

Just remember that you are only allowed one "stopover" which is defined by DL as any connection >4 hours. Has nothing to do with "next flight out." It can be hard to find cities that have connections of 4 hours or less in Anchorage when returning. For example, Kodiak-Anchorage-Seattle-Minneapolis has one set of connections that works with no "stopovers." Also remember that you can fly Alaska Air when using DL miles, but you can't use Alaska Air's partners like Era and PenAir. It takes some work to find the right combinations, but the work definitely pays off by being able to see new places in Alaska.

belfordrocks Sep 25, 2011 5:17 am

Still, there are plenty of places in Alaska flown by AS metal itself. And you wouldn't want the destination to be so remote that you might end up stranded ;)

fearziz Sep 25, 2011 3:45 pm

two full work weeks between sept - dec 2012 when duck hunting season starts and ends +i will salmon fish. I have a sister in Portland, can I stop over there?

fti Sep 25, 2011 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by belfordrocks (Post 17168676)
Still, there are plenty of places in Alaska flown by AS metal itself. And you wouldn't want the destination to be so remote that you might end up stranded ;)

Why not? Where is your sense of adventure? :D

Originally Posted by fearziz (Post 17171159)
two full work weeks between sept - dec 2012 when duck hunting season starts and ends +i will salmon fish. I have a sister in Portland, can I stop over there?

I am not sure of the valid routings, but certainly you can stop off in SEA. Since there is an ANC-PDX non-stop flight I would be surprised if you would not be able to stop in PDX if you took this non-stop flight.