Wiki Posts
Search

Assistance with our Alaska Honeymoon Trip

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2011, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DL
Assistance with our Alaska Honeymoon Trip

My fiance and I both opened separate BofA Visa 40k cards and got our Miles. We would like to use these on our honeymoon (MSP to ANC) next August.

A few questions.

1) What is the best way to go about doing this (i.e. pulling miles from two accounts for the same itenerary)? Should I call, because I cannot figure out how to do it online?

2) Is there anyway to use miles for first class one way and coach the other? We would like to fly out first class, but only have 40k each so would need to fly coach one way at least. Is this possible? AA's award tool is easy to do this, but I see no way on AS tool.

3) Is it best to book as soon as the part of the calendar we wish to fly in is open? Or should we wait? (Logic tells me to book ASAP).

4) Our boardroom passes, sadly say expires Aug 3rd. Is there a snokflakes chance in hell that they would push that date out for us? Or do we get 2 new ones on renewal? going MSP to ANC requires a layover each way in SEA, and some of them are lengthy. Or is it cheaper to buy 2 separate one day passes then pay the renewal fee?

Thanks for the help! it is greatly appreciated!
Old Aug 11, 2011, 11:57 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver,United Miles plus Hawaiian Air AirTran SWA
Why not use the 99 dollar companion Certificate and book First both ways?
Old Aug 11, 2011, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tony10s
Why not use the 99 dollar companion Certificate and book First both ways?
Wouldnt that be the cost of a first class ticket plus $99? I understand that is a reasonable price for a whole package, but we are on a bit of a budget and would prefer to keep cost down where possible.

I look on AS policys and I cannot book an award ticket and a $99 companion ticket on the same itenerary.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 12:13 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
If you're using separate mileage accounts, to do it online, you'll need to do two separate bookings. Or 4 if you want to book 1 way trips so you can do the First/Coach combo.

Your best bet in this situation would be to call. Yes, there is a $15 fee per ticket, but in your case, I think its worth it to make sure you don't book something that only has space for 1 person and end up flying separately
Old Aug 11, 2011, 12:13 pm

Board Room day passes do not come with renewal
Old Aug 11, 2011, 12:41 pm

Programs: Nada of note these days….
I realize that your are on a budget but have you contemplated taking a cruise ship down to Seattle from Alaska for the return leg of your honeymoon??? Good way to see some of the sights along the way.
You could grab a one way flight from SEA to MSP to complete your journey.

Just an idea.....
Old Aug 11, 2011, 5:11 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k
Originally Posted by Miss0033
A few questions.
1) What is the best way to go about doing this (i.e. pulling miles from two accounts for the same itenerary)? Should I call, because I cannot figure out how to do it online?
on the front page, select ONE WAY, select AWARD TRAVEL, and select AWARD CALENDER to see availability for all of AUG, MSP-ANC. No need to move miles between accounts if you both have 40k, though they may be able to do this for you if you call in. Just book one way in first now for 25k and wait to accrue some miles to book the return in F or book it now in coach.

2) Is there anyway to use miles for first class one way and coach the other? We would like to fly out first class, but only have 40k each so would need to fly coach one way at least. Is this possible? AA's award tool is easy to do this, but I see no way on AS tool.
yep, just search for separate one way awards as per above

3) Is it best to book as soon as the part of the calendar we wish to fly in is open? Or should we wait? (Logic tells me to book ASAP).
why not book one way awards for each of you, from your respective accounts, in first, either to or from ANC. You could book the other direction now in coach, or spend the next 6 months accruing miles through promotions and use of the BOA card til you have enough for the other F one-way ticket. the miles will accumulate quickly with diligence to promotions. if you fall a little short you can always buy the last few thousand miles. Availability shouldn't be a big problem this far out but will become nearly impossible for 2 ppl as the date nears.

4) Our boardroom passes, sadly say expires Aug 3rd. Is there a snokflakes chance in hell that they would push that date out for us? Or do we get 2 new ones on renewal? going MSP to ANC requires a layover each way in SEA, and some of them are lengthy. Or is it cheaper to buy 2 separate one day passes then pay the renewal fee?
if you'll be heading to ANC by the 3rd, fly up in coach or wait to book F until you've got more miles, use your BR passes to give yourselves a taste of the good life, and pamper yourselves on the return with F award tickets which include BR access
Old Aug 12, 2011, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the input everyone, I appreciate it.

We havent ruled anything out, but for our 8-10 day trip and what we want to do, the cruise cuts a huge chunk out of that and blows up the budget. We are trying to cap it at $3,000 each or that ballpark anyway.

evoG I like your thinking and that is probably what we will end up doing.

I do have one more question, and maybe Missydarlin or someone could help.

MSP-SEA-ANC going there. Coming home would it be possible to do ANC-JNU stay overnight in Juneau then JNU-SEA-MSP on one ticket? Of is that 2 separate flights. I know on Int'l flights they sometimes do stop overs, but not sure if its possible for Domestic.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 8:44 am
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
how many miles short of an F award both ways would you be?
Old Aug 14, 2011, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ANC
how many miles short of an F award both ways would you be?
ANC -

I am currently at 41,380 Alaska miles, Fiance is at 40,560. So give or take we are a combined 18,000+ miles away. I will not hit that in credit card activity by then (8/2012). We have already asked about paying the different vendors for our wedding by credit card, but they take cash or check only, sadly.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 12:51 pm

You can buy the miles you'd need for around $500. You just have to decide whether its worth $250 each to get to do the whole trip in First Class.

And unless things have changed and no one told me, you can take a stopover in JNU on an Alaska to Lower 48 award ticket.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 1:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wonderous device: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9800; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Yup, a stopover should be fine, pending avail of 'A' class (Saver F award space)
Old Aug 15, 2011, 6:51 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
http://www.esurance.com/quote822?promoid=AKAAF433

500 miles each in case this help get you guys to your goal.

As a heads up, they might check your credit. Not sure what the rules are in MN.

http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/...e-quote.13558/

Last edited by SFOPhD; Aug 15, 2011 at 6:56 pm Reason: credit pull
Old Aug 16, 2011, 6:41 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by missydarlin
You can buy the miles you'd need for around $500. You just have to decide whether its worth $250 each to get to do the whole trip in First Class.

And unless things have changed and no one told me, you can take a stopover in JNU on an Alaska to Lower 48 award ticket.
that was my thought as well in asking how many miles they had ^
Old Aug 17, 2011, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Thanks guys!

Did the esurance for one of us (supposed to be a soft pull, will verify in a week and repeat if true).

Also we found out that for a $25 fee, our reception venue will let us swipe a visa. So there goes another 5-6,000 miles.

We are getting closer all the time.

I appreciate all the help. I plan to book the trip in september once the first 2 weeks of August 2012 open up on the alaskaair site for availability of award ticekts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.